Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Tail mopped up and India all out leaving a target of 398 to chase.

India crumbled to 255 all out after tea.

Probably too little too late for England as Bazball chases a place in history now in terms of 4th innings.

The fact that nobody thinks 399 in the fourth innings in India is impossible shows you how much the dial has moved in the past couple of years.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 04/02/2024 at 12:14, gingerjon said:

The fact that nobody thinks 399 in the fourth innings in India is impossible shows you how much the dial has moved in the past couple of years.

India started to look a bit rattled at one point, so clearly they thought England might do it.

The series has caught the imagination of cricket fans in India too, which is really important. Test cricket has faded in popularity there and they are the biggest and richest market, so it's important in keeping test cricket alive to play exciting cricket. Hearing a lot of positive comments from Indians about the atmosphere generated by the English fans in Hyderabad and Vizag and how the locals have responded.

I'm expecting India to win all of the remaining tests but should be a great occasion at the world's most beautiful test venue at Dharamsala.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonM said:

India started to look a bit rattled at one point, so clearly they thought England might do it.

The series has caught the imagination of cricket fans in India too, which is really important. Test cricket has faded in popularity there and they are the biggest and richest market, so it's important in keeping test cricket alive to play exciting cricket. Hearing a lot of positive comments from Indians about the atmosphere generated by the English fans in Hyderabad and Vizag and how the locals have responded.

I'm expecting India to win all of the remaining tests but should be a great occasion at the world's most beautiful test venue at Dharamsala.

There's certainly a sense of excitement to the sound of the crowd on radio commentary. The tour's been an unexpected treat so far, so let's hope it remains competitive.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

India finished their first innings on 445.
England currently at 157 for 1, with a century for Ben Duckett.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

176 runs scored in a session, and England finish the day on 200 for 2.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I managed to keep half an eye on TNT’s coverage while working this morning.

Thought Duckett played well and aggressively too.

The test series has been a good one and this match is nicely poised.

Bumrah when interviewed felt sure the pitch would get much harder to play on in the last day or so.

Does feel like for England the situation presents a possible opportunity now.

That was a pitiful second innings.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sorry to learn of the death of Mike Proctor.  Apartheid robbed him of many more test opportunities that he deserved.

He made a fairly ordinary Gloucestershire side good enough to challenge for at least limited-overs honours.

As I recall he had an odd bowling action.  I think his bowling arm and non-bowling one were both at the top of their trajectory at the same time.  Does anybody recall him, and whether my description of his bowling action is correct?

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Sorry to learn of the death of Mike Proctor.  Apartheid robbed him of many more test opportunities that he deserved.

He made a fairly ordinary Gloucestershire side good enough to challenge for at least limited-overs honours.

As I recall he had an odd bowling action.  I think his bowling arm and non-bowling one were both at the top of their trajectory at the same time.  Does anybody recall him, and whether my description of his bowling action is correct?

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Thanks, Futtocks.

So I was right in that there was something odd about his bowling style, but wrong in quite what it was!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks, Futtocks.

So I was right in that there was something odd about his bowling style, but wrong in quite what it was!

It was certainly different enough to catch the attention.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are in the 5th week of our winter nets on a Sunday afternoon. 

A young man of Afghan heritage heard about our club and brought his son to join in with the under 11s, which is the first year of hard ball cricket. 

The Dad, known as Q, never said anything about himself until I quizzed him. Turns out he plays semi-pro in the Bradford Premier League. He recently hit a half century off 9 balls, as I discovered when I googled his name later. 

He loved it so much that he's getting his DBS (cover to coach kids) and has thrown himself into our humble club. 

We've also got a couple of Afghan refugees referred to us by Leeds City Council. They have no family and don't even know how old they are. Their back story is not something you want to read about. 

Anyway, my new mate Q speaks their language, Pashto, and has taken them under his wing. They are all so full of joy when playing cricket and have found something that makes them, and me, deeply happy. 

I've said this before - cricket is the great unifying sport that transcends all colours and cultures, even more than football. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

A young man of Afghan heritage heard about our club and brought his son to join in with the under 11s, which is the first year of hard ball cricket. 

The Dad, known as Q, never said anything about himself until I quizzed him. Turns out he plays semi-pro in the Bradford Premier League. He recently hit a half century off 9 balls, as I discovered when I googled his name later. 

He loved it so much that he's getting his DBS (cover to coach kids) and has thrown himself into our humble club. 

We've also got a couple of Afghan refugees referred to us by Leeds City Council. They have no family and don't even know how old they are. Their back story is not something you want to read about. 

Anyway, my new mate Q speaks their language, Pashto, and has taken them under his wing. They are all so full of joy when playing cricket and have found something that makes them, and me, deeply happy. 

I've said this before - cricket is the great unifying sport that transcends all colours and cultures, even more than football. 

That's great to read. With a bit more political stability over the least few decades, Afghanistan would be much more developed Cricketing nation.

What they have achieved in the actual circumstances is astonishing.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

Many thanks for sharing that with us, LW - an inspirational anecdote.

• Like 3

England 353 all out.

India 219 for 7 at the end of day 2.

Not bad.

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forensic analysis of the 💯 Read and make your own mind up.

https://beingoutsidecricket.com/2024/02/20/is-the-hundred-a-success/

Despite being a Cricket tragic, I am not watching the India series as on principle I do not pay TWO pay TV subscriptions.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

For those who are interested, the book Test Match Special: Tall Tales is currently available as a Kindle download for 99p.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

For those who are interested, the book Test Match Special: Tall Tales is currently available as a Kindle download for 99p.

Back to full price today.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Good idea to start the county season on April 5 . Lancs and Surrey among the wipeouts but Kash Ali scored the first century for Worcs . Bizarrely It’s been reported Jimmy is unlikely to play for Lancs until June 

Edited by DavidM