100 years of Wembley

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Mine was 1967, not quite as good a day for Barrow…but I remember it like it was yesterday

1958 for me when Wigan played Workington.

Still remember that ankle tap on Ike Southward that put him over the dead ball line and won the game for Wigan. One of the best goal kickers ever in the game he would have converted and taken the Cup back to Cumberland.

The crowd was interestingly lower than in recent times but given Wembley's air brush of RL history with them time to move on elsewhere in my view once the current contractual arrangements conclude.

Keep it down south though.....

Can we take the statue with us ?

• Like 1

Stream of consciousness recollection-Cup finals several times in the early 1960s but through the dimming light of my remaining days, can't recall which ones, overnight bus from Chorlton St., watch the full programme of cartoons at The News Theatre, wander round the awakening streets of London, a northern lad gazing in wonder at the metropolitan delights of Soho at 9 am, even on one occasion visiting the offices of "The British Bandsman", the go-to brass band magazine, Foyles bookshop, helping an upper-class (?) Pimlico resident carry a wardrobe up a couple of flights of stairs in exchange for beer money then the mist descends clearing in 1988,  an M1 packed with Wigan charrers,  flags waving through an open sunroof in the slow- moving traffic and yes later, Steve Renouf, then Wigan V Sheffield...ouch that still smarts....

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Stream of consciousness recollection-Cup finals several times in the early 1960s but through the dimming light of my remaining days, can't recall which ones, overnight bus from Chorlton St., watch the full programme of cartoons at The News Theatre, wander round the awakening streets of London, a northern lad gazing in wonder at the metropolitan delights of Soho at 9 am, even on one occasion visiting the offices of "The British Bandsman", the go-to brass band magazine, Foyles bookshop, helping an upper-class (?) Pimlico resident carry a wardrobe up a couple of flights of stairs in exchange for beer money then the mist descends clearing in 1988,  an M1 packed with Wigan charrers,  flags waving through an open sunroof in the slow- moving traffic and yes later, Steve Renouf, then Wigan V Sheffield...ouch that still smarts....

I can visualise Rodney Bewes or Tom Courtney playing the younger you in that scene. Probably directed by Lyndsay Kemp and also featuring a young John Thaw. 

A wide eyed northern lad is caught up in the mysterious world of Soho. A chance encounter with a cross dressing vicar from Leigh leads him into all sorts of scrapes.....will he make the game in time? 

And it would definitely be on Talking Pictures TV on a Sunday afternoon. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I can visualise Rodney Bewes or Tom Courtney playing the younger you in that scene. Probably directed by Lyndsay Kemp and also featuring a young John Thaw. 

A wide eyed northern lad is caught up in the mysterious world of Soho. A chance encounter with a cross dressing vicar from Leigh leads him into all sorts of scrapes.....will he make the game in time? 

And it would definitely be on Talking Pictures TV on a Sunday afternoon. 

I see Frankie Howerd playing the piano owner. Wearing a silk cravat and a jaunty hat possibly still lives with his mother. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Haha 2

At first I was amazed this thread still had legs but then I realised you working on your co-writing of 13 Mays and Soho Memoirs!

I can't wait for this to be published.

Though I doubt John Thaw although he seemed to be  cast as everything at one time would ever be cast as a Northerner.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

52 minutes ago, Oxford said:

At first I was amazed this thread still had legs but then I realised you working on your co-writing of 13 Mays and Soho Memoirs!

I can't wait for this to be published.

Though I doubt John Thaw although he seemed to be  cast as everything at one time would ever be cast as a Northerner.

John Thaw came from  inner city Manchester. He did a pretty good job as a northern silk in  the Kavanagh QC. series.....!!

13 minutes ago, del capo said:

John Thaw came from  inner city Manchester. He did a pretty good job as a northern silk in  the Kavanagh QC. series.....!!

Yes I know, but far more often he was cast as something else ....

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 hours ago, del capo said:

....... given Wembley's air brush of RL history with them time to move on elsewhere in my view once the current contractual arrangements conclude.

Keep it down south though.....

Can we take the statue with us ?

I think this is a grossly offensive and frankly, unforgiveable insult to Rugby League.

Did we (RFL/SuperLeague) know in advance, that we were going to be snubbed? Have we confronted them since, over this howling faux pas? Have they (Wembley) made any attempt at an explanation, offered any kind of apology? 

I'm absolutely livid about this travesty.

I hope someone from the games hierarchy is seeking recompense?

I've only ever been to the new stadium, but I don't have any particular affinity for it. It's nice to have the statue there but the stuff about the video stings a little.

I was in there for a conference late last year and in the evening went into one of the bar areas and they had a half decent glass cabinet of RL memorabilia in there which I thought was OK until I saw they have an equivalent sized RU one just for the one off games they've had there. It seems near a century of use doesn't buy you an awful lot.

• Sad 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

24 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I think this is a grossly offensive and frankly, unforgiveable insult to Rugby League.

Did we (RFL/SuperLeague) know in advance, that we were going to be snubbed? Have we confronted them since, over this howling faux pas? Have they (Wembley) made any attempt at an explanation, offered any kind of apology? 

I'm absolutely livid about this travesty.

I hope someone from the games hierarchy is seeking recompense?

The RFL/ Superleague don’t give two hoots . They’re just a bunch of myopic, complicit ,forelock tuggers.

Haven’t IMG been informed about this ? .
Perhaps they’re to busy with the San Diego Comic Convention 🙂