Huddersfield sign Tom Burgess from 2025

On 07/02/2024 at 20:06, binosh said:

Was nailed on to sign for Warrington and link up with Sam, clearly Sam has seen enough of the Warrington culture and told  his brother not to bother.

That wouldn't say a great deal about Sam's confidence as a leader to impact a club's culture. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

If he isn't ,he will certainly be in the top few highest. However seems strange to spend a large amount on someone who will not be on the pitch much more than 40 mins per game. It's obviously down to Huddersfield ,but in my view Marquee should be real match winners and that is usually backs and pivots.

I agree. Maybe I'm wrong but there just doesn't seem to be any real plan in place when it comes to recruitment for Ian Watson the last couple of years, after years at clubs with limited budgets in Salford and Swinton he comes off like a kid in a sweetshop who's just got his pocket money for the first time. It looked that way last year when he brought in Connor despite having arguably better options already at the club and ended up with constantly chopping and changing his pivots because he couldn't figure out how to fit them in. Then he kept blaming poor form on Olly Russell being injured because he was supposed to be the organizer that held all his mavericks together, before going signing Clune and dropping Russell down the pecking order. Now despite having a pretty decent pack with a lot of depth of up and comers, they've spaffed a monster contract on a mid 30's low minutes impact prop. They'd have been far better off spending that money on getting a top class hooker in to replace Adam Milner or a strike centre to replace Marsters. 

• Like 4

There feels a bit more to this than meets the eye. I can't see that the numbers would be so drastically different with Wires financial strength but I could see that Tom Burgess would rather not play under his brother and may be looking down the track and wanting to avoid a potentially awkward situation of Sam either deciding to move on or being moved on. There is a year before he comes here for starters, so he has no ability to impact the start Sam makes to his career at Wire and who knows how it could look in a year or two. 

Ultimately Wire don't just need big games to turn things anyway, they need to change the whole culture of the place and they need to start changing how they bring young players through. It's not just a case of giving them chances but also showing patience in them and protecting and building their confidence. I think having a guy like Sam Burgess around can be huge in that regard and somebody like Sam Powell at the club will also help. He's not the best hooker in the comp but there won't be many better leaders/professionals knocking about. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WN83 said:

There feels a bit more to this than meets the eye. I can't see that the numbers would be so drastically different with Wires financial strength but I could see that Tom Burgess would rather not play under his brother and may be looking down the track and wanting to avoid a potentially awkward situation of Sam either deciding to move on or being moved on. There is a year before he comes here for starters, so he has no ability to impact the start Sam makes to his career at Wire and who knows how it could look in a year or two. 

Ultimately Wire don't just need big games to turn things anyway, they need to change the whole culture of the place and they need to start changing how they bring young players through. It's not just a case of giving them chances but also showing patience in them and protecting and building their confidence. I think having a guy like Sam Burgess around can be huge in that regard and somebody like Sam Powell at the club will also help. He's not the best hooker in the comp but there won't be many better leaders/professionals knocking about. 

Have to say, I think it is a lot more basic than that and you are over thinking it.

Huddersfield offered him a better contract so he decided to sign for Huddersfield. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say, I think it is a lot more basic than that and you are over thinking it.

Huddersfield offered him a better contract so he decided to sign for Huddersfield. 

Agreed. 

Huddersfield are clearly paying silly three-year money for someone who will be nearly 33 on debut and probably get injured and go home early pleading homesickness.

7 minutes ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

But Dewsbury’s only down the road. You could walk there for lunch each day! 

yes there's lots of lovely eateries in Dewsbury - some really classy joints

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

33 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Agreed. 

Huddersfield are clearly paying silly three-year money for someone who will be nearly 33 on debut and probably get injured and go home early pleading homesickness.

Well, partially agreed.

I think Burgess chose Huddersfield for the contract (money) but I also think he will be a great signing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I’m sure they’ve offered him more but I just don’t think it’ll be as vastly different as Sam Burgess made out and I would’ve thought Wire would get him over Huddersfield considering his brother is there, even if it was on a lesser wage (that I’m sure would still have been massive). All things weighed up I think he maybe just thought playing elsewhere and on more money would be a win win and put a bit less pressure on. 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well, partially agreed.

I think Burgess chose Huddersfield for the contract (money) but I also think he will be a great signing. 

To be honest, whenever I think of Huddersfield I always think of them having giants of players like Burgess (obviously tainted by them having Crabtree for so many years)

It'll be a great signing for them, and hopefully should get a few fans out of hiding to see him play. 

On 08/02/2024 at 20:33, LeytherRob said:

I agree. Maybe I'm wrong but there just doesn't seem to be any real plan in place when it comes to recruitment for Ian Watson the last couple of years, after years at clubs with limited budgets in Salford and Swinton he comes off like a kid in a sweetshop who's just got his pocket money for the first time. It looked that way last year when he brought in Connor despite having arguably better options already at the club and ended up with constantly chopping and changing his pivots because he couldn't figure out how to fit them in. Then he kept blaming poor form on Olly Russell being injured because he was supposed to be the organizer that held all his mavericks together, before going signing Clune and dropping Russell down the pecking order. Now despite having a pretty decent pack with a lot of depth of up and comers, they've spaffed a monster contract on a mid 30's low minutes impact prop. They'd have been far better off spending that money on getting a top class hooker in to replace Adam Milner or a strike centre to replace Marsters. 

Pretty much agree with this, He would be a good signing for pretty much any club in superleague and i'm happy with it but the truth is it is not our forwards that have disappointed, We have not replaced Levi  with anything like a decent player and despite all the raps Watson gives Russel he is one of the players we should be looking to replace, We have lost good forwards through having too many of them and yet I W continues to put everything into the pack, He is on year 4 now of his 5 year plan with yet another crop of new players which seems a strange way to build the successful side he promised.

Say what you like about K Davy he is  not shy of spending his money , I can think of a few clubs he would have had far more success with , He has shown in the past that he is quite prepared to spend on coaches just as much as players so if the Giants flop again this coming season Mr Watson may not even get to coach Sam Burgess. I pray we have a good season this year cause god knows its time KD got something back for his money, We shall see in the fullness of time

• Like 1

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

2 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Pretty much agree with this, He would be a good signing for pretty much any club in superleague and i'm happy with it but the truth is it is not our forwards that have disappointed, We have not replaced Levi  with anything like a decent player and despite all the raps Watson gives Russel he is one of the players we should be looking to replace, We have lost good forwards through having too many of them and yet I W continues to put everything into the pack, He is on year 4 now of his 5 year plan with yet another crop of new players which seems a strange way to build the successful side he promised.

Say what you like about K Davy he is  not shy of spending his money , I can think of a few clubs he would have had far more success with , He has shown in the past that he is quite prepared to spend on coaches just as much as players so if the Giants flop again this coming season Mr Watson may not even get to coach Sam Burgess. I pray we have a good season this year cause god knows its time KD got something back for his money, We shall see in the fullness of time

Yes I don't think it's any coincidence that Huddersfield went from finishing top 3 in 2022 with Levi to 9th with Peats/Milner in 2023. Hooker is the most important position in the game for me, you can have the best halfbacks or forwards in the world but if that first ball out the tackle is slow or inaccurate then defences have all the time in the world to shut down the play, same with having a hooker with no run threat. Levi had both of those qualities, Milner has neither for me. If I had to pick one English player to throw marquee money at that would transform Huddersfield tomorrow, it would be Andy Ackers and not Tom Burgess.