Sun 6th Mar: SL: Castleford Tigers v Hull FC KO 15:30

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/22 at 16:00

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

If Connor is that much of a "mega star" why does he rarely even get a sniff at a test squad place. I also keep reading that he was amazing when he did play for England against the Kiwi's, funny how he never got picked again after that series.

I'm sorry I just don't see what it is you Hull fans see in Connor, and that's a view shared by successive England coaches as well.

By rarely getting a sniff in a test squad place, you mean one game?

By successive coaches, you mean one coach?

Basically, one coach hasn't taken a liking to him, and you've concluded that this means he's miles off the pace.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

By rarely getting a sniff in a test squad place, you mean one game?

By successive coaches, you mean one coach?

Basically, one coach hasn't taken a liking to him, and you've concluded that this means he's miles off the pace.

Or conversly only 1 coach has ever picked him (Bennett), and lets face his his tenure was pretty poor

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

well for me one of the names I look for with Hull FC is Connor.  It is the first name I look for when playing my team...

Yep I wonder what game he will bring... his top or average game. No doubt I worry for my team if he brings his top game.

In fact the only other player I've ever looked for on opposition team sheet is Sam Tomkins before he went to Australia... although he nearly always brought his top game or even his average was better than almost all.

With Saints I don't bother looking at team sheet as they are nearly all top performers or at least play at a consistent high level as a team.

26 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well for me one of the names I look for with Hull FC is Connor.  It is the first name I look for when playing my team...

Yep I wonder what game he will bring... his top or average game. No doubt I worry for my team if he brings his top game.

In fact the only other player I've ever looked for on opposition team sheet is Sam Tomkins before he went to Australia... although he nearly always brought his top game or even his average was better than almost all.

With Saints I don't bother looking at team sheet as they are nearly all top performers or at least play at a consistent high level as a team.

Can't say i've ever done that with Connor when playing against Hull, for me their biggest threat comes from their forward pack laying a good platform. If the likes of Sao, Satae & Watts are on form then generally so is the team as a whole.

Agree about Tomkins, even now at the latter stages of his career he's still the main danger man for Catalans. Similarly when we play Wire for me the main threat comes up the middle from Clarke on the back of an offload or a quick PTB.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

25 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Can't say i've ever done that with Connor when playing against Hull, for me their biggest threat comes from their forward pack laying a good platform. If the likes of Sao, Satae & Watts are on form then generally so is the team as a whole.

Agree about Tomkins, even now at the latter stages of his career he's still the main danger man for Catalans. Similarly when we play Wire for me the main threat comes up the middle from Clarke on the back of an offload or a quick PTB.

I agree but for me whilst they often at least hold their own in the forward pack and may be the better pack they don't always translate that in taking the opportunities offered from that dominance.  Connor for me makes that difference when on his top form.

On Clarke I just think recently he isn't offering that threat... I'm assuming he is coming back from injury. I don't know.   I do think that Warrington with Widdop and Williams do tend to make the most of the opportunities if they get into the last 20 but as discussed elsewhere their pack doesn't give them many.

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

You really are right on the ball aren't you?

Liam Watts last pulled on a Hull FC jersey 4 years ago.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, redjonn said:

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Can't say i've ever done that with Connor when playing against Hull

Well, it seems that redjonn has a SL coach that agrees with him...

Leeds Rhinos will take on Hull FC tomorrow night at Headingley with head coach Richard Agar expecting a tough game.

One of those names for the Black and Whites to look out for is Jake Connor, who endured a difficult 80 minutes against Castleford Tigers last weekend.

However, Agar is keen to ensure his players watch out for the fullback who has so many skills in his locker.

“The standout name when you look at Hull is Jake,” Agar said.

“He can play long and he can play short and has a good kicking game, and it goes without saying he’s a focal point of their attack.

“Some of the trickery and execution on his plays has been first-class.

“Sometimes you know what’s coming, but he deceives really well and his ability to find a man is exceptional.”

Despite Connor’s prowess at fullback, he may well be moved into the halves to accommodate the absence of both Luke Gale and Josh Reynolds.

And, Agar has made sure that his players are ready for that if needs be.

“We’ve tried to work on a couple of permutations should they move him in the halves,” Agar added.

“We’ve covered off both options and prepared for both.”

Tomorrow’s game will be broadcast live on Sky Sports as Leeds attempt to win their second game of the season and Hull their third.

But then, Saint Toppy knows best...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So, Connor ain't that good is he?

No. Tonight proved it. He was absolutely honking last week and turns up this week. That’s his problem. Consistency. Or to be more accurate, the lack of. He performs how he did tonight more than once every five games, as he does now, he might work his way into Wane’s England plans. He continues one week getting made to look daft by a side by Lee Radford and then following it up the week after with a decent performance, he best hope his Nan once went on holiday to Ireland as a kid because that’s the only way he’ll get a game at the World Cup. 

On 10/03/2022 at 20:36, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So, Connor ain't that good is he?

Some of the comments on this thread raised a few chuckles among the readers of this forum assembled on the Western Terrace on Thursday.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived