31 minutes ago, Worzel said:

I assume what Paul's saying is the audience demographics mean that the in-game adverts don't hit the "right" type of people when seen through that channel.

My view though would be that it's incremental: We can sell energy drinks to the younger Sky demographic, and Ovaltine to the BBC viewers, if our sport is shown on both. 🤣

What I am saying is that sponsors reach a far better demographic on SKY + one has some global coverage .

YES I get it that the BBC audience is bigger its FTA so always will be in the UK however matches on BBC never have a consistent fixed viewership (Unless maybe an England appearance in a WC Semi-Final Final deciding match in a 3 test series v Australia or New Zealand) its a peak and huge drop off as viewers  are channel flicking whilst sitting in their arm chair most half asleep in the winter:) with SKY one pays for it and its a pretty much dedicated audience.

I would also add (And more so since covid) many global corporations make global decisions and that decision maker could be in the USA Australia Singapore Dubai etc thats why SKY is so important nowadays i would also add that BT Sport (Now TNT) was/is also a hard sell West Indian cricket want from Sky Sports to BT Sport and the interest went down the toilet.

Paul 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What I am saying is that sponsors reach a far better demographic on SKY + one has some global coverage .

YES I get it that the BBC audience is bigger its FTA so always will be in the UK however matches on BBC never have a consistent fixed viewership (Unless maybe an England appearance in a WC Semi-Final Final deciding match in a 3 test series v Australia or New Zealand) its a peak and huge drop off as viewers  are channel flicking whilst sitting in their arm chair most half asleep in the winter:) with SKY one pays for it and its a pretty much dedicated audience.

I would also add (And more so since covid) many global corporations make global decisions and that decision maker could be in the USA Australia Singapore Dubai etc thats why SKY is so important nowadays i would also add that BT Sport (Now TNT) was/is also a hard sell West Indian cricket want from Sky Sports to BT Sport and the interest went down the toilet.

Paul 

But given that nobody is arguing to take rugby league off Sky, there's no evidence being on the BBC as well is deleterious to the Sky coverage, and that your own argument seems to be that BBC viewers are a different profile to Sky viewers, it seems pretty obvious to me that Super League having incremental audience via the BBC can only be a good thing for all of the game's stakeholders?

Nobody sees the BBC as a panacea, or an alternative. Just additional progress. The BBC Sport website remains the #1 sports news site in the UK for example, and if having more linear TV content broadcast on the BBC channels means that we get greater content volume and positioning on that website then that alone is a very strong argument for doing it. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul 

You haven't made this point - you've just said something. 

BBC figures are consistently 3-5 times higher than Sky, sometimes much more than that. Even accounting for casual viewing. 

I'm still confused by what you mean when you keep saying Sky has global reach. 

• Like 2