Jump to content

Wasted tackle


Recommended Posts

When a penalty is given , why do ALL teams use a forward to aimlessly wander in with little or no effect to start the tackle count , surely a planned move would be beneficial to spread the defence then a forward crashing onto the ball would have more impact. ?. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

When a penalty is given , why do ALL teams use a forward to aimlessly wander in with little or no effect to start the tackle count , surely a planned move would be beneficial to spread the defence then a forward crashing onto the ball would have more impact. ?. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Depends where you are on the pitch and mainly its about what structure you are playing and about how the opposition structure their defence. Spreading the ball does not really work that well when its a controlled restart against a set defence and if anything will put you on the back foot meaning you then have to waste another couple of tackles trying to get back on the front foot.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Depends where you are on the pitch and mainly its about what structure you are playing and about how the opposition structure their defence. Spreading the ball does not really work that well when its a controlled restart against a set defence and if anything will put you on the back foot meaning you then have to waste another couple of tackles trying to get back on the front foot.

Exactly , most teams still do this from inside the opposition 20 , a bit of variety would be good.πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the plays we see early in a new set do lack ambition. However, a player lobbing a 20m speculator on tackle 1 which leads to a lost possession is not going to win friends on the coaching staff or the terraces, so you can see why retaining possession is priority.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, Β£7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a Β£2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a related peeve I don’t get why when they get a penalty about 20 metres out from the line near the rich line they kick it off sideways or even backwards to then take the restart tap from practically the same spot they could have just taken a tap penalty from in the first place. Total waste of game time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Exactly , most teams still do this from inside the opposition 20 , a bit of variety would be good.πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

isn't that the time to tie in some defenders though and hence why most teams would do it before being more expansive or creative...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its to gain a numerical advantage and/or to get the defence on the backfoot.

There is no point spreading the ball wide if there is no overlap, this is how the game is now played and run arounds have disappeard from our game. I think if a team started to play run arounds it would cause real problems.. anyhow most teams start sets even on the opposition line with hitting it up the middle then look for FB to be out of position or which side is a numerical miss match

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I have got one though, why when players are held up over the line standing up do defenders simply hold them up rather than take them out the dead ball line? Easily one of the most badly coached aspects of the game.

I think they have now deemed deliberately taking a player "out the back", as foul play!

Bonkers. Fails to reward good defence.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

When a penalty is given , why do ALL teams use a forward to aimlessly wander in with little or no effect to start the tackle count , surely a planned move would be beneficial to spread the defence then a forward crashing onto the ball would have more impact. ?. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

It's about getting your PTB to the point on the pitch where your moves are planned from.

Typically, teams want to fall on or around a post, as that forces the defence to split unevenly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

talking of wasting tackles - why do players put a kick in on the 3rd 4th or 5th tackle? the kick usually comes to nothing and the other team end up back in possessionΒ 

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

talking of wasting tackles - why do players put a kick in on the 3rd 4th or 5th tackle? the kick usually comes to nothing and the other team end up back in possessionΒ 

If a kicker spots a player out of position or if they are getting smashed in their own 40 a relieving kick!Β 

Or if a shot at 40-20 or 20-40

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...