Smart Balls

On 18/05/2023 at 18:24, Old Frightful said:

FFS!!!!

How many more times...if a ball travels forward in flight after a pass, it doesn't mean it's a forward pass.

Are these "smart balls" smart enough to work this out?, especially when some people aren't smart enough to understand the concept of that "M" word.

This ^^^

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Padge said:

No it isn't, it's a ball passed in a straight line between two players, neither forward or backwards, which is legal. The law is the ball must not be passed forward, not that it must be passed back so an along the line pass is legal.

And that is the fine line that causes the confusion.

I have been involved and watching this game for over 60 years and once upon a time "The Line Ball" would not only have been called by the ref on the field but by the number of fans (yes opposition) who's vantage point was lateral to the pitch. You are very correct with the wording of the rule that this type of pass under the interpretation of the phrasing (long standing) is legal.

But over the years and if I remember correctly it was another innovation by the Aussies that obviously worked it's way around the globe that "The Line Ball" was an advantageous tactic to use, but it is still very contentious if the delivery and recieving of the ball is legal in a lot of cases and most probably the only rule that is adjudged by the on-field officials without any assistance or inference from additional off-field officials.

It could easily be resolved by simply changing the rule to instead of Forward Pass to Not Backwards that would eliminate the judgement of the officials having to consider if the Line Ball was legal or otherwise.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Padge said:

No it isn't, it's a ball passed in a straight line between two players, neither forward or backwards, which is legal. The law is the ball must not be passed forward, not that it must be passed back so an along the line pass is legal.

just so it is clear (you are right) this is the Law as per the RFL website (section 10 are the sanctions of foul play)

3. Mode of Play Once play has started any player who is on side or not out of play can run with the ball kick it in any direction and throw or knock it in any direction other than towards his opponents’ dead ball line (See Section 10 for Knock-on and Forward Pass)

This is where the "momentum" rule comes in... if you are passing it "backwards" ie it leaves your hands in a backwards direction then all is fine because you are "throw(ing) or knock(ing) in any direction other than towards his opponents' dead ball line".. 

I would also like to just point out that the laws are very masculine which I think is pretty poor.. its not hard to "find and replace" the word "his" with "their".. 

36 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that is the fine line that causes the confusion.

I have been involved and watching this game for over 60 years and once upon a time "The Line Ball" would not only have been called by the ref on the field but by the number of fans (yes opposition) who's vantage point was lateral to the pitch. You are very correct with the wording of the rule that this type of pass under the interpretation of the phrasing (long standing) is legal.

But over the years and if I remember correctly it was another innovation by the Aussies that obviously worked it's way around the globe that "The Line Ball" was an advantageous tactic to use, but it is still very contentious if the delivery and recieving of the ball is legal in a lot of cases and most probably the only rule that is adjudged by the on-field officials without any assistance or inference from additional off-field officials.

It could easily be resolved by simply changing the rule to instead of Forward Pass to Not Backwards that would eliminate the judgement of the officials having to consider if the Line Ball was legal or otherwise.

but that would not eliminate the "momentum" issues.. as the pass goes backwards from the hand but forwards in the air so you only get rid of a very small amount of "contentious" issues.. many of the contentious "forward passes" are actually momentum ones. when you sit in the stand it leaves the player, you have to move your head before it is caught and hence a big shout of "forward!!".. yet it isnt.. its a quirk of the game we need to live with but I bet many shouting it dont actually know the rule in the detail that people on here will.

Another couple of things that need to be taken into account is wind speed and direction and whether the ball hits the ground before going forward.

If the ball is passed correctly but bounces forward or is blown forward by the wind, there is no infringement and play should continue.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

58 minutes ago, Padge said:

Another couple of things that need to be taken into account is wind speed and direction and whether the ball hits the ground before going forward.

If the ball is passed correctly but bounces forward or is blown forward by the wind, there is no infringement and play should continue.

I've noticed it's always very ' windy ' at Headingley 😉 

When Leeds have the ball 

But the wind seems to drop when the opposition get it 

Strange , don't you think 🤔

Edited by GUBRATS