Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

To be fair to England, they were pretty decent with the ball in their last match. It was when they batted that the humiliation began.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

India vs South Africa this morning playing really for first place in the group stage.

These are the best two teams I’ve seen so far in the tournament so I’m looking forward to unwinding to this one.

As for the rest it seems like Australia and New Zealand will also qualify for the semi finals barring a miracle by either Pakistan or Afghanistan in their remaining fixtures with some help from others.

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

India vs South Africa this morning playing really for first place in the group stage.

These are the best two teams I’ve seen so far in the tournament so I’m looking forward to unwinding to this one.

As for the rest it seems like Australia and New Zealand will also qualify for the semi finals barring a miracle by either Pakistan or Afghanistan in their remaining fixtures with some help from others.

Very considerate of them to get it over and done in time for the Wheelchair test match kick-off.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/11/2023 at 16:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

England slumping with the bat again.

The strength of England's batting was always based on the consistency of Bairstow and Roy at the start of an innings. Regularly scoring both quickly and heavily. Meant the rest of the team had to play a 30-35 over innings the majority of the time. Once a wicket or two falls in the first powerplay, they become very vulnerable.

Also, they brought Stokes in because of how good he is at the end of a chase, but have him batting at 4. Both him and Buttler are a place too high. Could easily replace Livingstone or Ali for Brook and have Root as 6th bowler.

• Like 1

Shenanigans in today's match, as Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews became the first batter ever to be timed out in an international. It appears the umpire was urged on to the decision by the Bangladeshi captain.

Let's just say that friendly handshakes were in short supply after the match finished.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Far be it from me to be pro-Australian, but Maxwell's innings has been heroic today.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

From an abject starting point of 91 for 7, a cramp-riddled Maxwell hits the six that both brings up his double century and wins the match.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Barney Ronay hits the nail on the head

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/06/jos-buttler-itinerary-what-is-wrong-with-england-and-cricket

England stand to lose massively in funding by not qualifying for the Champions Trophy and the "Dutch" with about 3 born in the Country are confident.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

... and the "Dutch" with about 3 born in the Country are confident.

England won the World Cup when a Barbadian was handed the ball by an Irishman and a South African threw the resulting hit ball back in for, at last, an Englishman to complete the run out.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

335 for 9 in the end, thanks to a good Stokes innings.

Now we have to defend it.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Big one tomorrow between the two biggest dissapointments of the World cup

Pakistan will effectively be eliminated before a ball is bowled tomorrow, since boosting their NRR will be near impossible if they are asked to bowl first by England. Even if they bowled England out for 100, they would then have to hit 17 consecutive sixes - that is, complete the chase in 2.5 overs - in order to move above New Zealand's NRR

It is the second consecutive World Cup in which Pakistan will head into their final group game requiring an implausible winning margin to overtake New Zealand on net run rate (NRR). In 2019, they needed to beat Bangladesh by around 316 runs at Lord's to sneak through; this time, the required margin of 287 is only a fraction smaller.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-babar-azam-believes-pakistan-can-set-up-semi-final-1408169

While a big ask for Pakistan, can England avoid damaging their Net Run rate. Depending upon the toss you will have  a game within a game when, with Bangladesh v Australia finishing beforehand, by the time of the Second Innings you will know not only what England need to do to win but what they need to do Net Run rate wise.

A bit like Sydney v Australia A back in 1994/95 when England failed not only to win but to get close enough to prevent an Australia v Australia A final and I had to sit through it 😳

Some other snippets - Got to love the ICC style in suspending Sri Lanka after their last game in the tournament.... Do not fear Sri Lanka will be here .. Next August - September.

Rob Andrew (yes him) getting appointed to the ECB is asking him to reprise his role at th RFU acting as a bridge between the board and the Counties who these days splits into the haves and have nots. with the game badly fractured due to the 💯

Team of the tournament not India but Afghanistan. The afghani;s have artled a few cages this tournament and I look forward to them getting an invite from the ECB. They would be better opposition that Zimbabwe who they have coming for a four day test in 2025.

Finally, if you don't like what I write there is a ignore button you can use #justsaying...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

Are the Kiwis about to be dudded by the BCCI ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-12749525/Cricket-World-Cup-STORM-India-accused-stitch-pitch-semi-final-against-New-Zealand-Mumbai.html

They have form for this, as evidenced by thje recent England and Australia Test series in India.

Come on Mitchell Santner and Glen Phillips.

George Orwell

India through, despite a brave showing with the bat by the Kiwis.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

South Africa 44 for 4 after 14 overs. Australia being ruthlessly effective, even by Australian standards.

Light rain is holding things up at the moment, but it isn't looking like it will last.

Ralph Waldo Emerson