Smart Balls

Just reading this Smart Balls with gizmos in them going to be trialled at the Rugby U 20's World cup in South Africa, thoughts please:-

In South Africa, the technology will be used by replay officials to identify forward passes, whether the ball crossed the tryline, where it crossed the touchline, when it was touched in flight and if a throw-in was straight.

"A direct feed will be made available to the Television Match Official (TMO), who will be able to use the information to provide feedback to the referee," said the statement.

The technology will not be used at the 2023 World Cup in France in September and October, World Rugby said.

"A fast game is a good game, and it is right that we explore technology that has the potential to help aid the flow of the game, reduce stoppage time and speed up match official decision-making," said World Rugby director of rugby Phil Davies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just reading this Smart Balls with gizmos in them going to be trialled at the Rugby U 20's World cup in South Africa, thoughts please:-

In South Africa, the technology will be used by replay officials to identify forward passes, whether the ball crossed the tryline, where it crossed the touchline, when it was touched in flight and if a throw-in was straight.

"A direct feed will be made available to the Television Match Official (TMO), who will be able to use the information to provide feedback to the referee," said the statement.

The technology will not be used at the 2023 World Cup in France in September and October, World Rugby said.

"A fast game is a good game, and it is right that we explore technology that has the potential to help aid the flow of the game, reduce stoppage time and speed up match official decision-making," said World Rugby director of rugby Phil Davies.

That should be fun , forward passes in Union ?😂 , Line out balls straight ? 😂

• Haha 1

Interested to hear how it works with forward passes and the tecnology behind it. In theory the technology is there to track the speed the ball is traveling and its location so real time calcs should be able to actually track momentum. Hard to see it been used for each pass but certainly something that could be used on video ref decisions.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Think this subject got moved to cross code Harry 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That should be fun , forward passes in Union ?😂 , Line out balls straight ? 😂

scrum feeds could be fun, who can get it closest to straight into the second row without it being called "feeding" by the ref.. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

scrum feeds could be fun, who can get it closest to straight into the second row without it being called "feeding" by the ref.. 

Still straighter than league feeds into the second row channel...

19 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

indeed.. but we happily admit it they still claim its a fair contest for the ball.. no issue with what they do, just wish theyd admit it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

There's no obligation to feed it straight.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

If the balls in Union get too smart they'll think, " stuff this" and next time they get booted into the crowd they won't come back.

• Haha 8

12 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

NRL are trialling it in the women's competition I believe.

Smart Balls??? that could be interesting.. :kolobok_ph34r:

ooh look what i found... 🧥

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Wish sports would stop continuously looking at technology that completely ruins the flow of the game. Who cares if a pass is a few mm forward. Far worse things to worry about in both codes 

I agree with the sentiment, but I would have been a little more diplomatic about it and have said “who cares if on the spot, the referee calls the odd pass which travels a few mm forward as ok!”

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn't know that David, but I think it is very relevant for our sport if it works, the Gilbert sales people will be all over RL.

It’s a guaranteed, considering it’s the same company as Steeden. 

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

If the balls in Union get too smart they'll think, " stuff this" and next time they get booted into the crowd they won't come back.

What are you talking about? Those fat bellied Gilbert’s love plodding it around in those rucks and mauls.

Just as much as our trim and athletic Steedens love having their nibbles, bristle through the air as they are delicately transferred through the hands, sometimes with the most satisfying of subtle touches from one to another. Our balls definitely being in that type of play.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Haha 1

FFS!!!!

How many more times...if a ball travels forward in flight after a pass, it doesn't mean it's a forward pass.

Are these "smart balls" smart enough to work this out?, especially when some people aren't smart enough to understand the concept of that "M" word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

16 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

FFS!!!!

How many more times...if a ball travels forward in flight after a pass, it doesn't mean it's a forward pass.

Are these "smart balls" smart enough to work this out?, especially when some people aren't smart enough to understand the concept of that "M" word.

As I understand the tech when I read about it during the NRL discussions, it isn't about the flight of the ball but the direction of the pass out of the hands.

So the tech equivalent of 'as long as the ball is released backwards it doesn't matter if the ball travels forward in relation to a fixed point on the ground'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

I was about to thank you for hacking my webcam and admiring my topiary, but then read the rest of it.

Tell the truth , they're plastic ones aren't they ? 

• Haha 1