Australia's lost aura

8 hours ago, RippinandTearin said:

It would be interesting to ask the likes of Tom Burgess if he’d fancy more internationals post season, and the other Brit’s for that matter, given the workload & membership of the players union, medical advice etc & the fact that he like many others have young families  

Well, I watched him in the Press conference on Wednesday and he looks as happy as a pig in you know what to be over here representing his country. It looked much the same for Victor Radley as well. 

I don't blame the players, not even the Australian ones in the main, I blame the officials in Australia. The NRL wants to protect it's product and I'm sure if you asked the guys at the top of the NRL if they wanted Internationals canning altogether, they'd probably say yes (in private). They can tow the party line all they like about wanting to come up with an international calendar going forward but the proof will be in the pudding. Let's put it this way, I won't hold my breath when it comes to the Australian team playing more fixtures in the next decade, then they have in the last. I won't hold out much hope that teams like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG etc will get regular fixtures either. I hope I end up being wrong but we'll see. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Internationals create leading players and English RL doesn’t play nearly enough to make them. Then SL was  hidden behind paywall. Luckily now games are on C4 If England win you can market the lads in SL. 

Whether the RFL capitalise on it by seeing the money is in Internationals and do enough to help other northern hemisphere sides grow is another question 

We all know that the biggest catalyst for international growth will be Aussies getting beat by England more often 

Until that happens (if ever) it just isn't interesting for them 

In 8 days the whole landscape might change.....if an old looking, heavily tattooed, ginger bearded man ends up holding a big silver cup in Manchester then I think the Aussie public will have a reason to get interested again 

I rarely agree with Martin but he is spot on here.

Playing and seeing the aussies was for me the greatest games to watch.

Now i wish we would just leave them to their own devices.

We should try and play regularly against the Kiwis and anyone else thats willing to support internationals.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

9 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I rarely agree with Martin but he is spot on here.

Playing and seeing the aussies was for me the greatest games to watch.

Now i wish we would just leave them to their own devices.

We should try and play regularly against the Kiwis and anyone else thats willing to support internationals.

The issue we have with saying we'll play other teams is that the NRL call the tune for all the sides we'd want to play. They want guys like Taumalolo, Paulo, Sua'ali'i, To'o, Coates, Luai, Kikau etc to get as much rest as possible, so they're flying for the NRL season and in some cases, when they play Origin. International Rugby League is a huge inconvenience for them and that doesn't just apply to the Australian team. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

There not even a dot of what they were even 10 years ago Slater, Cronk, Smith, Thurston, Inglis and Lockyer. 

They have no one close to these players now.

This is the big point. That 2013 spine is several levels above the current spine. Tedesco is a very good player but I don’t think anyone would pick him ahead of Slater. Same with Munster vs Thurston. Latrell Mitchell is a good player but I would never consider picking him at left centre over peak Inglis.

Cronk vs Cleary is the closest one.

Harry Grant is the most dangerous player in the current team and would have made the bench in every Aussie squad this century but comparison to Cameron Smith is just unfair as Smith was so consistently outstanding for such a long time.

There is never a bad Kangaroos team and probably never will be but you can understand why, with a lack of transcendental stars, this team does not resonate in the same way.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Well, I watched him in the Press conference on Wednesday and he looks as happy as a pig in you know what to be over here representing his country. It looked much the same for Victor Radley as well. 

I don't blame the players, not even the Australian ones in the main, I blame the officials in Australia. The NRL wants to protect it's product and I'm sure if you asked the guys at the top of the NRL if they wanted Internationals canning altogether, they'd probably say yes (in private). They can tow the party line all they like about wanting to come up with an international calendar going forward but the proof will be in the pudding. Let's put it this way, I won't hold my breath when it comes to the Australian team playing more fixtures in the next decade, then they have in the last. I won't hold out much hope that teams like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG etc will get regular fixtures either. I hope I end up being wrong but we'll see. 

He may look as happy as a pig in ###### but I’m guessing he wouldn’t be that keen on extending the season every year, I’m sure he’s missing his family, & who cares about Victor, it’s the only time he’s ever had more than a week in his “supposed country” 

If the boot was on the other foot & Australia or the Southern Hemisphere was struggling there no way you’d be moving away from a successful formula if you didn’t have to & the supporters coming from a position of power wouldn’t give a stuff, the fact you need us to validate your product in the face of an always present Football dominance & in the modern world, a ton of other sports finding the delights of professionalism & competing with your game that tends to stagnate 

But that’s not all!!! Like I’ve said on numerous occasions, perhaps you haven’t been subjected to my warbling until now, you supporters & perhaps even administrators have this myopic view of the game in the Southern Hemisphere, it’s not as big & bold & brassy as you all think, I don’t think there’s a country in the world with our population where there are as many professional leagues in different sports with professional national leagues that in some sports span the Tasman, all vying for junior players, corporate money, hearts & minds, broadcasting rights, TV & print press, it’s extremely volatile & Rugby League has through good luck & good management managed to survive through Covid in the face of government opposition & lockdowns, lots of money was spent, but we’re bouncing back & it’s only now the broadcasting deals are proving lucrative, there are serious negotiations with funding & EBAs 

The competition & model we have is still evolving & may continue to evolve depending on expansion & that effects broadcast rights, it effects windows to play these things between two countries from different sides of the world, it’s not like the old days where players jumped on a boat or plane & went to Europe for 4 months, waved the missus goodbye, had no perception of the medical information behind head injury etc 

You people are panicking & if the boot was on the other foot there’s a good chance you’d be slipping it into our exposed ribs 

Edited by RippinandTearin
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

He may look as happy as a pig in ###### but I’m guessing he wouldn’t be that keen on extending the season every year, I’m sure he’s missing his family, & who cares about Victor, it’s the only time he’s ever had more than a week in his “supposed country” 

If the boot was on the other foot & Australia or the Southern Hemisphere was struggling there no way you’d be moving away from a successful formula if you didn’t have to & the supporters coming from a position of power wouldn’t give a stuff, the fact you need us to validate your product in the face of an always present Football dominance & in the modern world, a ton of other sports finding the delights of professionalism & competing with your game that tends to stagnate 

But that’s not all!!! Like I’ve said on numerous occasions, perhaps you haven’t been subjected to my warbling until now, you supporters & perhaps even administrators have this myopic view of the game in the Southern Hemisphere, it’s not as big & bold & brassy as you all think, I don’t think there’s a country in the world with our population where there are as many professional leagues in different sports with professional national leagues that in some sports span the Tasman, all vying for junior players, corporate money, hearts & minds, broadcasting rights, TV & print press, it’s extremely volatile & Rugby League has through good luck & good management managed to hugest through Covid in the face of government opposition & lockdowns, lots of money was spent, but we’re bouncing back & it’s only now the broadcasting deals are proving lucrative, there are serious negotiations with funding & EBAs 

The competition & model we have is still evolving & may continue to evolve depending on expansion & that effects broadcast rights, it effects windows to play these things between two countries from different sides of the world, it’s not like the old days where players jumped on a boat or plane & went to Europe for 4 months, waved the missus goodbye, had no perception of the medical information behind head injury etc 

You people are panicking & if the boot was on the other foot there’s a good chance you’d be slipping it into our exposed ribs 

Does the NSW government build stadiums for these other sports too?

8 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

But that’s not all!!! Like I’ve said on numerous occasions, perhaps you haven’t been subjected to my warbling until now, you supporters & perhaps even administrators have this myopic view of the game in the Southern Hemisphere, it’s not as big & bold & brassy as you all think, I don’t think there’s a country in the world with our population where there are as many professional leagues in different sports with professional national leagues that in some sports span the Tasman, all vying for junior players, corporate money, hearts & minds, broadcasting rights, TV & print press, it’s extremely volatile & Rugby League has through good luck & good management managed to hugest through Covid in the face of government opposition & lockdowns, lots of money was spent, but we’re bouncing back & it’s only now the broadcasting deals are proving lucrative, there are serious negotiations with funding & EBAs 

Calm down mate, calm down.

Sooner or later, (it comes to most people) you'll realise that we're all in this together.

Good luck.  

The Kangaroo shirt should be instantly recognisable across the world. However, it is not. Instead, the All-Black's shirt is.

I seem to see more wallaby shirts at aussie rl internationals than I seem to see roo shirts.

That I find to be incredibly sad.

• Like 3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

26 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

The stadium you’re referring to is to be used for Rugby League, Rugby Union & Football, as well as concerts & the like

so no  

Steady on, steady on.

Where are you from, by the way? 

I spent some time in Sydney, best time of my life. 

2 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I don't disagree with what you write here, but you are referring to long term trends that rugby union has pursued and which their governing bodies are able to draw on for international matches to their benefit.

But on a more short term basis, for example, we have had the Samoan coach Matt Parish banning his players this week from speaking to the media in the run-up to the most important game Samoa have ever played.

Can you imagine a rugby union international coach doing that, or even being allowed to do that by a national RU body in the week leading up to a big game.

Some people say that marketing is a state of mind that characterises successful organisations. If it is, in Rugby League we generally lack it.

I don't disagree. Ultimately I think the problem we have in RL is that because we don't have certain longstanding advantages to build on (like Football's popularity or Union's connections/perceptions) we have to do a lot of other stuff really well all the time. We can't afford things like what Parish is doing with Samoa.

We have little room for error.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

I think we’d have done well attendance wise. One game was due to be at Tottenham and I think the curiosity and appeal of a new ground would have meant we’d have done well there. I can’t remember the other two venues but I’m sure we’d have got very good crowds. 

Bolton and Elland Road were the other two venues lined up.

I don't think the crowds would have been bad at all, I just think they would have been fairly comparable.

9 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

The taxpayer, both are multi sports venues & used for all sorts of concerts 

neither are just Rugby League venues, both are managed to make money so require tenants 

Both have NRL teams as their primary tenants though no?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jacksy said:

The Kangaroo shirt should be instantly recognisable across the world. However, it is not. Instead, the All-Black's shirt is.

I seem to see more wallaby shirts at aussie rl internationals than I seem to see roo shirts.

That I find to be incredibly sad.

Well we all know that Union is a bigger world game, it’s no surprise really, to state that a jersey from an obscure sport & from a country where only two states seriously play the sport & we’re isolated down here in the pacific is a bit crazy

You'll find Wallabies jerseys in England because lots of Aussies living their are private school ###### that see it all a bit of a status symbol, & union in Australia wouldn’t exist without internationals, that’s pretty much all there is 

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's silly, governments don't build stadiums without knowing at least 1 team is going to be their anchor tenant for the venue.

Do the research, it’s all online

Alluanz has only just opened, it’s home to the Roosters, the Waratahs & Sydney FC

i imagine the Wallabies will play there too when they get the chance

Parramatta is home to the Eels & Western Sydney Wanderers, the Tigpies play some games there too 

What’s your point anyway? They’ll be pretty much unavailable part of the year because of the FIFA womens World Cup, so it’s not like Rugby League has some hold over other codes, they’re all strong too & don’t take any off RL 

14 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

Do the research, it’s all online

Alluanz has only just opened, it’s home to the Roosters, the Waratahs & Sydney FC

i imagine the Wallabies will play there too when they get the chance

Parramatta is home to the Eels & Western Sydney Wanderers, the Tigpies play some games there too 

What’s your point anyway? They’ll be pretty much unavailable part of the year because of the FIFA womens World Cup, so it’s not like Rugby League has some hold over other codes, they’re all strong too & don’t take any off RL 

If the Eels and Roosters didn't exist, those grounds weren't getting built at all, or at least to the spec they are, for just the Wanderers, City, or the Waratahs. The NRL clubs are the anchor tenants who secure the viability of the stadium, the others are nice additions on top at the moment that add value. 

The Women's World Cup is an international tournament, not really like for like comparison really...

42 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

Well we all know that Union is a bigger world game, it’s no surprise really, to state that a jersey from an obscure sport & from a country where only two states seriously play the sport & we’re isolated down here in the pacific is a bit crazy

You'll find Wallabies jerseys in England because lots of Aussies living their are private school ###### that see it all a bit of a status symbol, & union in Australia wouldn’t exist without internationals, that’s pretty much all there is 

Internationals, status symbol, isolated, two states, world game.

Thanks.

• Like 1