When wokeism and sport collide

Tosh

Please, for the love of god, don't use the word "woke".

It's a horrible boomerism that seems to only be a red flag for ignorance and bigotry.

As for my opinion, the women's game deserves more than the $800k they're getting. 

They pull fantastic TV coverage rivalling Super Rugby and beating out both the NBL and A-League soccer.

I feel they're undervalued.

• Like 14

new rise.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pulga said:

It's a horrible boomerism that seems to only be a red flag for ignorance and bigotry.

As for my opinion, the women's game deserves more than the $800k they're getting. 

They pull fantastic TV coverage rivalling Super Rugby and beating out both the NBL and A-League soccer.

If you can describe and provide another word for people who use highly exaggerated perceived social injustices as a shield to hide behind in order to further their political agenda then I’m all ears.

How much exactly is the NRLW worth ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Tosh said:

If you can describe and provide another word for people who use highly exaggerated perceived social injustices as a shield to hide behind in order to further their political agenda then I’m all ears.

How much exactly is the NRLW worth ?

Exactly. If you don't know how much it's worth then how can you claim it's only a case of social injustice?

Like I've pointed out, more people are watching it than soccer here and their average wage is apparently $185k.

If that's being woke then you're dead asleep.

• Like 7

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Exactly. If you don't know how much it's worth then how can you claim it's only a case of social injustice?

Like I've pointed out, more people are watching it than soccer here and their average wage is apparently $185k.

Don't worry. Plenty of posters on here believe that we should be happy paying rugby league players peanuts whilst encouraging them to take to the field injured and look back fondly on happy days when concussions weren't really real.

They're just extending that bitter view of the world to telling women players that they should know their place.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

So how much are they worth then?

$1 million? $1.5 million? $2 million?

Do you think Kalyn ponga is worth more than the entire knights women team because I do in the same way that Harry Kane is worth more than the entire salary of the carlisle Utd 1st team.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

"Pull fantastic TV coverage" 

Is that ratings or the actual production you are talking about?

Yeah, weird turn of phrase from me there. It's ratings.

But the quality of the game is maybe better than any women's sport on earth.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

16 minutes ago, Tosh said:

So how much are they worth then?

$1 million? $1.5 million? $2 million?

Do you think Kalyn ponga is worth more than the entire knights women team because I do in the same way that Harry Kane is worth more than the entire salary of the carlisle Utd 1st team.

Hell, the Aus Super Rugby salary cap is $4.8m. I think they're worth more than that.

The Qld Women's team have pay parity with the men's. $15,000 per game and we had the same old fashioned thinkers saying the same tired arguments.

Women's rugby league is much closer to the entertainment value of men's rugby league compared to other sports. It can't be compared.

I think the women's game is being sold very short to TV executives.

• Haha 2

new rise.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Yeah, weird turn of phrase from me there. It's ratings.

But the quality of the game is maybe better than any women's sport on earth.

Genuine question here mate but how many would pay on the gate to watch a NRLW game?

Whats the average TV audience for a NRLW game?

5 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Hell, the Aus Super Rugby salary cap is $4.8m. I think they're worth more than that.

The Qld Women's team have pay parity with the men's. $15,000 per game and we had the same old fashioned thinkers saying the same tired arguments.

Women's rugby league is much closer to the entertainment value of men's rugby league compared to other sports. It can't be compared.

I think the women's game is being sold very short to TV executives.

So you seriously think that the NRLW salary cap should be close to half of the mens salary cap?

How many people attended the womens state of origin series?

Edited by Tosh

56 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm always interested to note how people will use terms like "boomerism" or "gammon" whilst claiming that you shouldn't use generic insulting terms. Like "pale stale and male", yeah imagine how horrible anyone like *that* must be? 

Because you could easily have praised the strength of women's RL without discourse to insulting and generalising about others. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Genuine question here mate but how many would pay on the gate to watch a NRLW game?

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrlw-television-ratings-soar-in-bumper-2022-season-20220407-p5abp8.html

In 2022, the average audience on Channel Nine has eclipsed the combined average for both broadcasters in 2020. About 150,000 people have tuned in to watch NRLW matches on Channel Nine in metropolitan and regional markets.

The 53 per cent increase in viewers on Nine is reflected in a similar rise on Foxtel, which has seen most games attract between 50,000 and 60,000 viewers

The combined average of just over 200,000 viewers is about a 50 per cent increase on 2020, and rivals that of NRL and AFL matches that are played in early timeslots on Saturdays and Sundays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Just over 200k average.

The men's is 620k average.

1/3 of the new $12m deal is $4m. Seems more than reasonable. Scale it to a per game average though because the women's season is smaller. 

The last time there were reliable TV figures for Super Rugby the highest rating game of the season was 101k. That was the final.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Just over 200k average.

The men's is 620k average.

1/3 of the new $12m deal is $4m. Seems more than reasonable. Scale it to a per game average though because the women's season is smaller. 

The last time there were reliable TV figures for Super Rugby the highest rating game of the season was 101k. That was the final.

Mate, seriously I couldn’t care less about super rugby or the A-league so stop quoting their figures as they are irrelevant in this discussion.

Although those TV figures are impressive that’s just one section of total revenue streams. What’s the average attendances of NRLW games? What’s the average radio figures for a NRLW game? How many people attended the womens state of origin series? What kind of sponsorship deals is the womens game pulling in? How many shirts to the womens teams sell?

Maybe $800k is to small but $4 million just sounds ridiculous to me.

I think by using the term woke it plays the man (or the woman, or whatever someone identifies as 🙂) rather than the ball. The article is obviously off season hack reporting, but there's some valid points in there too that could be argued against. Tossing words like woke and gammon in there immediately is the lowest form of debate.

I don't even know what a woke or a wokie is. Is it something to do with wookies. ? 

Now the last few points above were all sensible debate. Please ignore me before we get dumped on the politics thread.

• Like 1

The original poster has seen that NRLW players get paid less than the men and he is angry about it.

But not angry they get paid less, no, that would be crazy, angry that it has been mentioned that they get paid less.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The original poster has seen that NRLW players get paid less than the men and he is angry about it.

But not angry they get paid less, no, that would be crazy, angry that it has been mentioned that they get paid less.

The original poster is perplexed that there are people within the game complaining about the fact that the NRLW salary cap increasing by 153% is not enough and that they deserve more because a certain superstar earns more than an entire team combined etc.

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But they obviously get paid less and rightly so. It's not an issue until the competitions have equal value, which as yet, they obviously don't. So why even mention it? 

It would be rather like an article stating that Harry Kane gets paid more than (insert player in Div 4) - blindingly obvious. 

Women's RL is in my opinion, excellent and whilst I'm biased, the best version of a traditional men's sport. But until the income generated is equal on both sides, it's a no brainer that women won't get the same financial rewards. Not because they are women though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Mate, seriously I couldn’t care less about super rugby or the A-league so stop quoting their figures as they are irrelevant in this discussion.

Although those TV figures are impressive that’s just one section of total revenue streams. What’s the average attendances of NRLW games? What’s the average radio figures for a NRLW game? How many people attended the womens state of origin series? What kind of sponsorship deals is the womens game pulling in? How many shirts to the womens teams sell?

Maybe $800k is to small but $4 million just sounds ridiculous to me.

I've quoted the NRL men's game figures too but apparently you don't have a comment on that. 

The NRL's TV deal is over 80% of their entire income.

The game here doesn't rely on pie and beer sales.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

But they obviously get paid less and rightly so. It's not an issue until the competitions have equal value, which as yet, they obviously don't. So why even mention it? 

It would be rather like an article stating that Harry Kane gets paid more than (insert player in Div 4) - blindingly obvious. 

Women's RL is in my opinion, excellent and whilst I'm biased, the best version of a traditional men's sport. But until the income generated is equal on both sides, it's a no brainer that women won't get the same financial rewards. Not because they are women though. 

No…..no…..no.

you’re obviously a sexist, nazi, trump loving brexiteer for even thinking that way.

we can’t allow market forces to determine womens sport because well that’s not woke is it.

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

No…..no…..no.

you’re obviously a sexist, nazi, trump loving brexiteer for even thinking that way.

we can’t allow market forces to determine womens sport because well that’s not woke is it.

The problem is, and I've given you the figures, that the market isn't determining the value.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

No…..no…..no.

I'm definitely all of those things 😉

But seriously, I'm just a realist and it's not fair to turn this into some sort of battle of the sexes when it's purely a financial thing. Like asking who gets paid more Daniel Craig or an actress from Coronation Street? He doesn't earn more than her 'cos he's a guy, no more than Sandra Bullock earns more than Ken Barlow. (Apologies if you have no idea what Coronation Street is) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

I've quoted the NRL men's game figures too but apparently you don't have a comment on that. 

The NRL's TV deal is over 80% of their entire income.

The game here doesn't rely on pie and beer sales.

Maybe you missed the part where I said the NRLW figures are impressive.

The TV figures for super rugby or the A-league or basketball etc are irrelevant because they aren’t paying the salaries of the NRLW.

so I’ll ask my questions again what’s the average attendance of a NRLW game? How many people attended the womens state of origin series? What’s the radio figures like? How many shirts does the NRLW sell? What kind of sponsorship are the NRLW pulling in?