France v Tonga

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Middlesbrough in general seemed a strange choice of venue to me from the start, with no RL there and no plans for there to be (that I’ve heard about anyway). Cook Islands v PNG could have been held at a packed Workington and would have been great. 

Yep DP looking as good as it did for both the WC and the 4 nations matches - like those games it would have been packed out.

With some warm up games now being announced around the country the Town board should be on the phone offering the ground to a couple of teams for a warm up game - will get a good crowd whoever it is and Town will make a bit of much needed cash.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I agree with your sentiment but Adam Pearson recently said it costs £40k for Hull to go to an away game in France, that would be an awful lot of money for the Tongan RL federation and is maybe the reason that they are playing it here. 

Tonga are away anyway regardless if they are in England or France.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I agree with your sentiment but Adam Pearson recently said it costs £40k for Hull to go to an away game in France, that would be an awful lot of money for the Tongan RL federation and is maybe the reason that they are playing it here. 

In that case, what's preventing them from having their travel arrangements based on flying to France first to play France and they going on to England afterward?  Incorporating France into their trip up for the World Cup is bound to cost less than a separate trip from England to France and then back again.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Tonga are away anyway regardless if they are in England or France.

Yes but if they’re already in England they’d have two extra sets of flights and a hotel to pay for if they go to France, assuming they didn’t completely check out of their English digs for one night. 

21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In that case, what's preventing them from having their travel arrangements based on flying to France first to play France and they gong on to England afterward?  Incorporating France into their trip up for the World Cup is bound to cost less than a separate trip from England to France and then back again.

I don’t know, maybe because this fixture has only just been organised? Maybe flights via France are more expensive? There are a miriad if possible reasons, you could email and ask them? 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes but if they’re already in England they’d have two extra sets of flights and a hotel to pay for if they go to France, assuming they didn’t completely check out of their English digs for one night. 

The common sense thing in such a scenario would obviously be going to France first. As the USA did for their warm up against France prior to the 2013 World Cup. There's little point debating ifs, buts and maybes so we may as well leave it at that.

• Like 3

On 12/08/2022 at 16:55, Damien said:

The common sense thing in such a scenario would obviously be

I noticed you didn't use the terms Rugby League, RFL and International body with the above phrase, would you care to enlighten everyone as to why?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I noticed you didn't use the terms Rugby League, RFL and International body with the above phrase, would you care to enlighten everyone as to why?

Sorry I've not got a clue what you are talking about or what you mean by this. What I wrote was quite clear and if you really want to be enlightened none of those terms crossed my mind. It's really as simple as that.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Sorry I've not got a clue what you are talking about or what you mean by this. What I wrote was quite clear and if you really want to be enlightened none of those terms crossed my mind. It's really as simple as that.

Oh dear Damesy !

• Confused 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political