Jamaica v USA

• Gomersall changed the title to Jamaica v USA
  • 1 month later...

2 minutes ago, gnidir said:

Live stream link:

Its a 3pm kick off local time, so 8pm UK, 9am New Zealand, 7am Aus, I think...

Let's hope they get the stream working this time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Should be a great game, a few recognisable names in both teams. Joe Eichner has been a staple of US rugby league for a while now, unfortunately no Ryan Burroughs though by the looks of things.

For Jamaica there is quite a few boys who played at the World Cup last year and some of them didn’t look half bad. Chevaughan Bailey was definitely the most prominent domestic player in the team and he performed pretty well in the Backrow. Andrew Simpson had the tough task of marking DWZ in the NZ game and managed to make some important stops and tackles from what I recall. Also Marvin Thompson is a 9 who also got some game time against NZ.

There are back ups in place im told. I know with POR there was a power cut at the stadium an hour before kick off. Unfortunately its not uncommon in Jamaica.

I understand there are generators at the ready for the game though. Should be a good test, plenty of new talent from both teams this time around, with only domestic based players selected.

3 hours ago, gnidir said:

There are back ups in place im told. I know with POR there was a power cut at the stadium an hour before kick off. Unfortunately its not uncommon in Jamaica.

I understand there are generators at the ready for the game though. Should be a good test, plenty of new talent from both teams this time around, with only domestic based players selected.

Is that domestic based players for both teams ? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

I’m surprised by the result. Jamaica have an established domestic league with multiple regular games being played whereas the States have an ad hoc structure with a handful of domestic games for each team. Jamaica with home advantage too. 🤷🏼

Edited by Gomersall

17 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I’m surprised by the result. Jamaica have an established domestic league with multiple regular games being played whereas the States have an ad hoc structure with a handful of domestic games for each team. Jamaica with home advantage too. 🤷🏼

A lot of the American boys have been playing the sport for over a decade and a lot of them are very talented players. Joe Eichner has even played both for Toronto and the northern pride in the QLD cup. Guys like David Washington, Sean Hunt, Malcom Webb, Bart Longchamp, etc are all very familiar and experienced names.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

A lot of the American boys have been playing the sport for over a decade and a lot of them are very talented players. Joe Eichner has even played both for Toronto and the northern pride in the QLD cup. Guys like David Washington, Sean Hunt, Malcom Webb, Bart Longchamp, etc are all very familiar and experienced names.

When was the last time Eichner played RL regularly? The last few players you mentioned probably only play five or six games of league a year. The Jamaicans also have an U19 and college league. Seems to me that Jamaica are the Serbia of the Caribbean in RL terms i.e. they have the domestic structure in place but one or two teams dominate and stifle their progress. Just my take on it.

Edited by Gomersall

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

When was the last time Eichner played RL regularly? The last few players you mentioned probably only play five or six games of league a year. The Jamaicans also have an U19 and college league. Seems to me that Jamaica are the Serbia of the Caribbean in RL terms i.e. they have the domestic structure in place but one or two teams dominate and stifle their progress. Just my take on it.

I think within the next few years if the USA remain playing very little domestic rugby league, Jamaica should soar past then. By the looks of things USA’s experience counted today and they got the win.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I think within the next few years if the USA remain playing very little domestic rugby league, Jamaica should soar past then. By the looks of things USA’s experience counted today and they got the win.

The US have been a basket case for years whilst Jamaica have been very stable. Jamaica should be winning this, especially at home IMO.

Come on Wales, we should get involved in a 3 corner tournament with these two, for the Trans-Atlantic cup, (maybe France as well).

There's not too big a gulf, between the three and so games ought to be competitive, with unpredictable outcomes.

All three would benefit from good regular competition for a prestigious trophy. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 1