Squad for League 1

LittleboroRoughyed

Now that the Championship dream is over who would you like to keep for next season?

Brierley, Roberts, Heaton (if fit), Barran, Hewitt, Joy, Kirk (head injuries permitting), Nelmes (when running straight), Reilly (highly unlikely), Spencer, Gregory, Langtree, Bridge

We need a coach as well - stick with Sheridan having worked with McDermott & probably cheap?

Think we need to start again with the squad and let the majority go who've proven their not up to Championship standard. Dupree and Ince have already gone. Likes of Reilly, Nelmes and Kirk will find a new home in the Championship somewhere. 

Hopefully the likes of Langtree, Bridge, Joy, Wilkinson and Spencer will all stay and we build our team around them. It's time for the likes of Owen, Bent , D Abram, Charnock and Hewitt to be let go. Their good lads who try their hearts out but aren't up to this standard.

I'd try and keep all the young lads from this year who'll go great in League One such as Roberts, Holcroft, Hartley, Barran, J Abram, Gregory. Not seen Jinks or Rogers play but they're the sort of players I think we should be going for. Oldham lads from a good SL background looking to prove themselves.

In terms of the coach I think if we can keep up the improvements of the last 6 weeks or so for the rest of the season I'd stick with Sheridan .

I agree about the younger lads.

Jinks and Rogers are two different situations. Jinks is a very talented young lad who had been released by cas and found his spark by going back to Waterhead. 

Rogers is involved with 1st team squad at  Huddersfield and i doubt we could get him for any lengh of time.

There are other players with similar backgrounds to Jinks in Oldham though. These players need to be offered trials. 

I can’t argue with any of the above. Though it would be great to keep Reilly I’m certain he would want to stay at a higher level. D Abram has improved of late and his brother looks worth a shot. Liam Bent I have huge admiration for. Heart of a lion and surely the greatest stamina levels seem at the club for many a year; statistics don’t lie for forwards though and though his tackle count is legendary his average go forward is probably below 3metres per carry. Might he be worth a trial at centre? My concern is as this year-the knowledge and skill through the spine, halves, loose forward and full back. The last grizzly veteran who could organise others was Hawkworth (I think that was his name- came from and returned to Keighley in promotion season). Even at League one level the best teams will have to craftiest and best halves with speed of thought who can direct games, boss people, change plans on field etc. Long time since we’ve had that. I’d try to recruit those sort of players now, if indeed they exist at this level. 

Yeah Richie Hawkyard I think you mean? I would keep Barran as he's done okay and there's some potential there. We definitely need a leader preferably at half back that can just manage the game. 

I'd love to retain Reilly but can't see it tbh. Roberts will only get better and I think Dec Gregory and Jamie Abram have both done well.

2 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Remember way back, we had organisers, Fordy would make the play and organise the attack and fieldhouse would set the defence and organise the pack. Before that it was Ashton and flanagan. We've just not had that at all for years.

I think you need an old head in the halves. Crooky settled us in that way for a while I thought

Somebody mentioned Matty Wilkinson, he's been a massive miss for us this year, as well as Gregory & J Abram have done. Be great to have Matty back hopefully next year. I don't think there's a single player in the squad who couldn't do well in League 1, the jump to the Championship is vast. We do need 2 good experienced halves though obviously.

On 16/08/2021 at 14:15, herbie said:

I agree about the younger lads.

Jinks and Rogers are two different situations. Jinks is a very talented young lad who had been released by cas and found his spark by going back to Waterhead. 

Rogers is involved with 1st team squad at  Huddersfield and i doubt we could get him for any lengh of time.

There are other players with similar backgrounds to Jinks in Oldham though. These players need to be offered trials. 

Totally agree and so pleased these lads got a chance to step up 

Love to understand Oldhams scouting process of how Brad & Fenton were selected the best  players in Oldham ready to step up from NCL to championship rugby 

I am chuffed that Oldham lads got a break but let’s be honest oldhams scouting process is Oldham need a hooker quick call Castleford coach Ryan Sheridan our kid who knew a kid from Oldham called Bradley Jinks 

chuffed that Brad stepped up it should of happened years ago if he got different options 

Archived