All things Radio

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That sounds like a torrent of absolute self-martyring, self-aggrandising balls, to put it politely. Are you going to claim that you've been "cancelled" by the "woke blob" next?

He wouldn't be able to claim that, since if he'd been cancelled by the forums anti-woke possie, he'd just disappear.đŸ˜€đŸ˜€đŸ˜€đŸ˜€

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

He wouldn't be able to claim that, since if he'd been cancelled by the forums anti-woke possie, he'd just disappear.đŸ˜€đŸ˜€đŸ˜€đŸ˜€

He has been cautioned by a right-on thought constable.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 29/09/2022 at 22:32, Futtocks said:

A lost episode of Hancock's Half Hour has become unlost:

Just a reminder - 6:30pm today on Radio 4.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Right now on Radio 4, Neil Brand is doing a programme about the music for Hammer Horror films. Well worth 30 minutes of your time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001f6bj

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

England's Jodie Cunningham & Emily Rudge will be on Radio 4's Woman's Hour from 10am today. Not a programme that's given RL much thought before, but nice to get a little attention.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

England's Jodie Cunningham & Emily Rudge will be on Radio 4's Woman's Hour from 10am today. Not a programme that's given RL much thought before, but nice to get a little attention.

I have a feeling that the last time would be when there was a woman involved in a takeover at Bradford Bulls.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ken Bruce quits the sinking ship that is radio2 to take up a slot at greatest hits radio and he is taking popmaster with him and no doubt thousands upon thousands of listeners - another nail in the coffin for the arrogant BBC

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

another nail in the coffin for the arrogant BBC

Hope not. I quite like having free to air rugby league.

It'll be a shame when that goes. What with this being a rugby league board.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Ken Bruce quits the sinking ship that is radio2 to take up a slot at greatest hits radio and he is taking popmaster with him and no doubt thousands upon thousands of listeners - another nail in the coffin for the arrogant BBC

Thank God he is taking popmaster with him.  Every Saturday night when me and the missus have nothing on - and I don’t mean clothes …. Ooeeer missus - we open up a bottle of the old vino collapso and listen to the 5 popmasters of that week.

Only question for us is whether we can still listen to popmaster when he moves to the new station?

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thank God he is taking popmaster with him.  Every Saturday night when me and the missus have nothing on - and I don’t mean clothes …. Ooeeer missus - we open up a bottle of the old vino collapso and listen to the 5 popmasters of that week.

Only question for us is whether we can still listen to popmaster when he moves to the new station?

some wild sat nites round at yours by the sounds of it 

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

some wild sat nites round at yours by the sounds of it 

Hey Johnny if you think that’s a wild night this will blow your socks off!!!!!

At the right time of the year after listening to Popmaster we would put on that weeks episodes of HIGNFY and Mock the Week.  Pretty stirring stuff you must agree.

But now Mock the Week is no more it means we might well be forced to have rumpty tumpty on the bar to while away those 30 minutes đŸ˜„

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Hey Johnny if you think that’s a wild night this will blow your socks off!!!!!

At the right time of the year after listening to Popmaster we would put on that weeks episodes of HIGNFY and Mock the Week.  Pretty stirring stuff you must agree.

But now Mock the Week is no more it means we might well be forced to have rumpty tumpty on the bar to while away those 30 minutes đŸ˜„

What are you going to do for the other 28 and a half minutes ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

What are you going to do for the other 28 and a half minutes ? 

What are you babbling on about my dear chap.  At my age it takes me 28 and a half minutes to get on the bar.  Then add on 22 seconds to take my socks off.  Then add on another 28 seconds to get over the cramp in my toes by rubbing them vociferously.  Oh, and naturally there is the compulsory 20 seconds begging and promising I will take her out shopping the following day.  Then Geronimo!!!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Matthew "I've got an Ology" Syed has been presenting a series of short programmes called Woke: The Journey of a Word on Radio 4.

Some good historical context is examined, dating back to the Thirties, and it explains why it doesn't mean what the red-top editors and their furiously confused readers think it does, and how it has been weaponised by extremists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001jc1l 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I started listening to that but gave up after a while. His presentation style was akin to a primary scholl teacher lecturing a reception class. In any case, as has been posted elsewhere, the meaning and usage of words change. I'd say that's the case with "woke".

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I started listening to that but gave up after a while. His presentation style was akin to a primary scholl teacher lecturing a reception class. In any case, as has been posted elsewhere, the meaning and usage of words change. I'd say that's the case with "woke".

He's a bit of a self-important plodder, and two doses of him in a day (his regular show was on later this afternoon) is a bit much.

But the original meaning of the word is still very current, so the bewildered old gimmers trying to use it as an insult sound like the old guard of Radio 1 DJs desperately trying to sound young to Eighties kids. Or an embarrassing uncle greeting teenagers with "wazzzuuuupppppp!!!?"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ken Bruce to end his time early (this friday) on radio2 - more disgraceful behaviour from the BBC - after a meeting decided they would not let him see out his contract and gave him 5 days notice - how shabby but not surprising after their appalling treatment of broadcast legend Brian Mathew a few years ago - wont be long before the BBC have no proper DJs who actually know anything about music only TV personality overpaid annoying  rentagobs instead 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Ken Bruce to end his time early (this friday) on radio2 - more disgraceful behaviour from the BBC - after a meeting decided they would not let him see out his contract and gave him 5 days notice - how shabby but not surprising after their appalling treatment of broadcast legend Brian Mathew a few years ago - wont be long before the BBC have no proper DJs who actually know anything about music only TV personality overpaid annoying  rentagobs instead 

Ken Bruce, who I like a lot, is currently paid £400,000 a year and is moving jobs to be paid more.

Good luck to him. But that's an awful lot of money for talking between records for a few hours a day.

I'm surprised you're okay with the BBC having paid him that kind of money for decades for doing so little.

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ken Bruce, who I like a lot, is currently paid £400,000 a year and is moving jobs to be paid more.

Good luck to him. But that's an awful lot of money for talking between records for a few hours a day.

I'm surprised you're okay with the BBC having paid him that kind of money for decades for doing so little.

I think he is more likely to be changing jobs because he is disillusioned with radio2 as a station - its quickly become a "pap pop" station just like heart, pulse etc etc without any real DJs - as for the money - yes its too much but if its offered its going to get taken 

What are people on here’s opinion about James O Brien (LBC)? I do listen to him and my politics are broadly aligned with his, but I can’t help thinking he has had it very easy with material and discussion points with Brexit, and the car crash of various tory PMs. Take this away and what has he got.

I can’t help thinking that he is just a Waitrose Alan Beswick.

18 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

What are people on here’s opinion about James O Brien (LBC)? I do listen to him and my politics are broadly aligned with his, but I can’t help thinking he has had it very easy with material and discussion points with Brexit, and the car crash of various tory PMs. Take this away and what has he got.

I can’t help thinking that he is just a Waitrose Alan Beswick.

Plenty of people play the class card against him, and plenty say he just opines from a bubble.

But unlike some of the more shouty, showboating LBC presenters, he does give dissenting voices the airtime to express their views. Then he addresses their points with calmness and patience, which is what drives them really apoplectic.

Yes, current events give him a huge choice of easy targets, but that's not his doing; it's the decade-long implosion of standards in public life and the clowns, creeps, criminals and c**ts that have thrived from that era.

I only listen to him occasionally, but speaking truth to power is certainly one of the things he can do well.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I listened to Ken Bruce's last show and I felt a bit sad because he has been in that slot for as long as I can remember and is a fine broadcaster. But these things come to an end.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.