Rochdale ( h )

horbury ram

This was a super performance from Dewsbury tonight. We might have bombed a few chances during the course of the game, but our teamwork really stood out, especially on defence (I do like to see a good defence) with great efforts from all. Our attack wasn’t too bad either with the best try (in my opinion) coming from the cross field kick for Brad Graham to jump up and grab the ball out of the sky and race the short distance to the line. I think we all knew what was coming and I reached up before Graham did, but I was sitting in the stand!

Nice to see Andy Gabriel back in the team (unfortunately at the expense of Lewis Carr) and to score, even if he did take some time to settle in the game after about a year out. He told us in the Royal Suite that having a long lay off meant he had to think about his moves (hence the errors), rather than do things automatically as he would normally.

Hard to pick a man of the match with Butterworth being awarded the accolade, but I reckon Sykesy must have run him close: he seemed to be everywhere and of course he makes his tackles count and he was there to score a try too, besides kicking his seven goals out of seven.

I was not disappointed with Rochdale’s eighty minutes performance either (easy to say after our emphatic victory I know), they pressed hard on attack and came up with some good tackles, but were simply outplayed (no, I’m not trying to show off, that’s how it was).

The referee had a good game too I thought, keen on punishing the many forward passes and knocks on seen by him, but I still think we lost the penalty count again.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

9 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I was not disappointed with Rochdale’s eighty minutes performance….

From a far away Hornets diehard, good to hear, despite the score.  It’s never easy rebuilding a team, particularly with a mainly youthful core and diminishing attendances.  Hopefully some Hornets supporters in attendance last night?

I knew that ‘lad’ Sykes would influence the game…what price his future as a top coach?  Your battle with our😡 ‘neighbours’ next week should be a cracker.  Good luck in the Championship.

Now to see our ‘local’ comments🙏

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

The referee had a good game too I thought, keen on punishing the many forward passes and knocks on seen by him, but I still think we lost the penalty count again.

Apart from the forward pass he gave against Paul Sykes just before halftime,yes he did have a decent game. Think they were only one penalty for offside all game,against us 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Now that was a very good performance. Hats off to Rochdale for competing for 80 minutes on attack and defence. Some very well executed tries from us, nilled the opposition who never really got near to scoring. Sykes just gets better, one of his best performances for d long time plus 7/7 goal kicks. 

And good to have a ref who gives forward passes.

Yes, I agree with this WR. We played very well and also displayed some attractive football as well as committed defence - what could be better? I thought that Rochdale were a credit to themselves - it would be so easy to hang your heads and give up but they didn't and gave it a really good go for the whole 80 minutes. Sykes was excellent yesterday and I hope that the knock on his calf is nothing more than that.

Finally, credit to the referee who had a very good game indeed, helped of course by two teams that played the game as it should be, without the antics and play-acting that can be seen with some sides (expect a bit of it next week from a certain individual).

A grand evening out all round, although I was nowhere near with the HT draw.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, glemiln said:

From a far away Hornets diehard, good to hear, despite the score.  It’s never easy rebuilding a team, particularly with a mainly youthful core and diminishing attendances.  Hopefully some Hornets supporters in attendance last night?

I knew that ‘lad’ Sykes would influence the game…what price his future as a top coach?  Your battle with our😡 ‘neighbours’ next week should be a cracker.  Good luck in the Championship.

Now to see our ‘local’ comments🙏

Your lads are a lot better than Dewsbury made you look last night. Despite being bested in nearly every department they competed right to the end, and the no 6 was desperately unlucky to drop the ball close to the Dewsbury line near the end of the match, just when Rochdale looked to have finally opened up the defence. 

When things go right and this Dewsbury side are all committed to one  another as they were last night they are a very good side indeed. Look what they did to Widnes in the cup, and for my money they were just about as good last night. 

Hope you hang on to all of the talent you are trying to develop. I always want the traditional sides to do well and prosper. It's an old man thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Anybody know who the 18th man for Hornets was?

Benjamin Killan.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.