Swinton

glemiln

Trust the Hornets’ faithful will be in good numbers to encourage our ‘lads’ to victory (4.30 pm kick-off  Sunday).  The lack of recent game time should, hopefully, be balanced by rested, ready to go bodies.  Swinton’s victory at Oldham will give them a boost in the hope of keeping 3rd place!   Our victory would galvanise efforts for the tough away programme and hopefully a return to the Crown in the top 3 by 24 July. Any news on the new players brought in for 2 weeks?  Should be a cracking game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

Trust the Hornets’ faithful will be in good numbers to encourage our ‘lads’ to victory (4.30 pm kick-off  Sunday).  The lack of recent game time should, hopefully, be balanced by rested, ready to go bodies.  Swinton’s victory at Oldham will give them a boost in the hope of keeping 3rd place!   Our victory would galvanise efforts for the tough away programme and hopefully a return to the Crown in the top 3 by 24 July. Any news on the new players brought in for 2 weeks?  Should be a cracking game.

I’ll be there.

• Like 1

London Sk battered Oldham then Oldham push Swinton all the way . It looks like a straight forward win for Hornets but it never works out like that. I’m expecting a tough close game and if we keep our discipline Hornets should get the two points.

• Like 1

Seems that we shall have another speedster in contention for Sunday's game.  29yr old Keiran Dixon from Leigh on a two week loan.  Seems like a trend is establishing!   Hope he can replicate Jy Hitchcock's 3 tries v Doncaster.   Look forward to seeing the match line-up. 

https://twitter.com/kieran_22?lang=en

Edited by glemiln
  • Like 1

Good to see young Nixon back in the squad and hope he gets some game time. Certainly we shall have to be at our best from the off, especially after the long break.  Look forward to seeing the game, albeit on the computer screen!  

image.jpeg.005bc27911337f10955fd3697d3db24b.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glemiln said:

Good to see young Nixon back in the squad and hope he gets some game time. Certainly we shall have to be at our best from the off, especially after the long break.  Look forward to seeing the game, albeit on the computer screen!  

image.jpeg.005bc27911337f10955fd3697d3db24b.jpeg

Anyone know what has happened to Callum Marriott, missing again, strange that there is no update from the club?

48 minutes ago, Athleticgrounds said:

Clearly that's "No"    so lets all guess😊 I'll  go for " fallen out with Coach"    any other ideas?

Don't think anyone's (apart from me 🤣)  is interested in your comment. In case you hadn't noticed there is a big game on today !

Poor display today. We didn’t respect possession when we had it. Too many mistakes with ball in hand. Too many missed tackles. Discipline poor again. Matt will be complaining about it again but nothing changes. How many times did they get a six again for our infringements ? I thought the McNally sin binning was harsh though. I also thought the ref got a crucial decision wrong when we were pressing on their line and the game was still in the balance midway through the second half. They knocked on but got the scrum, went down the field , scored under the posts and it was more or less game over.

A bad day at the office all round.

What happened with Zac Baker ? He was down to play and obviously didn’t make it.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Poor display today...

Absolutely, particularly the unforced error count, discipline and structure.  Lack of game time?  One consolation(?), Crusaders losing to Hunslet, but perhaps not, as we  go there in two weeks. Matt (not a happy man) - seemed to indicate Baker broke down pre-match.  

1 minute ago, glemiln said:

Absolutely, particularly the unforced error count, discipline and structure.  Lack of game time?  One consolation(?), Crusaders losing to Hunslet, but perhaps not, as we  go there in two weeks. Matt (not a happy man) - seemed to indicate Baker broke down pre-match.  

Every time we have a weekend or two off we play like we’ve just met on the car park before the game !

3 hours ago, Joe 90 said:

Don't think anyone's (apart from me 🤣)  is interested in your comment. In case you hadn't noticed there is a big game on today !

Yes there was and we missed Marriott, Ashton and Nixon who have all mysteriously disappeared from the team, our short term loan signings really making a difference?

28 minutes ago, Athleticgrounds said:

Yes there was and we missed Marriott, Ashton and Nixon who have all mysteriously disappeared from the team, our short term loan signings really making a difference?

We’ve been signing backs all the time, we could do with a couple of forwards going off todays showing.

Watched the game on YouTube so had the benefit of replays. Our consistency let us down today i thought, scoring a try and then knocking the ball on in the first tackle after restart, stupidly timed offloads and walking Swinton up the pitch with set restart after set restart just made it easy for them to get into scoring positions. Some of our old players came back to haunt us with Richard Lepori having a great game. I thought Lewis Sheridan had a good game dealt with the high ball well and ran hard. But on a couple  of occasions ran up and down the line without passing to anyone, it looked like no one wanted the ball. Rob Worrincy scored some nice tries and made good yards as he has done previously.

The yellow card was a 50/50 i can see why the ref give it we had been conceding a lot of penalties and he didn't make an effort to look like he was rolling away, on the other hand he did have someone on top of him for much of that time. What was interesting is that there was that same incident in the second half (idk which hornet player it was) and he didn't get a card.  We also had a try disallowed which on the replays looked fine.  

21 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Watched the game on YouTube so had the benefit of replays. Our consistency let us down today i thought, scoring a try and then knocking the ball on in the first tackle after restart, stupidly timed offloads and walking Swinton up the pitch with set restart after set restart just made it easy for them to get into scoring positions. Some of our old players came back to haunt us with Richard Lepori having a great game. I thought Lewis Sheridan had a good game dealt with the high ball well and ran hard. But on a couple  of occasions ran up and down the line without passing to anyone, it looked like no one wanted the ball. Rob Worrincy scored some nice tries and made good yards as he has done previously.

The yellow card was a 50/50 i can see why the ref give it we had been conceding a lot of penalties and he didn't make an effort to look like he was rolling away, on the other hand he did have someone on top of him for much of that time. What was interesting is that there was that same incident in the second half (idk which hornet player it was) and he didn't get a card.  We also had a try disallowed which on the replays looked fine.  

I couldn’t fault that “ try” either. Same when he brought us back for a forward pass when we’d got a two on one with their winger. Looked a line ball to me but I think the Swinton fans gave that one. 
No real complaints, the best team on the day won but these close calls can make a big difference.

Sheridan was my M O M, just a shame two of the tries were out by the right hand corner flag. Not where you want them if you’re a right footed kicker.

1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

our short term loan signings really making a difference?

Personally, I cannot see how they can over just 2 games -as good as they may be - they may provide a headline but we must have regular team continuity, especially in this top 6 cauldron.  Allowances for injuries are surely better served from within a tight squad on the same regular wavelength, fighting for their place with Hornets 2022? 

Sadly, and understandably, Nixon looked somewhat out of place in the middle doing nowt!   

11 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Personally, I cannot see how they can over just 2 games -as good as they may be - they may provide a headline but we must have regular team continuity, especially in this top 6 cauldron.  Allowances for injuries are surely better served from within a tight squad on the same regular wavelength, fighting for their place with Hornets 2022? 

Sadly, and understandably, Nixon looked somewhat out of place in the middle doing nowt!   

I wouldn’t say he did nowt. He had a couple of good carries when he got a pass. It’s hard for the backs to impress if the forwards aren’t taking the team forward.

Unfortunately it seems to be the same misgivings we run the ref up the wrong way and he punishes us for the rest of the game plus our defence is poor , we concede four tries a game which is not good enough. Very dissapointing.

Really frustrated today, it’s getting a bit like Groundhog Day, sloppy one on one tacking, on our goaline, poor discipline (the ref did make some strange calls, but for both sides), some back chatting and the ever present dumb plays/penalties. Swinton better than us in most aspects IMO

I thought one of our best performers were Worrincy who ended up doing a lot the hard carries, more than some of our forwards in the second half. Not a lot seems to be coming through our centres either, Lewis and Ranghi keep plugging away (unbelievable hands for our try) but that apart not many line breaks.

10 games in the play-offs are the best we can hope for, we need to be winning away games against the top 4-5 also if we seriously want to challenge, feels a bit like same old story over the last couple of seasons.

Frustrated.

On a secondary topic does anybody find the ‘injury’ news that comes out of the club lacking? I’m never sure who is injured, not selected or even suspended?

Edited by ormskirknet
  • Like 1

Anybody help me out clarifying the line up today.

BBC has Baker starting with Taira on the bench

Hornets website has Taira starting with Fowden on the bench.  I dont trust the BBC (!) so expect Hornets website is accurate. Can anyone confirm?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Anybody help me out clarifying the line up today.

BBC has Baker starting with Taira on the bench

Hornets website has Taira starting with Fowden on the bench.  I dont trust the BBC (!) so expect Hornets website is accurate. Can anyone confirm?

Tiara replaced Baker in the official line up  very late on. Possibly an injury to Baker in the warm up?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ormskirknet said:

Really frustrated today, it’s getting a bit like Groundhog Day, sloppy one on one tacking, on our goaline, poor discipline (the ref did make some strange calls, but for both sides), some back chatting and the ever present dumb plays/penalties. Swinton better than us in most aspects IMO

I thought one of our best performers were Worrincy who ended up doing a lot the hard carries, more than some of our forwards in the second half. Not a lot seems to be coming through our centres either, Lewis and Ranghi keep plugging away (unbelievable hands for our try) but that apart not many line breaks.

10 games in the play-offs are the best we can hope for, we need to be winning away games against the top 4-5 also if we seriously want to challenge, feels a bit like same old story over the last couple of seasons.

Frustrated.

On a secondary topic does anybody find the ‘injury’ news that comes out of the club lacking? I’m never sure who is injured, not selected or even suspended?

Information about absent players?....I've finally given up asking but surely they have to let Marriott out of that cupboard, he's been locked up there for about 4 weeks at least😊😊

Edited by Athleticgrounds