Midlands Hurricanes

Yorky

As a Leicester based new fan of RL, Midlands Hurricanes would appear to be the closest team to me (although still an hours drive). Following their social media it appears they are doing a good job at trying to promote not only their own side but RL in general and can see they are trying to push the sport to other Midlands fans by hosting a game in Derby last season

Does anybody on here follow them or have any involvement with them? I'm hoping they have plans to put on games around other Midlands area next season, would like to get across to a game or 2 of theirs next season

• Like 8

I know their Chairman on a personal level, he's a great bloke and really passionate and enthusiastic about his club, i'm pretty sure the want to try and crack Brum 1st then expand out.

Would be great to see them succeed and introduce the game to more people in the Midlands.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I know their Chairman on a personal level, he's a great bloke and really passionate and enthusiastic about his club, i'm pretty sure the want to try and crack Brum 1st then expand out.

Would be great to see them succeed and introduce the game to more people in the Midlands.

You can sense that club is passionate about the sport in general from their social media, they were advertising other international games and promoting the England vs Tonga games with info on how to get tickets - all this kind of promotion is great for raising awareness of the game and is much needed for the sport.

Do you go to watch them? I see they play at the Alexander stadium, that's one hell of a ground for that level!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

You can sense that club is passionate about the sport in general from their social media, they were advertising other international games and promoting the England vs Tonga games with info on how to get tickets - all this kind of promotion is great for raising awareness of the game and is much needed for the sport.

Do you go to watch them? I see they play at the Alexander stadium, that's one hell of a ground for that level!

No i've never been though he keeps asking us to go down and have a look, maybe one day.

He's brought some of his clubs fans/people up to our games before.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yorky said:

They played on the warm up pitch last season but are moving to the main stadium from 2024.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

As a Leicester based new fan of RL, Midlands Hurricanes would appear to be the closest team to me (although still an hours drive). Following their social media it appears they are doing a good job at trying to promote not only their own side but RL in general and can see they are trying to push the sport to other Midlands fans by hosting a game in Derby last season

Does anybody on here follow them or have any involvement with them? I'm hoping they have plans to put on games around other Midlands area next season, would like to get across to a game or 2 of theirs next season

Welcome to the forum mate, and it’s always good to hear about new fans to the sport. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

I previously did media for Coventry Bears and for Hurricanes. I'm not involved any more but what I can say is that although they don't get the biggest crowds theres plenty of passionate RL fans in the Midlands. The Hurricanes are likely to be very competitive next season with a great head coach and a squad which is a mix of youth and experience. They also move into the main Alexander Stadium so now is a great time to jump in! 

Just also to say there's a few really good amateur clubs across the region and Midlands Premier games are also worth a watch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I previously did media for Coventry Bears and for Hurricanes. I'm not involved any more but what I can say is that although they don't get the biggest crowds theres plenty of passionate RL fans in the Midlands. The Hurricanes are likely to be very competitive next season with a great head coach and a squad which is a mix of youth and experience. They also move into the main Alexander Stadium so now is a great time to jump in! 

Just also to say there's a few really good amateur clubs across the region and Midlands Premier games are also worth a watch. 

That's excellent to hear, it does seem a club on the up.

Of the Midlands premier, are there any Leicestershire based clubs? I had a search on Google a while back and found one team but it's site hadn't been updated in years so I assume defunct 

3 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Of the Midlands premier, are there any Leicestershire based clubs? I had a search on Google a while back and found one team but it's site hadn't been updated in years so I assume defunct 

Yeah I’m fairly sure there was Leicester Storm but I can’t find anything about them still going. I think Coventry will Be your nearest club. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Leicester Storm were a long running club that had a great rivalry with Coventry Bears. Sadly they are no more. Coventry Bears or Nottingham Outlaws (though they play in the Yorkshire men's league) are probably your closest clubs. 

• Like 1

Season ticket holder here. We played at the Alex's warm up ground last year. Various stories as to why but it all appears to have been the aftermath of the commonwealth games.

Next season announced we move to the big house. Come down food is good a few noisy types. I'll be the d**khead with the cow bell (untill they ban it)

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Season ticket holder here. We played at the Alex's warm up ground last year. Various stories as to why but it all appears to have been the aftermath of the commonwealth games.

Next season announced we move to the big house. Come down food is good a few noisy types. I'll be the d**khead with the cow bell (untill they ban it)

I'll be the bald guy with the beard and the petition to ban the cowbell 🤣

(Not really - cowbell is fine with me)

I missed the away home game last season but it seems like a good idea with the team looking to draw fans from the wider region. No idea if there will be a repeat next season when we still have no idea of the fixtures. Leicester would actually be a good shout now Storm have gone.

• Like 1

I went to a couple of Hurricanes games last season. Attendance on both occasions was probably only around 200, but it’s well organised and the atmosphere is good, I get the impression that the owners are enthusiastic and ambitious. Hopefully the interest and attendances will grow next season when they move into the Alex Stadium. Looking forward to getting down there more regularly next season. 

• Like 5

On 04/11/2023 at 10:52, Yorky said:

I am still involved with the Hurricanes and Coventry Bears.

The Hurricanes are moving into the main stadium for 2024 and the owner is setting the club up to grow. 

The Bears play out of the XL Centre in Coventry and play on Saturdays, so it is possible to watch both teams.

If you need any more info or have any questions please feel free to pm me.

• Like 4

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow