Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bedfordshire Bronco

Feet inches stones and pounds

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, derk said:

dont forget do do your measurements at approximately 4 degrees celsius

Centigrade!

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More on this from the BBC:

From 2007:

EU gives up on 'metric Britain'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6988521.stm

 

And from 2011:

Will British people ever think in metric?


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16245391

“It is 200 years since Napoleon backtracked on his grand scheme to make his empire metric, but today the British remain unique in Europe by holding onto imperial weights and measures. 

Call it a proud expression of national identity or a stubborn refusal to engage with the neighbours. Either way, the persistent British preference for imperial over metric is particularly noteworthy at a time when its links with Europe are under greater scrutiny than ever.”

 

For me (and I’d say most others) it’s not about national identity in sticking to using British stuff or refusing to use anything French, it’s more the nuisance factor of having to adjust. If I see (or hear a NZ/Aussie commentator) say a rugby player weighs 105 kilos, I just think that’s heavy without knowing exactly what weight that is. 1.90 cm plus you just think tall, but I couldn’t convert what that is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the sense growing up and being taught only metric, that I like thinking in imperial but measuring and working in metric. By that I mean I'd say "he's about six foot tall" or that a TV is "75inch", but wouldn't have a clue when it came to measuring using the system. I only know pints because of Beer and Milk and fluid ounces or pounds make no sense to me at all.

I suppose imperial for distance is easier given that its based off bodily measurements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Opera internet browser has a feature where, if you highlight a metric measurement, a little "translation" to imperial appears, and vice versa. It does the same with Fahrenheit and Celsius. Do other browsers offer this? I don't use it much, but it is useful when I need it.

As for which one I use, that varies, depending on the measurement and who I'm talking to. I'm more likely to say something's an inch or a foot, rather than 2.5cm or 30cm, but I'll use cm and mm where they are better suited.

When I'm cooking, I'll mix up the measurements, if it means I can read it in nicely-rounded numbers.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I get the sense growing up and being taught only metric, that I like thinking in imperial but measuring and working in metric. By that I mean I'd say "he's about six foot tall" or that a TV is "75inch", but wouldn't have a clue when it came to measuring using the system. I only know pints because of Beer and Milk and fluid ounces or pounds make no sense to me at all.

I suppose imperial for distance is easier given that its based off bodily measurements.

Body measurements is one aspect, but ultimately imperial for distance is easier for us, because road signs are in miles and yards. For those that use metric that come here it’s bloody difficult.

What you are taught in school doesn’t carry into society, as the dominant use in society prevails. I remember having the metre ruler in school (with inch markings), also the kg weight, but neither translated into measuring your height or weight in those. If you told someone you are 1.75 m and weigh 60 kg, 99% of society would need that converted to feet & inches and stone & lbs to grasp what height and weight that is.

Metres in terms of 100m, 200m, 400m or 10k run people get, thanks to the popularity of athletics (doesn’t translate to car journeys though...tell someone the next town is 10k away they’d need that in miles). Similarly if rugby was more mainstream then it’s highly likely people would grasp metric heights and weights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DC77 said:

Body measurements is one aspect, but ultimately imperial for distance is easier for us, because road signs are in miles and yards. For those that use metric that come here it’s bloody difficult.

What you are taught in school doesn’t carry into society, as the dominant use in society prevails. I remember having the metre ruler in school (with inch markings), also the kg weight, but neither translated into measuring your height or weight in those. If you told someone you are 1.75 m and weigh 60 kg, 99% of society would need that converted to feet & inches and stone & lbs to grasp what height and weight that is.

Metres in terms of 100m, 200m, 400m or 10k run people get, thanks to the popularity of athletics (doesn’t translate to car journeys though...tell someone the next town is 10k away they’d need that in miles). Similarly if rugby was more mainstream then it’s highly likely people would grasp metric heights and weights. 

Kids still work in feet/inches and stones!/pounds for body size and miles for distance.... Don't see it ever changing and I am glad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Kids still work in feet/inches and stones!/pounds for body size and miles for distance.... Don't see it ever changing and I am glad

Bedford did you get a chuckle out of that kids singing. Not bad, is that how you use to entertain them at the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in France and have realised my kids only do their times tables up to 10. When I were a lad in England we did it up to twelve, it dawned on me the other week that maybe this was because of imperial measurements, but then thought I was wrong as there's 14 pounds in a stone. Nice and simple as always 😁

Like learning metric at school then going into a trade and the first thing your boss says is cut 2 foot off that pipe! 

Edited by barnyia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Kids still work in feet/inches and stones!/pounds for body size and miles for distance.... Don't see it ever changing and I am glad

I’m not bothered either way, it would just be massive nuisance to readjust our way of thinking if we did have to change. When I was at primary school in the late 80s early 90s we had all the metric measurements like they do now, but it’s something you just learn as opposed to put into use. It would take an enormous cultural shift to stop people thinking of height in feet/inches and weight in stone/lbs, then there’s road signs with miles/yard having to be changed. 

Imagine Michael Buffer at Wembley stadium...”and weighing in at 75 Kilos, Anthony Joshua”. Cue blank faces in the crowd. 

 

The only measurement I (and I’d say most) can easily use interchangeably is metres and yards, although in football (which I still play) I’ve only ever used yards. “Beckham scores from 15 metres”..unheard of. All the key measurements are in yards (six yard box, penalty spot 12 yards, 10 yard wall for free kicks). Also play golf, which still uses the original Scottish rules, so no “putt from 10 metres”. Rugby is different though, which I’m guessing is due to trying to have uniformity with Aus/NZ/SA by using metres.

Edited by DC77
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloke went into a builders merchants and asked for some 2x4.

" 2x4?, what year are you in ? you in you mean 50x100"

"Ok some 50x 100 please"

"How much?"

"6ft please"

" Oh come on! This isn't 1968, you mean 2 metres"

"OK can I have 2 metres please, how much is it?"

"1 and 11 a foot"


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But an rl pitch is in metres, is it the aussies or the Americans who do weight in pounds and height in mètres or vice versa 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a weird one is all the rl coaches here in France say yardage for their own half of the field when trying to get out of their own half, (yardage set) "on fait pas de passe en yardage" 

Then again they say " good ball" for the other half of the field, so probably just English isms 

Edited by barnyia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, barnyia said:

But an rl pitch is in metres, is it the aussies or the Americans who do weight in pounds and height in mètres or vice versa 

Unless I'm mistaken Australia went entirely metric.  Unfortunately here in Canada we only went halfway so although temperatures are only given in Celsius now and highway signs all use kilometres most Canadians still use primitive measures for things like their height and weight. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't imperial measurements on the Brexit ticket. Bloody foreigners trying to make us use logical scales (shakes fist) and dont get me started on those Arabic numerals...

  • Haha 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, barnyia said:

I live in France and have realised my kids only do their times tables up to 10. When I were a lad in England we did it up to twelve, it dawned on me the other week that maybe this was because of imperial measurements, but then thought I was wrong as there's 14 pounds in a stone. Nice and simple as always 😁

Like learning metric at school then going into a trade and the first thing your boss says is cut 2 foot off that pipe! 

We did up to 16 times tables.

Covers ounces.

Surprised everybody didn't do that.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, barnyia said:

But an rl pitch is in metres, is it the aussies or the Americans who do weight in pounds and height in mètres or vice versa 

The change to metric was relatively recent.  The parameters were originally set in yards.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/09/2020 at 17:44, derk said:

do not forget who started the metric system.the french under  bonaparte. they wanted a ten day week as well.

There are seven days in a week because there are seven objects in the heavens which move against the star background.

Sun, Moon and the five planets visible to the naked eye.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Griff said:

We did up to 16 times tables.

Covers ounces.

Surprised everybody didn't do that.

Slide rules - much quicker.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Weren't imperial measurements on the Brexit ticket. Bloody foreigners trying to make us use logical scales (shakes fist) and dont get me started on those Arabic numerals...

Ah yes, the metric "martyrs", who claimed they weren't allowed to sell things in Imperial weights. Apart from the fact that they are allowed to do so if they have a set of scales that show both measurement systems. Something every single one of them were aware of, but felt it was too inconvenient a truth to get in the way of some proper SHOUTING.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ah yes, the metric "martyrs", who claimed they weren't allowed to sell things in Imperial weights. Apart from the fact that they are allowed to do so if they have a set of scales that show both measurement systems. Something every single one of them were aware of, but felt it was too inconvenient a truth to get in the way of some proper SHOUTING.

Its correct that the EU did not force people to use metric, but it was the jobsworths in local govt who needlessly implimented it to the nth degree.

The building industry went metric in 1970, before we joined the EEC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Its correct that the EU did not force people to use metric, but it was the jobsworths in local govt who needlessly implimented it to the nth degree.

The building industry went metric in 1970, before we joined the EEC.

If you worked in any technological discipline it would have been madness to insist upon retaining imperial measurements when  your international customers, suppliers, standards bodies, technical legislation etc was operating under a metric system. At a parochial level its fine but that is all.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All threads are imperial  here with metric translation, 3/4 inch thread is 20/27, 1/2 inch is 15/21. 3/8 inch is 12/17 

Inside and outside metric measurements. It's shown in imperial and metric on the shelf when you're buying fittings 

Edited by barnyia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...