The French Future

When I was a kid Hull FC played Carcassonne and Halifax played Albi for the best team in Europe. It was 1956 when the two Yorkshire sides played for the Championship title at Maine Road Manchester. Long before the Heineken Cup and Super League.

2022 would be good to have the Dragons and TO part of the European Super League.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

In yesterdays 'L'Independant' there was a piece on Carcassonne X111 update. They are re-forming their women's team and putting an expanded academie together. Presume the school of rugby joining the U17s -talk here of between 200-250 youngsters in total. Add on 30 in the Elite 1, 30 from VARL, 30 Juniors plus 20 females. Not standing still. Talking still about League 1 by 2023 with their budget rising from €700,000 presently to €1,5 M.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

5 hours ago, audois said:

When I was a kid Hull FC played Carcassonne and Halifax played Albi for the best team in Europe. It was 1956 when the two Yorkshire sides played for the Championship title at Maine Road Manchester. Long before the Heineken Cup and Super League.

2022 would be good to have the Dragons and TO part of the European Super League.

https://www.hullfc.com/blog/2020/04/22/on-this-day-hull-secure-european-club-championship/

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

I would settle for 2 in a competative european superleague

I wouldn't, unless their was a French domestic super league with a meaningful number of teams playing in it, at a standard akin to the top of championship/bottom of the Super League. 

11 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I think this could be the way for French RL. Catalans, Toulouse, Avignon and Carcassonne becoming strong clubs with good pathways below from various smaller teams feeding into them. Can only be positive for French RL 

It should be the way for UK RL too...

8 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

I wouldn't, unless their was a French domestic super league with a meaningful number of teams playing in it, at a standard akin to the top of championship/bottom of the Super League. 

That doesnt make any sense, so if Catalan win LLS than its pointless as theres no pro french league?

Toulouse have been made to do things the hard way for over 25 years, lets welcome them in (they will get in this year or the very near future) with open arms!

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

It should be the way for UK RL too...

I completely agree. I don't think any of the existing heartland clubs would take this approach but Newcastle, London, Coventry,  the Welsh clubs and any new clubs in the future should definitely do this. 

Build up the community game like Newcastle are doing then let these clubs feed into the professional club at the top

Archived