Waterhead social media

30 minutes ago, M j M said:

Two posts above is what happens when someone thinks "woke" is an insult.

Have to say, if someone wants to call me woke for thinking that blacking up is wrong then go for your life... you can call me a lot worse and i'll still say the same.. because it is wrong.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, RP London said:

Yes parts of white people should be played by white people (and if historically they were white they should be played by a white person IMHO) and black parts should be played by black people etc... that is very true...

I think this point is slightly more complex than it appears though. This is art we are talking about. Not all movies are looking to be accurate depictions of history - but many have little interest in accurately portraying the look of historical figures (and many do), but there are different ways to do it. 

I have no idea what hair colour or body type Ann Boleyn had, but I expect any incorrect casting on that front would be ignored. Because ultimately that isn't really that important. Similarly, if her skin is black it doesn't necessarily affect the story being portrayed and is fair game with artistic licence. Where the focus is historical accuracy there may be more of a challenge, but that isn't the point for many movies and shows. 

But as for the rest of your post, it's spot on, we are not talking inaccurate casting, we are talking prejudice, discrimination etc. not casting that isn't historically accurate. 

29 minutes ago, RP London said:

Yes parts of white people should be played by white people (and if historically they were white they should be played by a white person IMHO) and black parts should be played by black people etc... that is very true...

I think this point is slightly more complex than it appears though. This is art we are talking about. Not all movies are looking to be accurate depictions of history - but many have little interest in accurately portraying the look of historical figures (and many do), but there are different ways to do it. 

I have no idea what hair colour or body type Ann Boleyn had, but I expect any incorrect casting on that front would be ignored. Because ultimately that isn't really that important. Similarly, if her skin is black it doesn't necessarily affect the story being portrayed and is fair game with artistic licence. Where the focus is historical accuracy there may be more of a challenge, but that isn't the point for many movies and shows. 

But as for the rest of your post, it's spot on, we are not talking inaccurate casting, we are talking prejudice, discrimination etc. not casting that isn't historically accurate. 

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes i do agree with that, Bridgerton does this casting a blackman regardless of the fact that a Duke was unlikely to be black, equally the Dukedom didnt exist. it does depend on the context of the show and whether it is important.. the other links are things like Daredevil where he is blind but casting someone who is blind would mean that it would be potentially very difficult to make the super hero parts where he can basically see with sound look less "true"... 

its not a zero sum game for sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Its not a equivalent though even on the base level (so without taking in the history of why blacking up is offensive) the black actress was black playing a, historically, white person, when actors black up they are white actors trying to be black. It is really very different and frankly a daft comparison. 

Why can people not realise that one fight does not mean the other fights dont matter and only an insane person would fight battles on multiple fronts. Yes parts of white people should be played by white people (and if historically they were white they should be played by a white person IMHO) and black parts should be played by black people etc... that is very true... however, can we not all agree that blacking up is offensive to black people and therefore it is just common decency that we stop doing it? Its a really quite quick fix, and simple.. then we can get on with fighting the other battles for equality!

The Black Lives Matter movement never had the word "only" in the title but people seemed to think it was and get really hung up on the fact that "all lives matter".. of course they do but no one is saying they dont. In the same way as no country should be subjected to invasion from another for no reason whatsoever (thats a given isnt it?) but we all realise that right now it may be an idea to help Ukraine rather than some made up possible invasion that isnt happening yet.

Blacking up is wrong... it doesnt matter what else in the world is unfair or what else we should be solving.. blacking up is wrong.. its offensive and its childish (and that may be an insult to many kids).. its quite simple and its quite simple to solve.. it also doesnt take away resources from solving other issues... just stop doing it ffs!

This

• Like 1