North East RL Leagues

Would be interested to hear from anyone in that area.

My view from afar is that the Thunder is a better operation for downsizing but that the NE community game is down from its 2021 peak. That would be pretty similar to what has happened in London & SE community game.

I also understand that the Thunder won't enter their scholarship and academy in the top league in 2024 but will aim for college/development academy level. Hope that works for them but not sure it's a positive.

For anyone looking for something to do on Saturday, they've got the annual Moody Cup (junior 9s) running in the morning before the Championship game against Widnes in the afternoon. They may possibly also have the NE men's final on the same day (that's from memory, I suppose I could check). Should get 2k for all of that.

Live up in Newcatsle but not too involved anymore. In the men’s game there has only been 3 teams this season in Cramlington, Wallsend and Jarrow. Very far gone from a few years pre covid remember there being 2 leagues with the top having I think 6 teams and the second division having 8 which I think at least 2 were 2nd teams. Men’s final takes place this Saturday between Jarrow and Wallsend.

Junior game seems to still be going strong from the odd pieces I see on social media, which I feel isn’t much! 

sad to see the fall in the community game but hopefully it can bounce back soon and get some more teams in the region!

Edited by Reggie9
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 03/08/2023 at 15:08, Reggie9 said:

Live up in Newcatsle but not too involved anymore. In the men’s game there has only been 3 teams this season in Cramlington, Wallsend and Jarrow. Very far gone from a few years pre covid remember there being 2 leagues with the top having I think 6 teams and the second division having 8 which I think at least 2 were 2nd teams. Men’s final takes place this Saturday between Jarrow and Wallsend.

Junior game seems to still be going strong from the odd pieces I see on social media, which I feel isn’t much! 

sad to see the fall in the community game but hopefully it can bounce back soon and get some more teams in the region!

Is the decline in the men’s game down to disillusionment or is it a result of covid shutting things down and not all teams restarting again?

11 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Is the decline in the men’s game down to disillusionment or is it a result of covid shutting things down and not all teams restarting again?

Covid I think has played a massive effect was already down teams last season with some of the teams not completing games last year which I assume was due to player numbers. think it must have knocked on to this season where clubs felt they couldn’t compete at all. 

In some good news Wallsend took the win over Jarrow today to be north east champs!

• Thanks 1

I'm a Thunder season ticket holder but these are just my own view on things.

Nationally in almost all sports, especially team sports there's been a decline in player numbers post-Covid as people have found other things to do. Then you take the fact that rugby league is a minority sport up here with less player numbers pre-Covid. So any drop off in players in line with a national average is going to be felt more.

As for a solution, well everyone can play their part not just here in the north east but around the UK. 

Everyone knows the benefit of team sports and also what rugby league has given them. If you have relatives or family friends coming up to Newcastle for University, tell them to get in touch with a north east club directly or even Thunder directly. Playing, coaching, volunteering, supporting any support for rugby league is welcome.

People coming up here who know rugby league even as supporters can make a huge difference. 

10 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Gee thats bad and looks like how 9 a side Aussie Rules used to be with 8 teams in the North East and now just 1.

Wow, that`d make for an interesting competition. 😬

• Haha 1

There was a large junior tournament on the pitch and the adjoining grassed areas before the Widnes game yesterday. There looked to be around 10 to 12 teams albeit I saw one was Aspatria from Cumbria.  

Cramlington firm Moody Logistics and Storage to sponsor junior Rugby League tournament hosted by Newcastle Thunder | Northumberland Gazette

Sign your squad up for the Moody Cup festival 2023. (thunderrugby.co.uk)

Edited by RS