Hunslet (H)

Wakefield Ram

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Come on folks, this is like reading a Leeds forum! The referee wasn't great but nor were we - ignoring that is being more one-eyed than some are accusing the ref of being. He didn't drop any balls - we did; he didn't knock any on - we did; he didn't strip the ball - sadly we did. As had been pointed out previously the referees in this league are less experienced than those in the Championship and we can't expect perfection, Suggesting that any referee is biased is simply being in denial. (Yes, I also chelped at him during the game, mainly borne of frustration.)

I thought that Hunslet's defence, especially in the first half, was very good with much quicker line speed than we have seen from some other teams in this league. They regularly made half-breaks in attack, which was worrying and, although I expected them to tire in the second half, they looked the stronger team towards the end, benefitting from a couple of weeks off. As others have commented, we are the favourites to win this league so will have a nice big target on our back - players raise their game when playing against us, and good for them. They should finish in the top three and will give us another hard match at their place.

Our defence was very good, once again, and was the reason that we won the game - deservedly in my biased view. This sort of game should actually benefit the team, just in case they were thinking they will cruise this league. I believe there was a bit of reaction to last week's match too - it was a great performance and difficult to replicate in such a short period of time, especially for PT players who will have had no rest since then. A nice long relaxing weekend, some sharp training during the week and what should (!!) be a relatively easier game next Sunday will set them up nicely for the cup game in London.

Another win, two more points - we move on.

BSJ ref was poor. Hunslet should have been fresher and Cornwall at home is not a given.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

BSJ ref was poor. Hunslet should have been fresher and Cornwall at home is not a given.

I didn't say that he was good but nor was he the reason for a fairly flat performance and trying to blame him is one-eyed, in my opinion (there are others available). LF summed it up perfectly in his after-match interview.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I didn't say that he was good but nor was he the reason for a fairly flat performance and trying to blame him is one-eyed, in my opinion (there are others available). LF summed it up perfectly in his after-match interview.

LF did the correct thing by remaining professional on a public forum stating that he will be reviewing the game to gain an understanding of what took place. LF also said that under the circumstances it was a better win than Widnes. 

• Like 1

I have said before that defence wins games and yesterday proved my point I think. I believe it was much harder match than our victory over Widnes. Hunslet didn’t fade as I imagined they would and were very workmanlike in the way they played. Their sliding defence was effective for large periods of the game and definitely knew how to slow us down at the ptb, the referee obliging by not seeing anything wrong. Our defence remained steadfast, except for that one slip, allowing them to score.  On the negative side for us, we did drop the ball a fair bit and how many times did we have the ball pinched?

Some of the penalties awarded to Hunslet bemused me and he didn’t bother about either team being offside at the ptb, nor were the the officials concerned about missing the forward passes.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 3
Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I have said before that defence wins games and yesterday proved my point I think. I believe it was much harder match than our victory over Widnes. Hunslet didn’t fade as I imagined they would and were very workmanlike in the way they played. Their sliding defence was effective for large periods of the game and definitely knew how to slow us down at the ptb, the referee obliging by not seeing anything wrong. Our defence remained steadfast, except for that one slip, allowing them to score.  On the negative side for us, we did drop the ball a fair bit and how many times did we have the ball pinched?

Some of the penalties awarded to Hunslet bemused me and he didn’t bother about either team being offside at the ptb, nor were the the officials concerned about missing the forward passes.

For me that is a fair assessment. 

On 07/04/2023 at 22:15, SUPERSTUD said:

I am confident that we will beat Cornwall. Full week to recover and with respect Cornwall aren't as good as Hunslet.

He’s my opinion on the Hunslet game, the view from the big ram. It was an ugly unpredictable game where any moment the win could have gone either way. Right to the very end it was tense for both team’s supporters as no walk over was guaranteed. But oh boy was it entertaining and even when things seemed to be going screwy the lads still held firm. Tackle after tackle set after set on our line the mighty Rams held firm and against all odds, they showed us supporters they wanted to win that game regardless of how messy a win it was. The defence was superb, Hunslet seemed to just try everything throwing charge after charge at our line and at the sound of the hooter I was happy, I was a very satisfied big sheep again. And that’s what it’s all about the game had tension it had spirit and spice my heart was racing and my voice was gone from shouting “COME ON DEWSBURY” I left the FLAIR that day feeling entertained and hungry for the next game when I can soak up that new energy that the club has been missing for such a long time.

• Like 5

NEVER FEAR ROGER RAM IS HERE

On 09/04/2023 at 22:42, RogerTRam said:

He’s my opinion on the Hunslet game, the view from the big ram. It was an ugly unpredictable game where any moment the win could have gone either way. Right to the very end it was tense for both team’s supporters as no walk over was guaranteed. But oh boy was it entertaining and even when things seemed to be going screwy the lads still held firm. Tackle after tackle set after set on our line the mighty Rams held firm and against all odds, they showed us supporters they wanted to win that game regardless of how messy a win it was. The defence was superb, Hunslet seemed to just try everything throwing charge after charge at our line and at the sound of the hooter I was happy, I was a very satisfied big sheep again. And that’s what it’s all about the game had tension it had spirit and spice my heart was racing and my voice was gone from shouting “COME ON DEWSBURY” I left the FLAIR that day feeling entertained and hungry for the next game when I can soak up that new energy that the club has been missing for such a long time.

I think it was a tired team up against a fresh team. The ref didn't make us drop the ball or have it stolen. 

• Like 2