League - Round 1 Featherstone - Monday 06th Feb - 7:45pm KO

Indigogo

Less than a week to our first Championship game in over 8 years, and I for one cannot wait. For me there's still lots of questions around our match day 17 and i'm sure the new signings will need time to gel. We've only had the one pre-season game where we looked okay against Newcastle, albeit in terrible conditions. I'm really not sure what to expect team and performance wise, so if we don't know, i'm not sure Fev can know either! Fev on the other hand have had plenty of pre-season games which has seen them get the better of 2 SL teams and then run another close the weekend just gone. They are mine and the bookies clear favourites to be top of the pile come the end of the season. I'm expecting a real tough opening and truth be told if we are competitive then i would take that as good indicator for the season ahead. Anyone expecting a win are living in cloud cuckoo land!

Team wise - Brad Walker and Lloyd Roby are still recovering from injury and Thomas Doyle is supended. Other than that i'm not aware of any others missing, but we shold get the squad later this week. I think the 17 might look something like below.

Full Back    Lewis Young
Left Wing    Ben Crooks
Left Centre    Robbie Storey
Right Centre    Nathan Roebuck
Right Wing    Mo Agoro
Stand Off    Luke Gale
Scrum Half    Dane Chisolm
Prop    Kyle Trout
Hooker    Billy Gaylor
Prop    Dan Parker
Second Row    Aaron Levy
Second Row    Ellis Robson
Loose    Sadiq Adebiyi

Sub    Toby Everett
Sub    Mark Ioane
Sub    Brenden Santi
Sub    Jack Miller

What are peoples thoughts?

I agree with your summary. I think it is going to be a baptism of fire for us back in the Championship. However you just never know!

My own thoughts on the team are that I would prefer Graham instead of Storey and Kesik for Gaylor. Possibly Storey in place of Ellis Robson.

Some tough decisions for Rhys.

2 hours ago, Dovster said:

I agree with your summary. I think it is going to be a baptism of fire for us back in the Championship. However you just never know!

My own thoughts on the team are that I would prefer Graham instead of Storey and Kesik for Gaylor. Possibly Storey in place of Ellis Robson.

Some tough decisions for Rhys.

It's definitely going to be a baptism of fire. Reading some comments on various FB posts I don't think some fans are totally aware of the step up in class 😅

I would have Graham in over Storey at centre as well and would have Kez in the 17 too. Find it hard to believe it won't be Gale and Chizzy in the halves but at the same time don't want Jack dropped 😓

4 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Less than a week to our first Championship game in over 8 years, and I for one cannot wait. For me there's still lots of questions around our match day 17 and i'm sure the new signings will need time to gel. We've only had the one pre-season game where we looked okay against Newcastle, albeit in terrible conditions. I'm really not sure what to expect team and performance wise, so if we don't know, i'm not sure Fev can know either! Fev on the other hand have had plenty of pre-season games which has seen them get the better of 2 SL teams and then run another close the weekend just gone. They are mine and the bookies clear favourites to be top of the pile come the end of the season. I'm expecting a real tough opening and truth be told if we are competitive then i would take that as good indicator for the season ahead. Anyone expecting a win are living in cloud cuckoo land!

Team wise - Brad Walker and Lloyd Roby are still recovering from injury and Thomas Doyle is supended. Other than that i'm not aware of any others missing, but we shold get the squad later this week. I think the 17 might look something like below.

Full Back    Lewis Young
Left Wing    Ben Crooks
Left Centre    Robbie Storey
Right Centre    Nathan Roebuck
Right Wing    Mo Agoro
Stand Off    Luke Gale
Scrum Half    Dane Chisolm
Prop    Kyle Trout
Hooker    Billy Gaylor
Prop    Dan Parker
Second Row    Aaron Levy
Second Row    Ellis Robson
Loose    Sadiq Adebiyi

Sub    Toby Everett
Sub    Mark Ioane
Sub    Brenden Santi
Sub    Jack Miller

What are peoples thoughts?

Where I have highlighted....I reckon we have the same spine,more or less,from last season,so we should gell before Fev and their host of new signings,and new coaches.

Our unopposed games against higher league opposition have gone in our favour.

While I hope and expect a home win,it is a nice long season and the latter half of the campaign is the more important.

I am hoping for a good attendance from Keighley fans.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Where I have highlighted....I reckon we have the same spine,more or less,from last season,so we should gell before Fev and their host of new signings,and new coaches.

Our unopposed games against higher league opposition have gone in our favour.

While I hope and expect a home win,it is a nice long season and the latter half of the campaign is the more important.

I am hoping for a good attendance from Keighley fans.

Whilst I appreciate we've kept much of the spine together, it's hard to argue that ours is better placed than Fevs. Granted they need to gel and work together, but pound for pound I would say they're stronger. Saying that, I wouldn't swap Gale and Chizzy and I really rate Lewis Young. Hooker is a weakness for us until we get Doyle up and running. 

I couldn't say I expect to win. I expect us to compete and work hard and do the small things well, and if we get the breaks then who knows what can happen on a cold night in Feb under the lights!

Attendance wise I'm hoping for something close to 3500/4000, Especially if Fev bring 1000. We closed last season with 2.8k against Crusaders and they can't have brought more than 100. With the signings and momentum from last year I hope the boys are back and the town start coming back out to support the club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indigogo said:

It's definitely going to be a baptism of fire. Reading some comments on various FB posts I don't think some fans are totally aware of the step up in class 😅

Absolutely agree with this, I think Monday will be a rude awakening for some. My only hope for the first two games is that we don't see too much of the feel good factor and momentum that we spent 2022 building evaporate, any kind of result would be huge but I struggle to see it.

As for team selection it's tough to know what Rhys is thinking with only one friendly to go off but if I had to guess

Young

Graham Crooks Roebuck Agoro 

Chisholm Gale

Trout Kesik(or maybe Spence?) Parker

Robson Gaylor Storey

Bench: Ioane, Everett, Adebiyi, Miller 

I'd pick Santi every day of the week personally but he seemed to be the man who missed out towards the end of last season when everyone was fit so I'm not sure Rhys feels the same. Wouldn't be surprised to see Levy in ahead of either Robson or Storey 

47 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

Absolutely agree with this, I think Monday will be a rude awakening for some. My only hope for the first two games is that we don't see too much of the feel good factor and momentum that we spent 2022 building evaporate, any kind of result would be huge but I struggle to see it.

As for team selection it's tough to know what Rhys is thinking with only one friendly to go off but if I had to guess

Young

Graham Crooks Roebuck Agoro 

Chisholm Gale

Trout Kesik(or maybe Spence?) Parker

Robson Gaylor Storey

Bench: Ioane, Everett, Adebiyi, Miller 

I'd pick Santi every day of the week personally but he seemed to be the man who missed out towards the end of last season when everyone was fit so I'm not sure Rhys feels the same. Wouldn't be surprised to see Levy in ahead of either Robson or Storey 

I don't think we can expect anything against Fev but if we put up a decent showing next week I'd go to Widnes hopeful. Widnes have made some good signings too and will be hoping for play offs themselves, so it'd obviously difficult but we've got to be wanting to go their and win imo.

In terms of your team I'm fairly certain Gaylor will start as hooker, I'm not convinced he's a championship player but until Doyle is playing I think it's his shirt. Storey has thrown his hat in the ring after his pre season performance and made selection even more difficult. I've heard he's a better centre than back rower, but personally I think Graham and Roebuck have enough credit in the bank to be in our starting 13, so Storey may miss out. The conundrum is what he does with Jack? If he doesn't start then it's hard to see him coming off the bench, he'd have to change his game and come on as a 9/13 which going forward I think would be fine but defensively I think it'd leave us short. 

I think he will go with 3 props on the bench. Ioane, Santi and Everett. That means the other sub needs to be capable of playing 9/13 as whoever starts at 9 and 13 aren't likely to play 80 mins. Spence and Kes have both played both positions so I think it's a toss up between the 2. I'd probably edge Kes in before Spence as I think he's a top tackler and we will be doing plenty of defending. 

Edited by Indigogo

Personally I think we will struggle to get 2000/2500 crowd attendance mark. Keighley is a really hard place to get to in tea time traffic through Bradford. Will be a 2 hour drive which will rule out a lot of families and people who finish work after 5pm. Take into account it's on TV as well.

Such a shame as if this was a Sunday the figures would hopefully be over 3000.

Featherstone average last season was about 2400 and leigh less than 3000 which surprised me after the money they spent assembling their teams.

I think the only time we might break the 4000 barrier would be Bradford and maybe Halifax. I hope I'm wrong but last year there were lots of free tickets floating about. I know Albion were getting 100s.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr Hicks said:

.Featherstone average last season was about 2400 and leigh less than 3000 which surprised me after the money they spent assembling their teams.

FEV averaged over 3000  Mr H and contrary to popular belief we don't spend as much as other fans think

My apologise I thought I had read those figures a while ago. Just over 3100.

I still think Monday night, late ko, match on tv will struggle to hit 2500. I'd love it to well over. Us die hards will be there whatever but I still think we need to get the season off to a good start before the will they wont they start to come down.

I remember Cas winning the Championship with a 10,000 average but went into Super league and was getting beaten regularly and even though travelling away support was bigger there average dropped to 6000 ish

12 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

Personally I think we will struggle to get 2000/2500 crowd attendance mark. Keighley is a really hard place to get to in tea time traffic through Bradford. Will be a 2 hour drive which will rule out a lot of families and people who finish work after 5pm. Take into account it's on TV as well.

Such a shame as if this was a Sunday the figures would hopefully be over 3000.

Featherstone average last season was about 2400 and leigh less than 3000 which surprised me after the money they spent assembling their teams.

I think the only time we might break the 4000 barrier would be Bradford and maybe Halifax. I hope I'm wrong but last year there were lots of free tickets floating about. I know Albion were getting 100s.

Featherstone Rovers average league attendance for 2022 was in fact 3085.

I have some not so good news and some slightly better news - particularly for Keighley Cougars fans.

There will NOT be any programmes available to purchase at this game.

However,it is hoped that programmes to purchase will be available at the remaining games throughout this 2023 campaign. 

No blame should be apportioned to the messenger.Just a shame circumstances dictate a bit of a loss to the home club,financially,when a large attendance is expected.

Let's get behind the Cougars,big style,this year.Starting on Monday night...

Well I'd almost forgotten what that felt like.

Obviously we'd have all liked a closer scoreline but ultimately whether its by 1 point, 50 or 100 a loss is a loss. We will only improve as the new players adapt to the system and still have 3 of our marquee signings waiting in the wings in Doyle, Walker and Ioane.

The important thing is not feeling sorry for ourselves, next weekend is a much more important game than tonight ever was. Go to Widnes and win and I'd still consider it a successful start to the season. 

Edited by BD20Cougar
  • Like 1

A very sobering defeat and one that will bring a lot of people back down to earth. I'm glad we've got them out of the way early season as I don't think we could beat them even on a going day.

What was disappointing was just how poor we were with the ball. We must have knocked on nearly 10 times, the distribution from dummy half from Gaylor was amateur at best, our passing in general was sloppy with a lot of balls being taken over the receivers heads. Fev dominated the middle and the ruck and their big guys just left massive holes in our defence, particularly on our right edge. It reminded me a lot of our pre season friendly last season against Swinton.

I can't help but think we are undercooked going into the season, that for some players was their first hit out with the rest having no more than 40 mins of rugby. Fev have had 5 or 6 games against SL teams and it just massively showed.

Like I said above I'm glad it was against Fev as we wouldn't have beat anyone in the league playing like we did last night. 

On the plus side, I thought Lewis Young had a great game and confirmed to me that he's a championship standard full back that will go well this season. Kyle Kesik was industrious and tackled hard. Sadiq Adebiyi was the best of the new boys by quite a margin.

However, Luke Gale was anonymous but that's understandable with our pack being heavily dominated like it was. Dane Chisolm was quite frankly terrible, kicking game was shocking and then spent the rest of the night hiding on the wing, he doesn't have much rope to play with, with a lot of cougar fans.

I'm not going to dwell too much on the result but the performance has to improve 10 fold and I'm sure it will. Hopefully Brad Walker and Mark Ioane to add into the fold for Widnes away.

Moving forward I think we need at least another 1 maybe 2 big props bringing in to give Chizzy and Gale the platform to play. Ioane should make a difference when playing but Dan Parker had zero impact last night night.

If I'm honest I thought we would struggle against Fev, however I didn't expect to lose by 50 points.

There is a lot for Rhys to digest and consider. Lots of areas for the coaching staff to improve the team.

The pace of the game was considerably faster than we have been used to and this along with Fev's line speed caused us to make far too many errors. 

It will be interesting to see how other teams go against Fev before we get too critical. 

I think we are possibly a victim of our own success in the fact we won League 1 so easily last season.

As BD20 said it's only 2 points at the end of the day and 2 points we didn't really expect. 

It seemed like agood attendance for a Monday night game. so hopefully not put too many people off.

26 minutes ago, Dovster said:

If I'm honest I thought we would struggle against Fev, however I didn't expect to lose by 50 points.

There is a lot for Rhys to digest and consider. Lots of areas for the coaching staff to improve the team.

The pace of the game was considerably faster than we have been used to and this along with Fev's line speed caused us to make far too many errors. 

It will be interesting to see how other teams go against Fev before we get too critical. 

I think we are possibly a victim of our own success in the fact we won League 1 so easily last season.

As BD20 said it's only 2 points at the end of the day and 2 points we didn't really expect. 

It seemed like agood attendance for a Monday night game. so hopefully not put too many people off.

It won't put the fans off i would have thought, a free hit for Keighley as Rovers are an established team in the Championship and favourites ( although that doesn't guarantee owt lol) and Keighley will adapt and win more then they lose imo.

2 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Fev have had 5 or 6 games against SL teams and it just massively showed.

We had 3, against a Cas academy side, a half SL Hull KR team and a pretty full strength Wakey team. I think we were just quicker in both mind and deed than then Cougars and I thought the way we controlled the ruck both in attack and defence was very impressive.

• Like 2

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

27 minutes ago, roversspud said:

We had 3, against a Cas academy side, a half SL Hull KR team and a pretty full strength Wakey team. I think we were just quicker in both mind and deed than then Cougars and I thought the way we controlled the ruck both in attack and defence was very impressive.

My point still stands, we had one game up at Newcastle where we subbed everyone at half time, and that was 3 weeks ago. We were undercooked. Saying that, as I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't have mattered either way. You were far too good in every department. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Indigogo said:

A very sobering defeat and one that will bring a lot of people back down to earth. I'm glad we've got them out of the way early season as I don't think we could beat them even on a going day.

What was disappointing was just how poor we were with the ball. We must have knocked on nearly 10 times, the distribution from dummy half from Gaylor was amateur at best, our passing in general was sloppy with a lot of balls being taken over the receivers heads. Fev dominated the middle and the ruck and their big guys just left massive holes in our defence, particularly on our right edge. It reminded me a lot of our pre season friendly last season against Swinton.

I can't help but think we are undercooked going into the season, that for some players was their first hit out with the rest having no more than 40 mins of rugby. Fev have had 5 or 6 games against SL teams and it just massively showed.

Like I said above I'm glad it was against Fev as we wouldn't have beat anyone in the league playing like we did last night. 

On the plus side, I thought Lewis Young had a great game and confirmed to me that he's a championship standard full back that will go well this season. Kyle Kesik was industrious and tackled hard. Sadiq Adebiyi was the best of the new boys by quite a margin.

However, Luke Gale was anonymous but that's understandable with our pack being heavily dominated like it was. Dane Chisolm was quite frankly terrible, kicking game was shocking and then spent the rest of the night hiding on the wing, he doesn't have much rope to play with, with a lot of cougar fans.

I'm not going to dwell too much on the result but the performance has to improve 10 fold and I'm sure it will. Hopefully Brad Walker and Mark Ioane to add into the fold for Widnes away.

Moving forward I think we need at least another 1 maybe 2 big props bringing in to give Chizzy and Gale the platform to play. Ioane should make a difference when playing but Dan Parker had zero impact last night night.

I need to be guarded here - and I certainly don't want to break a confidence,so trust me when I inform you that I am typing very slowly.

By the way,fellow Keighley posters,good stuff keep it coming.

A chastening defeat;certainly. I remember last year,the pre-season games,and the Challenge Cup game at Hunslet.The pre-season games against fellow League 1 sides. Absolutely awful displays.Then a completely different mindset,and application and belief,and the new side started at Oldham as they continued throughout 2022.

The most experienced head coach in The Championship, Mark Aston,at Sheffield Eagles, rarely plays pre-season games.

There is a risk of injury.The great man himself,Andrew Henderson,signed injured players,and a suspended number 9.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/andrew-henderson-on-york-knights-vision-second-guessing-img-and-route-back-to-head-coaching-4013477

I think Rhys wants our players to learn the 'Process' and isn't too bothered about the opposition.

I also think 'mind games' play a part.Keighley Cougars are now written off and we can go under the radar.I know other clubs get videos - but they will have learned nothing from last night - other than we missed more tackles than we did throughout the whole of 2022,and we made more errors then I have fingers and toes.

Interesting that you mention dummy half.Have a check on the type of tries scored by Doyle,for Bradford,last year.

I am informed, that passing directly from the floor is now old fashioned.Please check NRL coverage - I am currently unable.Also,when confidence is drained,who was willing to run onto the ball,who was moving and wanted it.

Big props are also old fashioned. Now,smaller more mobile players,who can last longer minutes are apparently in vogue.

Although we played Sid at 13 last night,a ball player may be in that position soonest.

Our pack were outmuscled but our new prop missed through illness and when the pitches dry out,etc.....

Luke Gale has to learn the Process,I expect he will do so quicker than previous League 1 players,and Dane had a huge task behind a beaten pack and playing within the constraints of the system.

I was relieved the whole 17 under performed all in one game.

Unusual surface at Widnes.Last time I was there the old 3g had rubber pellets shooting out from the base.

Hopefully we won't let the ball bounce,or kick it dead for a 7 tackle defensive stint.

We really did beat ourselves.Really looking forward to the potential of 2 more games against Featherstone. The first one,in the regular campaign, is an Inclusivity game.May not be pleasant for those carrying excess weight,or illegitimate, or both.

Last night was unpleasant enough on the pitch without the soundtrack.

Still,there are certainly good acoustics in the Hollindrake Stand.We should take advantage of it.It must help persuade players to sign for a club if supporters can use obscenities for 80 minutes,plus.

Far too early to suggest Featherstone will gain promotion. 

Toronto were favourites not so long ago.London beat them in Canada.

No idea if London Broncos won their first game that year.But Henderson had left and Ward was head coach.

An omen,perhaps?

Always look on the bright side....

30 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I need to be guarded here - and I certainly don't want to break a confidence,so trust me when I inform you that I am typing very slowly.

By the way,fellow Keighley posters,good stuff keep it coming.

A chastening defeat;certainly. I remember last year,the pre-season games,and the Challenge Cup game at Hunslet.The pre-season games against fellow League 1 sides. Absolutely awful displays.Then a completely different mindset,and application and belief,and the new side started at Oldham as they continued throughout 2022.

The most experienced head coach in The Championship, Mark Aston,at Sheffield Eagles, rarely plays pre-season games.

There is a risk of injury.The great man himself,Andrew Henderson,signed injured players,and a suspended number 9.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/andrew-henderson-on-york-knights-vision-second-guessing-img-and-route-back-to-head-coaching-4013477

I think Rhys wants our players to learn the 'Process' and isn't too bothered about the opposition.

I also think 'mind games' play a part.Keighley Cougars are now written off and we can go under the radar.I know other clubs get videos - but they will have learned nothing from last night - other than we missed more tackles than we did throughout the whole of 2022,and we made more errors then I have fingers and toes.

Interesting that you mention dummy half.Have a check on the type of tries scored by Doyle,for Bradford,last year.

I am informed, that passing directly from the floor is now old fashioned.Please check NRL coverage - I am currently unable.Also,when confidence is drained,who was willing to run onto the ball,who was moving and wanted it.

Big props are also old fashioned. Now,smaller more mobile players,who can last longer minutes are apparently in vogue.

Although we played Sid at 13 last night,a ball player may be in that position soonest.

Our pack were outmuscled but our new prop missed through illness and when the pitches dry out,etc.....

Luke Gale has to learn the Process,I expect he will do so quicker than previous League 1 players,and Dane had a huge task behind a beaten pack and playing within the constraints of the system.

I was relieved the whole 17 under performed all in one game.

Unusual surface at Widnes.Last time I was there the old 3g had rubber pellets shooting out from the base.

Hopefully we won't let the ball bounce,or kick it dead for a 7 tackle defensive stint.

We really did beat ourselves.Really looking forward to the potential of 2 more games against Featherstone. The first one,in the regular campaign, is an Inclusivity game.May not be pleasant for those carrying excess weight,or illegitimate, or both.

Last night was unpleasant enough on the pitch without the soundtrack.

Still,there are certainly good acoustics in the Hollindrake Stand.We should take advantage of it.It must help persuade players to sign for a club if supporters can use obscenities for 80 minutes,plus.

Far too early to suggest Featherstone will gain promotion. 

No idea if London Broncos won their first game that year.But Henderson had left and Ward was head coach.

An omen,perhaps?

Not sure what to take out of your statement about being guarded. I presume you know someone within the club and don't want to say anything out of turn?

Are you suggesting we used the Fev game as a pre season friendly and didn't perform due to not wanting to give anything away whilst being on TV? Not sure if that's the case but ludicrous if so. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Looking forward to getting Doyle in at 9, Walker at 13 and Ioane in the pack. We will improve I've no doubt and I'm glad we played Fev so early.

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

An omen,perhaps?

london beat barrow 58-12 in their first game they finished second to TW in the league London  beat TW at home 47-16  and lost  32-12 away so nowt between them not a big surprise they won the grand final

17 hours ago, POR said:

london beat barrow 58-12 in their first game they finished second to TW in the league London  beat TW at home 47-16  and lost  32-12 away so nowt between them not a big surprise they won the grand final

Cheers for that.There was the risk of Paul Rowley coaching the same club through the 2 divisions into Super League. Hasn't been achieved - yet!

18 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Not sure what to take out of your statement about being guarded. I presume you know someone within the club and don't want to say anything out of turn?

Are you suggesting we used the Fev game as a pre season friendly and didn't perform due to not wanting to give anything away whilst being on TV? Not sure if that's the case but ludicrous if so. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Looking forward to getting Doyle in at 9, Walker at 13 and Ioane in the pack. We will improve I've no doubt and I'm glad we played Fev so early.

No.I wasn't suggesting the game was treated as a pre-season friendly - just drawing a comparison with how we played 12 months ago - but suddenly looked a completely different side.

Sunday at Widnes,against a coach who has spent many years at Super League level,won the Challenge Cup with 2 different clubs,and has had a fair amount of time at international level,should prove a good test - and see how we respond to the first competitive defeat for a long time.