FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

On 21/08/2023 at 22:22, Havenlad80 said:

Didn’t take long did it.

It's not a woke point, it's a valid one. The wider the player pool, the better your team will be.

Black working class lads have made a huge difference to England's men's team. Access for white working class players is critical too.

England Cricket have blown a huge opportunity over the years to properly engage the Asian and West Indian communities, to the detriment of our national team.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Damien said:

About time, good riddance:

Breaking the news on Piers Morgan's show. Classy.

I feel that if he'd instantly apologised and said it was just over-excitement at the result, realised it was unacceptable, and offered to meet the women's team to see what could be done specifically to meet all their concerns he may, just may, have kept his job. He doubled down, the Spanish FA tripled and quadrupled down, started gaslighting Hermoso and looked like a bunch of stale old priveleged Hispanic men. He, and they, doomed themselves.

Adios, no dejes que la puerta te golpee en el culo al salir.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

12 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Breaking the news on Piers Morgan's show. Classy.

I feel that if he'd instantly apologised and said it was just over-excitement at the result, realised it was unacceptable, and offered to meet the women's team to see what could be done specifically to meet all their concerns he may, just may, have kept his job. He doubled down, the Spanish FA tripled and quadrupled down, started gaslighting Hermoso and looked like a bunch of stale old priveleged Hispanic men. He, and they, doomed themselves.

Adios, no dejes que la puerta te golpee en el culo al salir.

That's the biggest thing for me, it wasn't necessarily the action and as you say he could have explained it as the euphoria of it all and been apologetic with Hermoso either accepting that or not and then it could have been taken from there. Instead he doubled down and the Spanish FA started a witch hunt. It was all handled in the worst way possible and with such disdain that it leads serious question marks over the entire Spanish FA.

43 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I feel that if he'd instantly apologised and said it was just over-excitement at the result, realised it was unacceptable, and offered to meet the women's team to see what could be done specifically to meet all their concerns he may, just may, have kept his job.

I don't think so. The kiss sexual assault in public was the last straw and I think always would have been, at least for the Spanish team themselves. You can fill pages with just how, at best, shoddily women players in Spain have been treated for decades.

The miracle is that they won the World Cup, the reality is that they had to be World Cup winners before the reaction was something other, "sore losers, always moaning".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think so. The kiss sexual assault in public was the last straw and I think always would have been, at least for the Spanish team themselves. You can fill pages with just how, at best, shoddily women players in Spain have been treated for decades.

The miracle is that they won the World Cup, the reality is that they had to be World Cup winners before the reaction was something other, "sore losers, always moaning".

That's why I said "may". At least he could have gone with dignity, but that was never going to happen.

You're right about the treatment, though. This was a culmination of a lot of very recent issues and the usual background misogyny that's endemic to women's sport, as can be seen by a lot of Twitter threads whenever women's sport is discussed.

My favourite is whenever these keyboard warriors talk about the terrible standard of women's football. Well, my local team Chesterfield FC are nowhere near the standard of Man City so why should 7000 people bother to watch them?

• Like 1

I will never understand why some male football fans see the emergence of women’s football as a negative situation for them.

It’s more football and over time could even bring about positive change and reform to the gruesome greed bloated professional men’s game for fans.

Mistakes made previously could be corrected through competition for the men’s game.

This is without mentioning the untold positives for women and girls who want to pursue careers in football or get joy from participating in it at any level.

To be down on all that or feel threatened by it is just bizarre and speaks of a strange mindset to me.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I will never understand why some male football fans see the emergence of women’s football as a negative situation for them.

It’s more football and over time could even bring about positive change and reform to the gruesome greed bloated professional men’s game for fans.

Mistakes made previously could be corrected through competition for the men’s game.

This is without mentioning the untold positives for women and girls who want to pursue careers in football or get joy from participating in it at any level.

To be down on all that or feel threatened by it is just bizarre and speaks of a strange mindset to me.

There is a strong element - repeated on here often enough - of how it's all down to political correctness or woke or THE BBC SHOVING IT IN OUR FACES.

To which one can respond that Arsenal have already been knocked out of this season's Champions League in a match that was only available to watch on Arsenal's own website.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

There is a strong element - repeated on here often enough - of how it's all down to political correctness or woke or THE BBC SHOVING IT IN OUR FACES.

To which one can respond that Arsenal have already been knocked out of this season's Champions League in a match that was only available to watch on Arsenal's own website.

Do these blokes not have wives, daughters, sisters, nieces who might be positively impacted etc?

Seems very Mary Whitehouse to vigorously complain about something that you’re not being made to watch anyway in an era of almost infinite entertainment choice.

Can only put it down to some fellas seeing sport as blokes only enclave or something and feeling threatened by the change happening around them that they didn’t instigate.

• Like 1