1895 cup

stillcrazy

13 minutes ago, stillcrazy said:

Is there any financial reward in this competition - does Barrow get any prize money for getting past the first round?

Apparently not. Just ask Batley what financial reward they got last year!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stillcrazy said:

So what is the incentive for playing this competition?

None.   Mickey mouse cup

• Like 2

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Clubs get £15 per ticket sold through the club for the final. If Barrow ever get there you would assume we would take at least 5,000 given that Barrow AFC have taken around 10,000 for their two FA Trophy finals and Barrovians tend to support one off events.

For the Wakefield fixture it is shared gate and you would hope that there would be around 5,000 there given Wakefield's strong season ticket sales. Financially it is possibly the best draw we could have had - even better than a home fixture. Hopefully our supporters travel in numbers and we will have a fair few players back so we are going to give it a go. We won't be resting players as we have a week off before the league campaign starts.

• Like 8
BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

4 hours ago, the man said:

Clubs get £15 per ticket sold through the club for the final. If Barrow ever get there you would assume we would take at least 5,000 given that Barrow AFC have taken around 10,000 for their two FA Trophy finals and Barrovians tend to support one off events.

For the Wakefield fixture it is shared gate and you would hope that there would be around 5,000 there given Wakefield's strong season ticket sales. Financially it is possibly the best draw we could have had - even better than a home fixture. Hopefully our supporters travel in numbers and we will have a fair few players back so we are going to give it a go. We won't be resting players as we have a week off before the league campaign starts.

I think that you are being a bit unrealistic with your figures but it is your opinion and you are entitled to it

I agree with clarkey's comment above

I think in hindsight, and although it was great to be at Wembley, the extended run in the CC and the extra games for the 1895 cup really was not beneficial for Batley. Given the drop in form we had after the Wembley game, it really cost us atleast 2 places in the league in my estimation. No real financial benefit for the Wembley gig and it was a big cost to the club, for the event and the rest of the season performance wise. Even worse this year, if you lose to Wakefield, then I would assume they would progress to the final at Wembley, and who would want to put all that effort into progressing further, just to go there to get inevitably drubbed? So for some teams it will be a choice between 1895 cup final or top 6 in the league.

• Like 2

On 21/02/2024 at 11:48, BullyXL said:

I think in hindsight, and although it was great to be at Wembley, the extended run in the CC and the extra games for the 1895 cup really was not beneficial for Batley. Given the drop in form we had after the Wembley game, it really cost us atleast 2 places in the league in my estimation. No real financial benefit for the Wembley gig and it was a big cost to the club, for the event and the rest of the season performance wise. Even worse this year, if you lose to Wakefield, then I would assume they would progress to the final at Wembley, and who would want to put all that effort into progressing further, just to go there to get inevitably drubbed? So for some teams it will be a choice between 1895 cup final or top 6 in the league.

So you would have swapped seeing your team at Wembley for an extra couple of places on the league ladder?

• Like 1

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

2 hours ago, gillmeister said:

So you would have swapped seeing your team at Wembley for an extra couple of places on the league ladder?

I think what was said holds true - being on a high after winning a final at Wembley and then having to pick yourself up again for the bread and butter of a league campaign isn't so easy. 

If the league campaign stutters through fatigue/stretched resources etc, it's only natural to be left with a feeling of what might have been. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beaten 30 - 12. 

We had a shocking first 5 minutes going down 12-0 but we competed with Wakefield for a good 75 minutes and had periods of dominance. 

Pack was outstanding and kicking in the second half was superb along with our defence. 

We have a good side here, there was a lot to like about today's performance. 

• Like 4

Full game is now on wakey YouTube. Some good showings Max Anderson-Moore all round game was good. Bedward had a go first time we've seen him I suspect more minutes will be coming his way. Overall a dogged performance after a shaky start, plenty to build on. Johnston and Walkers kicking game a highlight for me. 

• Like 1