Sheffield’s Stadium - any updates?

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just look at York.  From buggered to 2000 average and upset they arent in playoffs.  

Go after those commercial partners and Eagles can be another viable contender. A 400k playing budget at 65% turnover means 600 k is the target. 

You can’t directly compare the two, there are so many differences, however I do feel optimistic for the 🦅 who are my second favourite team. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good stuff. The Hawks and Forgers are making progress too from what I’ve read, great for RL in the city. 

Yep forgers are doing some free taster sessions for Kids IIRC and Hawks have age groups from U6-u16 i think

steady building and a new ground with a champ team in it next year and we can push on bit by bit and slowly grow. I think we could be a good championship CLUB in the next few years and build from there. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It isnt a comparison but an aspiration.  I get York only has a non league team to compete and Eagles have two footy teams, ice hockey.  But it is the summer sport so set an ambitious turnover target to hit and go after it. 

City of 500,000 people,  need less than 1%. 

1% of people going to watch a minority sport (in that area) is a lot, even in the halcyon days of the Eagles in the late 90s I don’t recall crowds being more than that. 

33 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It isnt a comparison but an aspiration.  I get York only has a non league team to compete and Eagles have two footy teams, ice hockey.  But it is the summer sport so set an ambitious turnover target to hit and go after it. 

City of 500,000 people,  need less than 1%. 

Not just the population of the city of Sheffield but beyond into other parts of South Yorkshire.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Not just the population of the city of Sheffield but beyond into other parts of South Yorkshire.

People aren’t going to travel from Barnsley or Chesterfield to watch a Sheffield RL team. Rotherham is possible as it’s that side of the city and easy to get to. Tbh the way Sheffield is its a massive ball ache to get to the ground from the Western suburbs too. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

People aren’t going to travel from Barnsley or Chesterfield to watch a Sheffield RL team. Rotherham is possible as it’s that side of the city and easy to get to. Tbh the way Sheffield is its a massive ball ache to get to the ground from the Western suburbs too. 

Maybe not in large numbers but I’m pretty confident that the Newcastle thunder has gained some new hardcore fans from all the different areas they targeted with their grassroots development work. Places like cramlington, Durham, Hartlepool and wallsend etc.

The same kind of grassroots development could be targeted by the Eagles.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Any idea when this stadium will finish? Seems to have gone on forever 

apparently ready for next season

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Any idea when this stadium will finish? Seems to have gone on forever 

Still not as long as tShay.   And about a third of the time the Wakefield saga.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Maybe not in large numbers but I’m pretty confident that the Newcastle thunder has gained some new hardcore fans from all the different areas they targeted with their grassroots development work. Places like cramlington, Durham, Hartlepool and wallsend etc.

New DO in place who will hopefully be able to work on that. 

16 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Newcastle are hugely better funded than Sheffield, I’m sure they already know about and would like to do these things, it’s not rocket science but takes time and money that most clubs don’t have. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Indeed. Would be interesting to find out which areas they intend to target. Be inside the city or beyond?

Would expect they will be working on that at the moment. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

New DO in place who will hopefully be able to work on that. 

Whilst there's only one Development Officer, Andrea Dobson, I would expect there to be other folk assisting with delivery.

It's what used to happen, anyway.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Whilst there's only one Development Officer, Andrea Dobson, I would expect there to be other folk assisting with delivery.

It's what used to happen, anyway.

yes you would hope there is and attached to the various different clubs in the area too

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Well if they are allowed to use the stadium in the mornings then primary schools would be who you contact first. You have a safe secure facility that you can work with primary schools to get the pe teacher onboard and also a Level 1 RL qualification. 

Far more likely that coaches will be sent to the schools.  The schools won't want to lose time transporting the kids around, there's the cost of the bus, not to mention any Covid legacy regs - and who knows how long they'll drag on.

7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Will Sheffield Eagles be the only tenant then? Last I heard the Sheffield United ladies team who were supposed to be the key tenant were no longer operational. Is that still the case? 

No longer operational ? 😳  Where did you hear that ?  No, they were playing at Chesterfield last I heard.   Though I'm not a big follower of women's soccer.   Or any kind of soccer for that matter.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

No longer operational ? 😳  Where did you hear that ?  No, they were playing at Chesterfield last I heard.   Though I'm not a big follower of women's soccer.   Or any kind of soccer for that matter.

Ok yep I remember now they no longer play in Sheffield but are still operational. Apologies. 

Is Chesterfield a long term relationship or are they just waiting for the stadium to be built and then they'll move back? 

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Ok yep I remember now they no longer play in Sheffield but are still operational. Apologies. 

Is Chesterfield a long term relationship or are they just waiting for the stadium to be built and then they'll move back? 

I believe they are waiting for the ground but not 100% sure.. the macabe fall out I don't think affected it but that's where my non 100% bit comes in

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

From september should be fine. If the pitch is free maybe Eagles can get a sponsor for the bus

Why don’t you volunteer at the Eagles, you seem to know what they should be doing and how to easily turn them into a big club?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Snide remark aside, I live in Spain. If you have an issue with someone giving an opinion on an opinion board,  you can use the mute function.

It’s not a snide remark, you genuinely seem to know what they should be doing, how to get investment and sponsorship in etc, and I’m sure they’d value your input. These days it can be done using video meetings so living in Spain isn’t a hindrance.