Rochdale ( h )

horbury ram

Nice if we could get the ref from Sunday.   Thought we def had the rub of the green and boy oh boy Davey was v lucky not to be sent off for that kick.  😜

I suspect that this Rochdale side is better than the one that we defeated twice earlier in the season so must not be underestimated. Liam is clearly unhappy with a number of recent performances so we will no doubt revert to our first choice line-up, assuming that everyone is available. We need a bit more grunt from the 2nd rowers too.

We will certainly hope to see some snappier play rather than simply being attritional, so need quicker ball from the ptb than we have been generating. I hope that individual players concentrate upon their own performances rather than that of the referee (they never change their mind, no matter how much you moan) and stick to Liam's game plan.

Rams 28 - 14 Hornets

FTS: Restall

MoM: Butterworth

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I suspect that this Rochdale side is better than the one that we defeated twice earlier in the season so must not be underestimated. Liam is clearly unhappy with a number of recent performances so we will no doubt revert to our first choice line-up, assuming that everyone is available. We need a bit more grunt from the 2nd rowers too.

We will certainly hope to see some snappier play rather than simply being attritional, so need quicker ball from the ptb than we have been generating. I hope that individual players concentrate upon their own performances rather than that of the referee (they never change their mind, no matter how much you moan) and stick to Liam's game plan.

Rams 28 - 14 Hornets

FTS: Restall

MoM: Butterworth

Genuine response and respectful reply to your observations BSJ. Back your comments up please. Who moans and which 2nd rowers please?

14 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Genuine response and respectful reply to your observations BSJ. Back your comments up please. Who moans and which 2nd rowers please?

Watching the games it is obvious who the main culprits are, but I prefer not to name players on forums. Our props (middles nowadays) have played well so far this season but I feel that our 2nd rows have not performed as well as we should expect.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

We brought in prop Will Maher on loan from Halifax as cover for Dale Ferguson as its looking like he could be out for a few weeks after picking up a injury in Cornwall last weekend.

Bummer....  Thats a massive blow with Oldham coming up..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

Interesting comment from NickD - comment from BSJ is welcome.

Thank you, so kind. 😉

It all depends upon how committed Maher is and how much he likes playing against a weaker pack than he encounters in the Championship. No doubt your lot will thrive on a five day turnround after facing Doncaster.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Good to see Andy Gabriel back in the squad .... But would you leave out Carr or Whiteley to find a place for him ?? 

Good to see him back,I wouldn’t drop either of those two players so it would have to be a place on the bench for him. Sykes is back so O’Connor back in the centre,who would your centres be?

• Like 1

Rochdale seem to be playing better now, so this game could be a bit tighter than the two previous matches against them.

Here’s what I think might be Finny’s team for tomorrow night. Kick off is at 7.30, just in case some might think it’s at 8pm:

Restall; Carr, O’Connor, Greensmith, Whiteley; Sykes, Turner; Beckett, Butterworth, Dixon; Garside, Graham; Davies,

subs: Morris, Walker, Jordan, Maher,

18th man: Gabriel

Dewsbury 36-10 Rochdale 

FTS: Greensmith

MoM: Turner

Att: 708

Legs, Dews, Legs.

7 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Good to see him back,I wouldn’t drop either of those two players so it would have to be a place on the bench for him. Sykes is back so O’Connor back in the centre,who would your centres be?

Tough to choose .... Jordan on top form and Greensmith would be my first choice, though O'Connor seems to get better every time I see him .... The right sort of headache a coach needs 🤔🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Winger on the bench? I wouldn't do that.

Greensmith and O'Connor for me, which would be tough on Jordan.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Just passed along Owl Lane earlier today and the tailbacks were very long. In addition getting into the ground when approaching from the Ossett direction is a bit tricky.

20 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Good to see Andy Gabriel back in the squad .... But would you leave out Carr or Whiteley to find a place for him ?? 

Think Gab could bag a hatful of tries in this division but I wouldn't be dropping either Lewis or Perry, mainly cos I think they're stronger on defence.  

Centres?  Ollie straight back in alongside Bailey. 

8 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Rochdale seem to be playing better now, so this game could be a bit tighter than the two previous matches against them.

Here’s what I think might be Finny’s team for tomorrow night. Kick off is at 7.30, just in case some might think it’s at 8pm:

Restall; Carr, O’Connor, Greensmith, Whiteley; Sykes, Turner; Beckett, Butterworth, Dixon; Garside, Graham; Davies,

subs: Morris, Walker, Jordan, Maher,

18th man: Gabriel

Dewsbury 36-10 Rochdale 

FTS: Greensmith

MoM: Turner

Att: 708

Not sure 36-10 is that much tighter..LOL...26-10???

52 minutes ago, NickD said:

Not sure 36-10 is that much tighter..LOL...26-10???

Perhaps I should have written that I think it might be a harder fought tussle than the previous two matches against them, not necessarily in the scoreline.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

I definitely think this game will be a lot different to the one sided scoreline that we saw at their place. We are getting to the business end of season now and can't afford any slip ups, especially with Oldham and Doncaster breathing down our necks. I think Liam will go with his strongest possible team. Sykes back in at  halfback with O'connor back in to the centres along with Greensmith, Garside back in 2nd row alongside Graham with Davis at loose forward. 

Rams 36

Rochdale 14

FTS Whiteley 

Mom Turner

Attached N/A

• Like 1

17 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Don’t think Lee will as he tends to go for 4 forwards on the bench. Real headache for the coach.

I believe that Lee has left.

😛  😛

• Haha 1

Now that was a very good performance. Hats off to Rochdale for competing for 80 minutes on attack and defence. Some very well executed tries from us, nilled the opposition who never really got near to scoring. Sykes just gets better, one of his best performances for d long time plus 7/7 goal kicks. 

And good to have a ref who gives forward passes.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 1