Why rugby league needs a star like other sports

DC77

33 minutes ago, Mark S said:

It doesn’t always have to be about playing ability. It’s about the all round package, looks, personality, confidence on screen and general like ability. 

I mentioned Wilkin earlier, he is very good on camera and could be a tv personality. He just needs to tone down his comparing everything with Union. 

But kids aren't inspired to play a sport because of commentators and pundits.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Mark S said:

It doesn’t always have to be about playing ability. It’s about the all round package, looks, personality, confidence on screen and general like ability. 

I mentioned Wilkin earlier, he is very good on camera and could be a tv personality. He just needs to tone down his comparing everything with Union. 

I would say he needs to tone down his childishness, more than anything.  Granted, he is quite confident and can speak well on TV, which are difficult things to do.

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

Pity Offiah isn’t more involved in the media as he has an aura about him. Also when you’ve done it on the field (as he has) you get more respect off it as people listen to you more having walked the walk. Roy Keane hammering someone (“lazy”, “no effort”, “no hunger/desire”) is acceptable as he put in 100% in every game. Even Alan Shearer as dull and boring as he is, he did it on the field so his view carries more weight than most. 

On 14/08/2021 at 10:20, EastLondonMike said:

Maybe I didn’t fully understand the original post. But thought it was about having players with an increased profile, who by proxy raise the profile of the sport.

My point about Hamilton is that his profile, which has gained him many fans, hasn’t always translated to an increase in F1 fans. Even though it was F1 that initially gave him that profile.

In The case of RL, I think the sport needs to have the profile before the players can enjoy that kind of increased attention.

The likes of Lomu, Wilkinson etc all benefited off the back of   an existing media interest in their sport. Regular exposure kept those interest levels up.

Yes, I agree.

It's a horse and cart scenario...

We would have media stars because the sport has the profile.  Stars alone will not create the sports profile and we won't have stars without the sports profile being higher.

imagine if we had someone like Nicho Hynes playing in sl - immense talent - rock star looks - surfer boy persona - or Reece Walsh - huge talent - elvis looks- confident style - am sure they would have female fan clubs bigger than David Cassidy - we dont have them though - we have poster boys Paul Mcshane  and Chris Hill though!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

37 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Can't think of any  current players showing anything like the "star quality" of this guy. Who is Martin Offiah? Celebrity Hunted star, rugby pro and former Strictly contestant (thesun.co.uk)   He's a nationally known figure, yet....

This series, its Ugo Monier and you can be sure his sport will make the most of the opportunity.

Ugo Monye? I just googled the name you put just to be sure.

Unless he’s famous for something else (think Dion Dublin presenting Homes under the Hammer) he certainly didn’t become widely known for playing RU. He was a run of the mill player.

In complete contrast to Offiah who was a bona fide star. There ain’t many who are also known by their moniker.

Phil Caplan has previously mentioned RL players needing to do more of this kind of stuff. I’m not too sure if it would really affect things much for the sport though as it’s the on field stuff that really drives interest, makes people play the game/buy jerseys etc. Rather than appearing on reality shows etc. doing punditry would be more effective to draw viewers, especially if they are allowed to let rip and say their piece.

13 hours ago, DC77 said:

Ugo Monye? I just googled the name you put just to be sure.

Unless he’s famous for something else (think Dion Dublin presenting Homes under the Hammer) he certainly didn’t become widely known for playing RU. He was a run of the mill player.

In complete contrast to Offiah who was a bona fide star. There ain’t many who are also known by their moniker.

Phil Caplan has previously mentioned RL players needing to do more of this kind of stuff. I’m not too sure if it would really affect things much for the sport though as it’s the on field stuff that really drives interest, makes people play the game/buy jerseys etc. Rather than appearing on reality shows etc. doing punditry would be more effective to draw viewers, especially if they are allowed to let rip and say their piece.

Team Captain on Question of Sport.  Clearly,  this long term prime channel exposure will not of its own encourage kids to flock to union as participants, spectators or viewers. Its all in the mix, of course. its unlikely though to have people flocking to Wheldon Road or Twist Lane. 

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Team Captain on Question of Sport.  Clearly,  this long term prime channel exposure will not of its own encourage kids to flock to union as participants, spectators or viewers. Its all in the mix, of course. its unlikely though to have people flocking to Wheldon Road or Twist Lane. 

Ah remember hearing about the new team captains (Sam Quek the other I think). God that’s a tired programme.

I think it can help exposure for a sport if the person is still directly involved in it (playing or presenting/punditry), but if they are no longer involved I’d say the impact would be minimal. Think that’s why Caplan was getting at wanting current RL players to appear on shows like this.

Archived