Netherlands U19 Tour

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

Incredible, Netherlands seem to be one of the best growing nations in rugby league. Proper, Consistent domestic league/structure, they play the most out of every national rugby league team in the world. Netherlands are only on the Up. 

Also Joran Schoenmaker is now playing in Elite 1 which is remarkable.

• Like 8

For anyone who wants to have a look at what's going on in the Netherlands, their website is probably one of the best in all of International RL and their socials are very well run too. 

Real credit to whoever is working behind the scenes in the administration.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Very good. I'm sure its hasn't, and it is probably just me becoming more aware, but it feels like all this good news coming out of the Netherlands has come from nowhere. Well done to all concerned.

I reckon Yanto might be enlightening us all at some point.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 05:19, NRLandSL said:

Incredible, Netherlands seem to be one of the best growing nations in rugby league. Proper, Consistent domestic league/structure, they play the most out of every national rugby league team in the world. Netherlands are only on the Up. 

Also Joran Schoenmaker is now playing in Elite 1 which is remarkable.

Schoenmaker named in the Elite 1 team of the week.

https://www.ffr13.fr/elite-le-xiii-de-lindependant-de-la-2eme-journee-saison-2023-2024/

• Like 4

On 10/10/2023 at 10:43, Damien said:

Very good. I'm sure its hasn't, and it is probably just me becoming more aware, but it feels like all this good news coming out of the Netherlands has come from nowhere. Well done to all concerned.

Not from "nowhere".

Lots of things to be pleased about at international level with a surprise home defeat by Germany last October the only loss in twelve games 

Winning the European D championship v Czech and Turkey in 2021,a link up with Hull KR,experienced players taking up coaching roles,a stronger club competition all point to the Dutch quietly making progress.

A big test this weekend when everybody's favourite development nation Serbia visit Zwolle.

Im working on HS2 at the moment so won't be at the game but I'm hoping the boys can continue the unbeaten run v the Serbs (3-0 to Holland in previous encounters)

As for the under 19s like most European nations its hard enough developing the seniors never mind age groups .

There is no domestic under 19 competition.

Trials were held for the 19 group and attracted a number of players from "other sports" and the successful ones, along with the younger guys playing in the domestic comp, have been selected for the upcoming short UK tour.

It will be interesting to how they do against heartland clubs but I'm sure they will benefit from the experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, langpark said:

Does anyone know how many heritage players Netherlands used? I initially thought there would be none, but then I saw this earlier today...

Check out the squad list in my earlier post. It has the player’s club on it. Six posts up from this one.

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Does anyone know how many heritage players Netherlands used? I initially thought there would be none, but then I saw this earlier today...

I suppose that depends on what you class as heritage players, looks like there are 3 players out of the 18 who play for English amateur teams but they may have all been born in the Netherlands, there are 15 in the squad who play for Dutch teams but they could have all been born on the moon. As long as they are willing to give their all for the National team of their 'heritage' I cant see an issue. 

Under 18 tours like this can only be a good thing for the future of the full national team so long may it contunue

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carlisle1921 said:

I suppose that depends on what you class as heritage players, looks like there are 3 players out of the 18 who play for English amateur teams but they may have all been born in the Netherlands, there are 15 in the squad who play for Dutch teams but they could have all been born on the moon. As long as they are willing to give their all for the National team of their 'heritage' I cant see an issue. 

Under 18 tours like this can only be a good thing for the future of the full national team so long may it continue

Wow. Someone always gets touchy when the word heritage gets mentioned. 

And no, it does not depend on what I consider heritage, there are clear rules around this. The essence of which is quite simply: where did you learn to play RL? In the country itself or abroad? So a heritage player, for example, is not a product of the local Dutch RL system. Not rocket science. 

This is a great first step, I hope we see more of them from now on!