NZ II Expansion Confirmed in Auckland

20 hours ago, EggFace said:

So the Irish Soccer Season is played over Summer...how dumb.

Why is that dumb? I'm not saying your wrong, genuine question. 

As far as I know a big reason was to help teams compete in European qualifiers, where the big money is. 

25 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

As far as I know a big reason was to help teams compete in European qualifiers, where the big money is. 

Absolutely,  far from being dumb it's actually quite clever. Irish teams in their stride taking on European rivals still in pre season. Didn't an Irish side qualify for a European group phase? Can't remember who, possibly Shamrock.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Absolutely,  far from being dumb it's actually quite clever. Irish teams in their stride taking on European rivals still in pre season. Didn't an Irish side qualify for a European group phase? Can't remember who, possibly Shamrock.

I'm recent times, Shamrock Rovers have qualified for both the Europa and the conference league and Dundalk have qualified for the Europa league. 

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Well playing in summer Irish Club Soccer is competing against both codes of the GAA.

So does that mean Rugby Union has the whole winter/spring to themselves ?

1 minute ago, EggFace said:

Well playing in summer Irish Club Soccer is competing against both codes of the GAA.

The GAA season these days goes on far longer than just the summer. Club matches are still taking place now.

37 minutes ago, EggFace said:

You could argue that playing in the summer is when the Premier league clubs are on pre season. Which is more of the same demographic. 

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

Have you compared the attendances before and after the switch?

2 hours ago, Click said:

Have you compared the attendances before and after the switch?

49,000 watched Leinster v Munster last weekend. As for GAA and Football, there's little animosity between the codes now and a fair amount of cross over.  Cork GAA fans will be proud Munster Union supporters and probably follow United or Liverpool whilst occasionally watching Cobh Ramblers.....

As for Auckland and the A league? The OP was simply highlighting the fact that football doesn't seem to drag it's feet when it comes to expansion. 

Not necessarily a good thing.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67509606

A second NZ NRL side needs a backer and supporter similar to Vodafone who threw a LOT of money at the side over the years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

49,000 watched Leinster v Munster last weekend. As for GAA and Football, there's little animosity between the codes now and a fair amount of cross over.  Cork GAA fans will be proud Munster Union supporters and probably follow United or Liverpool whilst occasionally watching Cobh Ramblers.....

As for Auckland and the A league? The OP was simply highlighting the fact that football doesn't seem to drag it's feet when it comes to expansion. 

A second NZ NRL side needs a backer and supporter similar to Vodafone who threw a LOT of money at the side over the years. 

I was asking about attendances in Irish Club Soccer in regards to when they switched to running in the summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

No not yet but I bet it's not that good if they are up against GAA codes.

Fair Play to the Irish as all 4 codes seem to be doing fine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/11/24/league-of-ireland-attendances-up-by-20-per-cent-as-nearly-1-million-attend-domestic-matches-in-2023/

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, EggFace said:

Thats good but the the first picture of the fans with flares reminds me of the small minority knackers you get in A-League Australia...try hard Ultras saddo's.

Guess that guess of it not being good due to competition wasn't quite right.

18 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Spot on, that was my point. I don’t think comparing the demise of the Chinese Super League in communist China is a fair comparison.

A second team preferably needs a backer. I don’t know how hard the NRL have been looking for one, but, I should hope there would be at least one or two interested in supporting an official bid. The other way is to bankroll it from the start themselves.

• Like 1