Championship squads

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Briscoe's still a very good player, you'll love watching him and Hally, am not knocking these guys at all! Plenty of Fev fans wanted to keep Luke.

As for your question, genuinely not sure. Fev are operating on half last year's budget hence why about 19 have moved on. Hard to say which ones were purely on economic grounds especially without knowing how much money each player was on.

What do you think is Hall's best position? Centre maybe instead of Brad Hey or Wing instead of Halliday. I'd be reluctant to drop either but it's already an interesting debate within the club. 

5 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

Where do you think Hall's best position is? Donny fans are scratching our heads as I think we're pretty happy with our starting backs.

Probably wing but there's not much in it. He's still very elusive with ball in hand but defensively, which was never his strong point, he's very sketchy these days. At centre he tends to fly out for the attempted intercept, he scored plenty of tries for Fev doing that but also conceded plenty too.

He's still a very good goal kicker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Probably wing but there's not much in it. He's still very elusive with ball in hand but defensively, which was never his strong point, he's very sketchy these days. At centre he tends to fly out for the attempted intercept, he scored plenty of tries for Fev doing that but also conceded plenty too.

He's still a very good goal kicker.

This is probably why I see him as a squad player. He's certainly a good back up as a goal kicker for Robinson. We were very reliant on him last year. Appreciate your thoughts and I'd agree that wing is most likely. Cover anywhere else in the backs if required. A sensible signing in this stage of our development I think you'd agree?

On 18/12/2023 at 14:03, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It's a lot of players but frankly not that many are big misses. There are a lot of very old players in that list and a lot of them have indeed retired. With more funding the only ones you'd probably want to keep are Hankinson, Cozza and maybe ET and Davies for depth. Obviously Hau as well but he was always just here on loan. 

I think Fev's 17 for next season is actually better than last season but the big issue is squad depth so a lot will depend on what we get from HKR and how they integrate into the squad when they come over. 

Very true, I'm not convinced about ET, personally either.  But I'd keep Briscoe too, and Kheirallah and Longstaff (if they'd been available).

11 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Crikey i thought it was the Featherstone squad lol,plenty of well known players there.

And there was me thinking it was the Fax squad. 🤣 It looks a very competent team on paper, maybe they can be on the fringes of the playoffs but I would be really surprised if they were not able to consolidate a position in the league next season(i forget if we have P & R between Champ and League 1).

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

And there was me thinking it was the Fax squad. 🤣 It looks a very competent team on paper, maybe they can be on the fringes of the playoffs but I would be really surprised if they were not able to consolidate a position in the league next season(i forget if we have P & R between Champ and League 1).

Bit of both lol. We'd take just outside the playoffs. Realistic target I reckon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Widnes squad numbers announced as follows: 

1 – Jack Owens

2 – Ryan Ince

3 – Matt Fleming

4 – Joe Edge

5 – Kieran Dixon

6 – Joe Lyons

7 – Tom Gilmore

8 – Callum Field

9 – Matty Fozard

10 – Sam Brooks

11 – Rhodri Lloyd

12 – Danny Langtree

13 – Nick Gregson

14 – Jordan Johnstone

15 – Liam Kirk

16 – Max Roberts

17 – Liam Bent

19 – Sam Wilde

20 – Mike Butt

21 – Ollie Brookes

22 – Ant Walker

23 – Will Tilleke

24 – Lloyd Roby

30 – Martyn Reilly

The previously announced season long loan (Harvey Wilson from Wigan) and dual reg (Lucas Green & Tom Whitehead from Warrington) don't appear to have been allocated numbers in the press release, which seems odd. 

Mid-table seems realistic, with a chance of making the play-offs in 6th.

• Like 1

Just now, Rene_Artois said:

Fair call. Decent looking squad

For some reason, I thought we'd had quite a high amount of turnover since last season, but if you compare the starting 17 based on the squad list, there's 5 new signings - Sam Brooks, Rhodri Lloyd, Danny Langtree, Nick Gregson and Liam Kirk and 3 outside the 17, Mike Butt, Lloyd Roby and Martyn Reilly.

The players who left at the end of 2023 are Danny Craven (Oldham), Adam Lawton (Oldham), Owen Farnworth (Oldham), Aaron Brown (Keighley), Olly Davies (Halifax), Brad Holroyd, Ryan Millar (Sheffield Eagles), Shane Grady (retired) and Lewis Hatton (Keighley). I think the 2024 squad looks slightly stronger than 2023, but there's not a lot in it.

Probably short on cover at half-back and size in the forwards, and probably Joe Edge is the only one that I might think should be in SL rather than the championship.

That's not a massive turnover at all. Ours was similar. 9 in 9 out. As long as you're keeping the players you want to keep and replace the ones released with better you have to improve. Looking through your ins and outs is there anyone you regret leaving?

Our main issue is not in the quality of our signings or the key players we've retained. There's a handful of players who were regulars last year but now will have to do a bit more to make the 17. I'm happy though with the character of those lads that they'll be up for it. I'm not naming players cos that's not fair. There's a few lads with a point to prove and I hope they will.

First Fev squad of pre-season announced. 4 trailists and 1 DR.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Rene_Artois said:

That's not a massive turnover at all. Ours was similar. 9 in 9 out. As long as you're keeping the players you want to keep and replace the ones released with better you have to improve. Looking through your ins and outs is there anyone you regret leaving?

Fev probably demonstrate what massive turnover is. Only 5 of the 19 man squad for Sunday were contracted last season.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb