BBC Sport Twitter feed

17 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm not here to "make friends". I'm here because the RLWC has reignited an interest in the game for me. Possibly I won't be here after that but we'll see. 

But anyway, BBC Twitter content will be made up of BBC footage, I expect at least. Thus it's paid for by the licence fee and is made for those people. If other people can see it, then that's fine as long as there is some monetal or other payback.

Edit, actually I don't know why or how or I ended up in this argument but I don't sufficiently care about it enough. I was just pointing out something. 

Quite. Making friends is vastly overrated. I'm only hear for the witty repartee and I also don't care and don't know why I'm posting.

You'll be livid to learn your licence fee funds a globally available website and a channel called BBC world and a whole host of things free outside the UK.

57 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Quite. Making friends is vastly overrated. I'm only hear for the witty repartee and I also don't care and don't know why I'm posting.

You'll be livid to learn your licence fee funds a globally available website and a channel called BBC world and a whole host of things free outside the UK.

Yes. I am livid. Angry too. 

And definitely fuming. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Broadcasting deals routinely include clips for social media. 

Whoever owns the broadcast rights in Spain most probably.

FITE? Whose coverage amounts to relaying the BBC feed, commentary and everything but without the captions? They had it written into their deal with the Beeb there would be no RLWC clips on BBC twitter? Hmmm

21 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

FITE? Whose coverage amounts to relaying the BBC feed, commentary and everything but without the captions? They had it written into their deal with the Beeb there would be no RLWC clips on BBC twitter? Hmmm

That's how international feeds work. F1 around the world uses Sky Sports and their commentators - you won't be able to watch Sky Sports F1 clips on twitter in the USA though for example.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

That's how international feeds work. F1 around the world uses Sky Sports and their commentators - you won't be able to watch Sky Sports F1 clips on twitter in the USA though for example.

I wouldn't know about F1. At whose insistence would that be? The US broadcasters demand that SKY's twitter shows no clips? F1 is selling off packages which include broadcasting & twitter clips country by country, but allowing one country's broadcaster to borrow another country's images and commentators? Or does SKY have a say in this themselves? Hey, it's our broadcast and we'll do what we want with our twitter account?

In RL's case, I'd feel sure FITE have dictated nothing to RLWC or the BBC about this.

23 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I wouldn't know about F1. At whose insistence would that be? The US broadcasters demand that SKY's twitter shows no clips? F1 is selling off packages which include broadcasting & twitter clips country by country, but allowing one country's broadcaster to borrow another country's images and commentators? Or does SKY have a say in this themselves? Hey, it's our broadcast and we'll do what we want with our twitter account?

In RL's case, I'd feel sure FITE have dictated nothing to RLWC or the BBC about this.

In the BBC's case, I can tell you that it's rival UK broadcasters wanting it to fall foul of copyright and rights rules and making sure it suffers as a result.

You can't get its audio cricket coverage outside the UK now - entirely because a company that rhymes with Bork Fort raised objections to it happening.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

It is through the agreement of the host broadcaster in a given territory. If FITE have paid for it, they own the broadcast rights. 

The BBC relationship is dual. They are the Broadcasters yes, but they, through a subcontractor(s) are the producers too. They are Broadcaster in the UK only. They, through their subcontractors, are producers on behalf of the RLWC2021. The content they produce isn't initially owned by the BBC, it is owned by RLWC2021 and then sold on to BBC, FITE, FoxTel etc. for the rights to show the tournament in their respective territories.

So in short, the BBC don't have the rights to show the tournament outside of the UK. They geoblock their video clips and broadcasts accordingly.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

In the BBC's case, I can tell you that it's rival UK broadcasters wanting it to fall foul of copyright and rights rules and making sure it suffers as a result.

You can't get its audio cricket coverage outside the UK now - entirely because a company that rhymes with Bork Fort raised objections to it happening.

Took me ages to work out who bork fort are.

#thickasmince,me

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is through the agreement of the host broadcaster in a given territory. If FITE have paid for it, they own the broadcast rights. 

The BBC relationship is dual. They are the Broadcasters yes, but they, through a subcontractor(s) are the producers too. They are Broadcaster in the UK only. They, through their subcontractors, are producers on behalf of the RLWC2021. The content they produce isn't initially owned by the BBC, it is owned by RLWC2021 and then sold on to BBC, FITE, FoxTel etc. for the rights to show the tournament in their respective territories.

So in short, the BBC don't have the rights to show the tournament outside of the UK. They geoblock their video clips and broadcasts accordingly.

Thanks for the clarification on that.

I'm still a little sceptical, in our case, about how insuperably difficult it would have been for the RFL to have allowed global clips-on-Twitter rights to the producer and host nation/major broadcast partner.

Fite are putting out nothing on twitter about rlwc. It seems a pity folks in France, Italy, Greece and other competing nations can't watch a few promo clips on the producer's own twitter feed.

I was accessing the BBC website for free(i dont have a licence) but looking at the stats for the wales v Cookies game I wont bother again.

They have two Evans’ and two Davies’ in the welsh team and two Marsters in the Cookie Monsters team without distinguishing between them by first names or initials. Particularly frustrating given one of the Marsters scored for Cookies….but they dont tell us which one.

I sympathisewith all those licence payers who pay for this dross.