All things Radio

I agree. The gradual move to on-demand and content production to suit I appreciate: some really good stuff I can choose to listen to when I want. And yes, tastes change over the years and I feel that across broadcast radio, organisations such as the BBC are working hard to be seen as relevant to the younger listening demographic.  Result? I hardly recognise ANYONE in the Archers! 😀

(Though I appreciate Mark Steel's output, and Alexei Sayle's Imagenary Sandwich Bar)

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

duplicate

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The archive has a few more things but what isn't happening is any new creation. The age of the programmes on Extra is only going to get older, and they will be more and more familiar, because there is nothing to replace them.

Radio 4 is where most of future R4E content comes from. Yes, there are more misses than hits in the the 6:30pm comedy slot, but that's always been the way. 

11:30am Tuesday seems to have become another entertainment slot recently. Currently, it is home to the latest series of Natalie Haynes stands up for the Classics.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Radio 4 is where most of future R4E content comes from. Yes, there are more misses than hits in the the 6:30pm comedy slot, but that's always been the way. 

11:30am Tuesday seems to have become another entertainment slot recently. Currently, it is home to the latest series of Natalie Haynes stands up for the Classics.

Yup. Virtually all individual-led/stand-up style on themes that cannot be deviated from and none of them fitting the bill of sitcom or sketch of the kind that seem to be most popular on R4E.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yup. Virtually all individual-led/stand-up style on themes that cannot be deviated from and none of them fitting the bill of sitcom or sketch of the kind that seem to be most popular on R4E.

Please use other Door seems to be the newest sketch show, with their second series going out on October. Other include Wosson Cornwall, Gemma Arrowsmith's Sketched Out, Drop the Dead Panda, Earwig, VIP RIP or Sketchtopia.

Recent Radio 4 sitcoms - how about Fed or Dead, Influencers, Hennikay, Unite or Whatever Happened to Baby Jane Austen?

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Please use other Door seems to be the newest sketch show, with their second series going out on October. Other include Wosson Cornwall, Gemma Arrowsmith's Sketched Out, Drop the Dead Panda, Earwig, VIP RIP or Sketchtopia.

Recent Radio 4 sitcoms - how about Fed or Dead, Influencers, Hennikay, Unite or Whatever Happened to Baby Jane Austen?

As you say, desperately slim pickings compared to previous years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

"Natalie Haynes stands up for the Classics."

That is excellent. I have downloded all the previous ones as this is one series I need to listen to several times. Anyone know how to download them in perpetuity as it were?

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

"Natalie Haynes stands up for the Classics."

That is excellent. I have downloded all the previous ones as this is one series I need to listen to several times. Anyone know how to download them in perpetuity as it were?

DM sent.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Not really a show but when I worked shifts I used to find the shipping forecast very relaxing. 

Don't know why perhaps it was the routine or the voice. 

I really do like the infinite monkey cage.

Someone created a 5 hour edit of the shipping forecast. Popular with insomniacs, amongst others.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/12/2023 at 11:07, Midlands hobo said:

Not really a show but when I worked shifts I used to find the shipping forecast very relaxing. 

I think you have hit the nail on the head, MH.  Routine broadcasts can be very relaxing, simply because they are routine.  Exotic sounding names maybe help too, as does the quality of the speaker's voice.

For me, as a teenager who had discovered Gaelic football and hurling through a few BBC TV broadcasts, all these factors made the reading of each Sunday's inter-county and inter-club results by Sean Og O Ceallachain obligatory, but slightly hypnotic, listening for a quarter of an hour.  The, to me, rather exotic club names had an almost mesmeric quality - Glen Rovers, Thurles Sarsfields, The Rower-Inistioge, Castlewellan St Malachy's, and so on.

This link pays tribute to him:

I never knew for sure what the Irish introduction and ending - both to be heard on the link above and both repeated week in week out - actually meant, but I think the latter may have finished with the Irish for 'blessings to you'.

On 24/12/2023 at 11:07, Midlands hobo said:

Coincidentally, MH (given your recent reference to it), I have read in this morning's edition of The Times that New Year's Day will be the 100th anniversary of the first radio broadcast of the shipping forecast.

• Thanks 1

On 26/12/2023 at 14:10, EggFace said:

Since Kne Bruce and Claire Teal were shown the door at Radio 2 who have replaced them with 1990s Radio 1 disc jockeys I have went for Radio 3 for Classical, old music and Jazz and Radio 4 Extra for plays etc.

If you want something spooky check out this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k8q2f

JRR ON R3 on a Sunday afternoon...or rather, on catch up on BBC Sounds. Plus the WDR big band on YouTube. Why on earth did the BBC ditch the BBC big band? Plus Joan Chamorro Sant Andreu Jazz Band on YouTube. 

And absolutely ANYTHING is better than the odious and incoherent Rick Edwards on BBC Radio Five Live Breakfast. 😡😡😡😡

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

JRR ON R3 on a Sunday afternoon...or rather, on catch up on BBC Sounds. Plus the WDR big band on YouTube. Why on earth did the BBC ditch the BBC big band? Plus Joan Chamorro Sant Andreu Jazz Band on YouTube. 

And absolutely ANYTHING is better than the odious and incoherent Rick Edwards on BBC Radio Five Live Breakfast. 😡😡😡😡

Haven't done Radio 5 nevermind Radio 6 but like TV I just wish we had 4 TV/Radio stations alongside your local station.

i check out WDR 🙂

19 hours ago, JohnM said:

They have ditched a lot and will ditch more, as the cuts keep biting

However, the BBCBB is still very much in existence, despite going freelance and not being being managed by the corporation these days: https://bigbandspecial.co.uk  

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

Might be fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BBC Sounds. Podcasts. Melvyn Bragg. In Our Time. Each episode about 50 mins long. Each episode comes with a comprehensive reading list.

1021 episodes available. 

Just now, unapologetic pedant said:

They're given the complete works of Shakespeare. Could rework The Tempest.

Imagine the fist-fight between all the thesps who've been on DID about who gets to play Prospero?

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hardly a classic. Too wet and boggy for any silky skills, and many many muddy mistakes, introducing a large degree of randomness. Probably the only fixture this weekend where the players gained weight over the match. Bring out the Persil. Given all that, still worth watching. In my view, and can't argue with the result, so well done Fev and The Sportsman channel.

Edited by JohnM

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Hardly a classic. Too wet and boggy for any silky skills, and many many muddy mistakes, introducing a large degree of randomness. Probably the only fixture this weekend where the players gained weight over the match. Bring out the Persil. Given all that, still worth watching. In my view, and can't argue with the result, so well done Fev and The Sportsman channel.

This post deserves its own thread. Already have a title -

A Large Degree of Randomness

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Haha 2

Oh 'eck

A Large Degree of Randomness

©2024 JohnM 

All rights reserved. The right of JohnM to be identified as the author  ..etc etc. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1