Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

A day that was completely cricket.

There was excitement, there was skill, there was a lot of drama but, overall, a fair amount of embarrassing nonsense in set-up and how play has been handled.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A day that was completely cricket.

There was excitement, there was skill, there was a lot of drama but, overall, a fair amount of embarrassing nonsense in set-up and how play has been handled.

Where does this base reading on the light meter come from ? Is it the same all around the world ? Is it the same in June as September ? Is it made up ? Where’s common sense and trying to keep playing ? How do the authorities think it looks to the public ? Why are we playing 98 overs yet adding time on at the end , in September and not starting at 10.30 ? Why am I asking questions no one can answer ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Where does this base reading on the light meter come from ? Is it the same all around the world ? Is it the same in June as September ? Is it made up ? Where’s common sense and trying to keep playing ? How do the authorities think it looks to the public ? Why are we playing 98 overs yet adding time on at the end , in September and not starting at 10.30 ? Why am I asking questions no one can answer ? 

County Championship matches have started at 10.30 in September since forever. That's a basic one to sort out and yet it never has been.

The rest ... oh, who even knows.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think the umpires decide when it’s too dark they will then take a reading and that reading is what they go off for the rest of the test. 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I think the umpires decide when it’s too dark they will then take a reading and that reading is what they go off for the rest of the test. 

I think you are correct about this. The first time they rule on a lightmeter reading, they have to stick with that figure for all subsequent decisions in the rest of the match, regardless of other considerations. A little flexibility would be welcome and get more cricket played.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm developing a bit of a crush on the Indian women's team opener Smriti Mandhana. 
A lot of it's about her bloody fabulous and stylish batting. 
But not all.
HOT-2-.jpg

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm developing a bit of a crush on the Indian women's team opener Smriti Mandhana. 
But not all.
HOT-2-.jpg

Which match was this ? I’ll find the highlights

Crikey Yorkshire have been frustrating this year. 

Poor openers, leading to poor 1st innings, then claw it back only to struggle with the last few wickets needed. Repeat.

Watching the Disability T20 final on SKY. It's a really nice watch.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

58 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Crikey Yorkshire have been frustrating this year. 

Poor openers, leading to poor 1st innings, then claw it back only to struggle with the last few wickets needed. Repeat.

Watching the Disability T20 final on SKY. It's a really nice watch.

Our final day performances, in particular, have been woeful.

On 16/09/2022 at 16:26, Moose said:

Yorkshire Post continues to be an absolute embarrassment in how it covers what's gone on at Yorkshire CCC.

There's a thread in politics you can resurrect to discuss it further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And, almost forget, Northern Diamonds beat Southern Vipers meaning 'we' go through to the final next weekend whereas the Vipers have a semi final against South East Stars at Beckenham on Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Winning finals doesn’t seem to be our thing 

Touch of the Somersets about Lancashire this year.

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

Winning finals doesn’t seem to be our thing 

There seems to be a problem for Lancashire in tight run chases. As well as the two finals, they made a mess of the chase at Derbyshire in the Blast, where Rob Jones put in a similar performance to Saturday. It's like they don't know how to approach the innings once it gets to a certain point.

They also looked like an ageing team in the field, with 4 of the top 6 over 30 and 3 of the seamers not especially agile. I don't think Lancs can be going into next year's white ball comps with all 4 of Jennings, Wells, Croft and Vilas. And Jones and Bohannon should be nowhere near the white ball teams.

I hope that Bell, Balderson and Lavelle get a fair go next season.

On 13/09/2022 at 20:45, Futtocks said:

But not all.
HOT-2-.jpg

I'm old now so I'm thinking "she should at least be wearing gloves and a helmet"

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Pakistan v England T20 No.1 due to start in a few minutes - the first time Pakistan have hosted us since 2005.

England won the toss and chose to bowl first.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Pakistan v England T20 No.1 due to start in a few minutes - the first time Pakistan have hosted us since 2005.

England won the toss and chose to bowl first.

David Gower on comms

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Essex v Lancashire, Day 1 - 26 wickets! 😮

I watched most of it on the livestream. Dreadful pitch. Lancashire were 7-6 in the third innings of the day, but Essex were told to bring the spinners on for the last few overs as the light was fading, and Lancashire managed to pick up nearly 20 runs during that time. Impressive batting by Sir Alastair Cook, who got 40, and a great debut for Bell the Lancashire wicket-keeper, who scored 16. If the batsmen had no idea where the ball was going, it can't have been easy to keep wicket.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Essex v Lancashire, Day 1 - 26 wickets! 😮

I've already done my joke about Somerset needing to be docked points as a result but some comments stay evergreen.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I watched most of it on the livestream. Dreadful pitch. Lancashire were 7-6 in the third innings of the day, but Essex were told to bring the spinners on for the last few overs as the light was fading, and Lancashire managed to pick up nearly 20 runs during that time. Impressive batting by Sir Alastair Cook, who got 40, and a great debut for Bell the Lancashire wicket-keeper, who scored 16. If the batsmen had no idea where the ball was going, it can't have been easy to keep wicket.

How many times did you blink and, as a result of that, how many batters' innings did you miss?

Ralph Waldo Emerson