Top 5 players to keep for 2024 - Who would yours be

thehullram

Firstly, well done to the team this year. To get promoted with a game to spare is a great achievement, especially after the low of 2022. Hopefully we can keep Liam, and make some good strides in the Championship in 2024. 

With this in mind, rather than listing all the players and whether we should keep or replace, I wanted to list my top 5 players to keep for 2024. These are in no particular order and was much harder than I thought:-

• Butterworth - come on leaps and bounds this year, shown to be a good leader from the front
  • Restall - been solid under the high ball and scored loads of tries from backing up
  • Greensmith - marks yards after yards every time he gets the ball, a great future in the game
  • Beckett - big minutes, big yardage and loads of tackles
  • Turner - how many tries has he created this year (especially with his kicks)

Plenty more I would keep, but these would be my first 5 to try tie down for 2024. 

Anyone agree / disagree? 

1 hour ago, thehullram said:

Firstly, well done to the team this year. To get promoted with a game to spare is a great achievement, especially after the low of 2022. Hopefully we can keep Liam, and make some good strides in the Championship in 2024. 

With this in mind, rather than listing all the players and whether we should keep or replace, I wanted to list my top 5 players to keep for 2024. These are in no particular order and was much harder than I thought:-

• Butterworth - come on leaps and bounds this year, shown to be a good leader from the front
  • Restall - been solid under the high ball and scored loads of tries from backing up
  • Greensmith - marks yards after yards every time he gets the ball, a great future in the game

Plenty more I would keep, but these would be my first 5 to try tie down for 2024. 

Anyone agree / disagree? 

Restall all day long sound be resigned.. 

I'm dreading when clubs start announcing they've signed out Players😢

We will lose some favourites, that's always difficult to swallow. 

I'm a little worried that we will be going up with a weaker team in a tougher division 😢

6 minutes ago, coolie said:

I'm a little worried that we will be going up with a weaker team in a tougher division 😢

I feel the same way mate. 

2 hours ago, thehullram said:

Anyone agree / disagree? 

That would be great if we could keep the players you've named above, along with O'connor, Carr, Graham,Day just to name them,but we've got to be realistic that we'll probably lose a few again.

This is the kind of post I personally would like to abstain from. At the end of the day it is all subjective. At times I am not sure what some supporters have been watching but on the other hand I simply have to accept that their opinion is definitely different to mine. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, thehullram said:

Anyone agree / disagree? 

I’d like to keep the bulk of the team to be honest.  But we need to add a couple of Fergie type forwards and if Paul S does call it a day- a decent 6. After that maybe some pace.   Gabs pretty fast but otherwise I think this is where we might struggle up in the Championship      

11 hours ago, coolie said:

Only "might" 🤔

"Will" 

be nearer the target🤔

Can't we just enjoy the remainder of this season before we plummet into gloom and doom?

• Like 4

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Can't we just enjoy the remainder of this season before we plummet into gloom and doom?

Daft honest question🤔

As a supporter do you actually feel euphoria that we've won the league and are Champions?? 

We've to wait 3 weeks for the trophy, no games in between, players not training for 2 weeks,by the Doncaster game our players leaving will be a step closer. And the uncertainty of what's happening over Liam. 

Oh yes fabulous time isn't it🤔

That's what you get for living on planet reality, games not been at regular intervals this season has killed any momentum, and to round it off, win the league at home (why want the trophy presented??) and have now to wait 3 weeks to attend a dead rubber and possible defeat. 

Just seems daft to me🤔🤔

And just seems about right for the graveyard league that no broadcaster wants, never mind the powers that be🤔🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Daft honest question🤔

As a supporter do you actually feel euphoria that we've won the league and are Champions?? 

We've to wait 3 weeks for the trophy, no games in between, players not training for 2 weeks,by the Doncaster game our players leaving will be a step closer. And the uncertainty of what's happening over Liam. 

That's what you get for living on planet reality, games not been at regular intervals this season has killed any momentum, and to round it off, win the league at home (why want the trophy presented??) and have now to wait 3 weeks to attend a dead rubber and possible defeat. 

Just seems daft to me🤔🤔

And just seems about right for the graveyard league that no broadcaster wants, never mind the powers that be🤔🤔

Got to agree with this post. It’s the forgotten division and proven by the lack of a trophy at our last home game.  It’s a real shame for the traditional clubs like Workington, Hunslet and Oldham who we’ve had some good battles with this year.

As has been said before a  big division of Champ and a league 1 clubs I think is the way to go.

I’m glad we’ve won the division and back up in the Championship however with the likely departure of the coach there is certainly not euphoria more a feeling of job done and back to where we were at the beginning of last season. 

There has been no statement from the club to dampen the speculation but it seems inevitable that there will be a press release on the Monday after the Doncaster game confirming his departure.

Then shortly after a post on here with likely runners and riders for his replacement.

I’m sure the clubs rigorous recruitment process is well underway though and is close to securing Wayne Bennett on a short term deal to to finish off Sykes’s coaching education before we take the 2024 championship by storm!.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
rambo.gif

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

Got to agree with this post. It’s the forgotten division and proven by the lack of a trophy at our last home game.  It’s a real shame for the traditional clubs like Workington, Hunslet and Oldham who we’ve had some good battles with this year.

As has been said before a  big division of Champ and a league 1 clubs I think is the way to go.

I’m glad we’ve won the division and back up in the Championship however with the likely departure of the coach there is certainly not euphoria more a feeling of job done and back to where we were at the beginning of last season. 

There has been no statement from the club to dampen the speculation but it seems inevitable that there will be a press release on the Monday after the Doncaster game confirming his departure.

Then shortly after a post on here with likely runners and riders for his replacement.

I’m sure the clubs rigorous recruitment process is well underway though and is close to securing Wayne Bennett on a short term deal to to finish off Sykes’s coaching education before we take the 2024 championship by storm!.

Post of the year - congratulations.

Every year we hear this and every year it has to be pointed out that the club doesn't comment about comings and goings before the end of the season out of respect to the individuals concerned and towards other clubs.

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, coolie said:

Daft honest question🤔

Just seems daft to me🤔🤔

Your drink is on the bar.

Half Empty Glass Gif - Derecha Wallpaper

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Haha 3

On 08/08/2023 at 19:19, thehullram said:

Anyone agree / disagree? 

Personally I’m not a big fan of Jimmy Beckett, he likes to get involved around the ball but I think he shirks his duties sometimes. He waves his arms out to look involved but then keeps clear of the play- both attack and defence. His highlights reel would be ok but when I stand and pay attention to him for most of the game he’s not overly involved.

He does play a lot of minutes tbf.

Otherwise I’d agree. And add O’Connor- the second half of this season hes been immense.

With FB now officially leaving and likely to snap up one or two of our current players, we have to turn to the choice of a new coach and players. With that in mind does the club have the funds to acquire the services of a quality coach (by that I mean someone capable of keeping us in the Championship) and players?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

54 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

With FB now officially leaving and likely to snap up one or two of our current players, we have to turn to the choice of a new coach and players. With that in mind does the club have the funds to acquire the services of a quality coach (by that I mean someone capable of keeping us in the Championship) and players?

Where is Facebook going?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/08/2023 at 16:23, RugbyPowelly said:

Personally I’m not a big fan of Jimmy Beckett, he likes to get involved around the ball but I think he shirks his duties sometimes. He waves his arms out to look involved but then keeps clear of the play- both attack and defence. His highlights reel would be ok but when I stand and pay attention to him for most of the game he’s not overly involved.

He does play a lot of minutes tbf.

Otherwise I’d agree. And add O’Connor- the second half of this season hes been immense.

Reckon Bailey might be one we lose to Fax.   Not only has re really come on this season, but more importantly I think Liam saw his potential from the off.  

10 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Nay, come on, ye jest!

So who is FB then? Frano Botica?

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Reckon Bailey might be one we lose to Fax.   Not only has re really come on this season, but more importantly I think Liam saw his potential from the off.  

Yep.

5 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

You must be the only one not to know.

I will praise you, right here and right now, when I find out.