Lest We Forget

Today is Anzac Day and the football codes will be full of fixtures. The NRL does a great job of honouring the Australian and New Zealander veterans of conflict since the Boar War.

Unforgotten are all the British and other veterans who have made the same sacrifices as our veterans to defend our freedoms.

I hope as many of us can take the time to watch the pre match ceremony of one of today’s or this weekend’s fixtures and take time to consider how lucky most of us are to have had such brave people stand up for us all.

Lest We Foget 

• Like 11

I dont think british and other veterans are forgotten….its just that remembrance day is the day chosen for that purpose in UK.

Having attended the dawn service at Gallipoli there is an official british military presence at the service every year

There were more british deaths at Gallipoli (or the Dardanelles as it is referred to in UK) than Australia and NZ combined but that reflects the different number of participants from the respective countries.

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I dont think british and other veterans are forgotten….its just that remembrance day is the day chosen for that purpose in UK.

Having attended the dawn service at Gallipoli there is an official british military presence at the service every year

There were more british deaths at Gallipoli (or the Dardanelles as it is referred to in UK) than Australia and NZ combined but that reflects the different number of participants from the respective countries.

SP said the British and others were unforgotten. 🇬🇧

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

oday is Anzac Day and the football codes will be full of fixtures. The NRL does a great job of honouring the Australian and New Zealander veterans of conflict since the Boar War

LOL.

• Haha 1

My ties to Rugby League obliquely stem from a great-grandfather. He was 17 in 1914. Lied about his age to volunteer. Fought in the Dardanelles campaign where he lost an eye. The family kept a casket with his glass eyes, medals, and other memorabilia. As a child, I was fascinated by the contents.

After the war, he worked at the Agecroft Colliery. Got photos of him on a works outing to the Challenge Cup final. Died from emphysema before I was born. Assuredly not forgotten.

• Like 1

I think we make our mark on (or about) 11 November.

It's just that it's outside our season so we're inevitably restricted to whatever internationals are being played and the impact is perhaps less than it would be if the commemorations covered an entire league programme.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think we make our mark on (or about) 11 November.

It's just that it's outside our season so we're inevitably restricted to whatever internationals are being played and the impact is perhaps less than it would be if the commemorations covered an entire league programme.

These days, wreaths are usually laid at the Cenotaph by the RFL and competing clubs' representatives on the eve of the Challenge Cup Final. They are usually joined by people from the Armed Forces Rugby League, the Royal British Legion, and the All-Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group.

Fans can also attend, but the Final is a day trip for most non-Londoners these days.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

No, indeed you didn't. That sentence makes perfect sense, now I read it again.

Got led astray by Anita Bath. I take full responsibility for his deplorable error.

Deplorable? I made the same mistake as you and apologised for it ( before you even made the mistake).

And mind my pronouns😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

No, indeed you didn't. That sentence makes perfect sense, now I read it again.

Got led astray by Anita Bath. I take full responsibility for his deplorable error.

You take full responsibility yet can’t bring yourself to apologise 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The woman blowing The Last Post for the Rooters v Dragons game was superb. You could see how much it meant to her, you could see her tears being held back at the end as she took a big gulp. I love how the codes get behind this day so well, without making it too commercial. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Auto correct mate. Wasn’t that funny. Did you really laugh out loud?

I doubt you were lol’ing by the end of the ANZAC match

It just seemed rather funny given the obvious sincerity in your post.

12 hours ago, Griff said:

That was the Bay of Pigs thing, wasn't it?

Did cross my mind as well. Thought I better not push it.

• Haha 1

Sea Eagles to host international Navy game | Sea Eagles

The Royal Australian Navy Tridents take on the Royal Navy Brothers (UK) from 5.45pm. Click here to watch livestream coverage of the match from 5.30pm.

This will be the eighth time the two sides have met since the first meeting in 2002, with the Royal Navy Brothers holding a 4-3 lead.

The match promises to deliver an evening of intense competition and camaraderie, showcasing the best of military sportsmanship on the rugby league field.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Auto correct mate. Wasn’t that funny. Did you really laugh out loud?

It was. I did.

Turn off auto correct. It's rubbish. Do your own spelling.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You take full responsibility yet can’t bring yourself to apologise 😉 

"Unforgotten" sounds like a Clint Eastwood movie.

In fairness to the lovely Anita, the sentence was easily misconstrued.

Anita would not have been confused if the OP had put "Not forgotten".

So despite the bum steer, Anita is not unforgiven.

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I doubt you were lol’ing by the end of the ANZAC match

I doubt you were loling at Kyle Langford's behind, towards the end of the ANZAC match.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I doubt you were loling at Kyle Langford's behind, towards the end of the ANZAC match.

I don’t lol whilst feeling exasperated. But I wasn’t lol’ing in the first place.