locations of league Dewsbury

Anita Bath

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Nice article on Dewsbury under the locations of league in this months RLW. Spoiled somewhat by the caption to the photo of the last game at the old ground referring to it as Cross Flatts. You have to wonder if anybody proof reads these articles.j

Yes all are proof read

Stevie Wonder one week

Ray Charles the next

On alternate shifts 🤔😉😉

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I suppose we Dewsburians are guilty of using the wrong name. Often, when I was young, could be heard, “We’re off up t’Flatts”.

I was hearing Friday your joining our merry little group mate... You'll love it 😊😉

For what it's worth, I had a discussion with BSJ awhile ago on this topic and found that the Dewsbury Reporter called the ground Crown Flatts back on the 9th March 1889, Crown Flatt on 8th September 1900 and even Crown Flatte on January 29th 1898. Take your pick! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bill H said:

For what it's worth, I had a discussion with BSJ awhile ago on this topic and found that the Dewsbury Reporter called the ground Crown Flatts back on the 9th March 1889, Crown Flatt on 8th September 1900 and even Crown Flatte on January 29th 1898. Take your pick! 

It’s Crown Flatt. If anyone said Crown Flatts my late dad used to say “it’s bloody Crown Flatt “

• Like 1

On 02/12/2023 at 11:08, Crown Flatter said:

I suppose we Dewsburians are guilty of using the wrong name. Often, when I was young, could be heard, “We’re off up t’Flatts”.

Not to be confused with Flatts, of course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, graham fisher said:

It’s Crown Flatt. If anyone said Crown Flatts my late dad used to say “it’s bloody Crown Flatt “

You win Graham, I doubt that I would have argued with your Dad!  If enough people choose to call it Flatt then that's what it is, that's how language works.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Looking back through old newspaper archives suggests that the discussion goes back way before our time. Maybe there was a time when it depended what side of town you lived  as to which version you used, rather like people in Slaithwaite called the town Slauwit or Slathwaite depending on which side of the valley they lived (or so I've been told).  Who knows!  Or perhaps, as someone suggested, it's just a case of poor proof reading.

• Like 1

Not sure I agree CF - every young ‘un who attended that hallowed institution known as Flatts Nursery (my good self included) or went to buy tea cakes at Elsie’s shop knows t’Flatts and Margaret Watson will never forgive you for suggesting otherwise! I did once run into a confused Swinton fan on Ashworth Road, looking for the ground….

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

No confusion; it’s my guess that Flatts,  along with Daw Green, are, even today, lesser known areas of Dewsbury.

My Grandma mentioned "Daw Green" on many occasions 

Where was it in Dewsbury?? 

Maybe West town area?? 

12 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Not sure I agree CF - every young ‘un who attended that hallowed institution known as Flatts Nursery (my good self included) or went to buy tea cakes at Elsie’s shop knows t’Flatts and Margaret Watson will never forgive you for suggesting otherwise! I did once run into a confused Swinton fan on Ashworth Road, looking for the ground….

Well he found t’Flatts then, but not the ground. I can’t disagree with your comments. 
Margaret Watson is a great historian and probably the best read in the Reporter.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

21 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

It’s still there Coolie and yes, Westtown. I do believe the late Graham Beaumont (Wilsden Ram) was from that part of the town.

It must have been a rough kinda area, as rough people were tarred with "bet there from Daw Green" in a kind of put down term