Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Does Gould taking the top job at the ECB spell doom for the Hundred (perhaps after the broadcast deals are up)?

Not necessarily as there are plenty of examples of people being against it who then tone down that opposition once they're on the payroll.

I suspect he might want to see the workings behind head boy Strauss's review though. That will be a meeting of mind. The 's' deliberately removed.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Not necessarily as there are plenty of examples of people being against it who then tone down that opposition once they're on the payroll.

I suspect he might want to see the workings behind head boy Strauss's review though. That will be a meeting of mind. The 's' deliberately removed.

I was hoping beyond hope I guess.

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Great result for Irish ☘️ cricket in the T20 World Cup.

They deserve it in my opinion for years of hard work.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/oct/26/t20-world-cup-cricket-england-v-ireland-live-updates

Well done, Ireland. The rain may have helped but setting that total game them a chance and England failed to bat well enough.

England have been all of the place recently in white ball. I wasn't expecting them to win the tournament, but as T20 is a lottery made worse by rain being around, it's still possible.

It's a great format for bringing on developing countries and it's clearly more popular than the other formats with the general public.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

14 hours ago, tim2 said:

Well done, Ireland. The rain may have helped but setting that total game them a chance and England failed to bat well enough.

England have been all of the place recently in white ball. I wasn't expecting them to win the tournament, but as T20 is a lottery made worse by rain being around, it's still possible.

It's a great format for bringing on developing countries and it's clearly more popular than the other formats with the general public.

You need for the result to matter and it will always matter in a World Cup. Great win for Ireland.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A good win against the New Zealanders keeps England in the tournament. Now they have to beat Sri Lanka to progress.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A good win against the New Zealanders keeps England in the tournament. Now they have to beat Sri Lanka to progress.

With a bit to spare, if they can. Don't want Aus overtaking our Net Run Rate.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

With a bit to spare, if they can. Don't want Aus overtaking our Net Run Rate.

The Aussies' NRR is pretty lousy, but nothing is certain in Cricket of any format.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 01/11/2022 at 13:04, Futtocks said:

The Aussies' NRR is pretty lousy, but nothing is certain in Cricket of any format.

Afghanistan ran them very close today. Takes NRR out of the equation for England tomorrow. Just need to win....

Just now, tim2 said:

Afghanistan ran them very close today. Takes NRR out of the equation for England tomorrow. Just need to win....

"Just". :kolobok_scare:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/11/2022 at 13:04, Adelaide Tiger said:

Certainly was.  But just booked two tickets for the semi final at Adelaide Oval for Thursday night.  Should be a cracker.

England haven't played well as a full unit yet. Hope they start now.

Meanwhile, South Africa find new and interesting ways of choking in major tournaments.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Meanwhile, South Africa find new and interesting ways of choking in major tournaments.

I woke up at some ungodly hour this morning and put on TMS just for background burble, when heard this news. It's hard to drift off while laughing...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, this is going well so far...

England need 19 runs in 37 balls

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Final will be live on Channel 4.

It's going to rain all day, isn't it? :kolobok_unsure:

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Some performance by Hales and Buttler; simply outstanding. 

I was always in favour of a Hales return, but only if Morgan was gone as it clearly was never going to work with those two. Also needed to be sure that Ben Stokes was happy with it.

The whte ball turnround from 2015 has been astonishing. It's almost matched by an equivalent deterioration in new red ball players.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson