RLWC Positivity Thread

2 hours ago, gogledd said:

Let's hope that continue in international wheelchair tournaments in future 

You are right that it has been ignored by UK media in the past.

However what I find weird is that rugby league fans on this very forum appear to have had no idea of what the game even looks like prior to this world cup!

Regarding future tournaments, while I agree piggybacking on the main tournament is useful in the short term, particularly with regard to vital media exposure; surely in the longer term we are hoping that it WON'T continue and the wheelchair World Cup becomes a stand alone competition, attracting fans in what would otherwise be barren periods for international rugby league?

12 hours ago, Madrileño said:

You are right that it has been ignored by UK media in the past.

However what I find weird is that rugby league fans on this very forum appear to have had no idea of what the game even looks like prior to this world cup!

Regarding future tournaments, while I agree piggybacking on the main tournament is useful in the short term, particularly with regard to vital media exposure; surely in the longer term we are hoping that it WON'T continue and the wheelchair World Cup becomes a stand alone competition, attracting fans in what would otherwise be barren periods for international rugby league?

I think the point I was trying to make was that in this World Cup the Wheelchair teams have been given equal billing, received the same quality hotels, been given adequate and adapted transport and been made to feel like we are respected as international rugby league players. 

I hope you are right and there is an appetite to develop the game to such an extent that broadcast media will pick up games in their own right. Even in this tournament wheelchair rugby league has played in its own locations and not relied on Men's and Women's games a double headers. The wheelchair events were well supported in their own right and the momentum gained very quickly once people saw it on television. The seven people sitting behind me in the final had bought ticket BECAUSE they'd seen Wales v USA on TV and then watched other matches.

It felt like the drum I'd been banging since 2013 was finally being heard!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Not all the UK media, but some have acted as if it hadn't existed before the last couple of months.

That is just how things work though. 

It is amazing though that once we take it serious as a sport, broadcasters take it seriously, and the crowds follow. 

• Like 1

Two more positive points from me:

Wales Wheelchair RL skipper Stuart Williams made the Golden Boot long list ans was place in the ten player Team of the Tournament squad

and Wales Wheelchair RL player Stephen Halsey won Tackle of the Week (for Week 4) - with a little assistance from Andrew Higgins in wiping out a USA attack. Worth Watching if you've not seen it!

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 17:50, Damien said:

Absolutely fantastic.

I think the wheelchair games is ripe for quick expansion, both domestically and internationally. It is a great TV product and the audience is obviously there with a wealth of positivity on social media for every game. Indeed, many seem to prefer this version of the game over regular RL.

The wheelchair game has several major advantages over the men's game. There is zero barrier to playing and it takes far fewer players to play. Start-up costs for a wheelchair side would also be miniscule compared to the professional men's game. It can also be played at many indoor facilities any time, all year round, and already has a good spread of clubs in England. There is also no huge gulf between full time professional players and the rest.

There is also a pretty good international team already with teams in Spain, France and obviously the UK and Ireland which means that there it is easy to create a pretty vibrant and exciting international calendar. TV would lap this up.

The RFL has to take advantage of this (famous last words and I know it has been said many times before).

The wheel chairs aren’t expensive pieces of kit.