Jason Demetriou sacked

Jason Demetriou has been sacked as South Sydney Rabbitohs coach effective immediately following a crunch board meeting with rumours Wayne Bennett will return in 2025.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield confirmed Demetriou had been informed of his sacking midway through NRL 360.

He reported Ben Hornby would take charge, combining with assistant coaches including John Sutton.

I thought there was a telling and quite strange quote from Blake Solly when he said Souths were a ‘ unique playing group ‘ that needed careful management . Not sure what that means tbh but it seems to say players are holding the whip hand , or some

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I thought there was a telling and quite strange quote from Blake Solly when he said Souths were a ‘ unique playing group ‘ that needed careful management . Not sure what that means tbh but it seems to say players are holding the whip hand , or some

Apparently Sam Burgess tried to say it was asking for trouble with the players having the whip hand. They let Sam go, but it seems he was right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Interesting you mention that because I had an an animated Rabbitoh impressing on me at Olympic Park station that "it's not team first here, it's cody first and 'trell first and no-one stands up to them" and this was after the game they won 😳.

Part of the problem they have in attracting a new coach is the reluctance of experienced coaches to have to come in and muck out the Burrow with a side in need a of a rebuild due to both ageing players and problematic individuals needing to move on along with an board that has not covered itself in glory.

The rot kicked in last year  after the victory at Suncorp when there were a few people, myself included, who were tipping the Bunnies as premiership contenders. Things went downhill from there and continued this season.

I would be surprised if Wayne Bennett came back, for apart from the fact that Benny's last premiership was 14 years ago. There a few fingers pointing in his direction regarding the origin of the poor work culture at Souths.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

13 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I would be surprised if Wayne Bennett came back, for apart from the fact that Benny's last premiership was 14 years ago. There a few fingers pointing in his direction regarding the origin of the poor work culture at Souths.

Bennett's last premiership success is good when compared with Ricky Stuart who last won one 22 years ago.

Bennett's biggest achievement is winning premierships at more than 1 club and scattered across 20 years. On the list of most successful coaches, apart from Bennett, Gibson, Sheens and Arthur Halloway, nearly every other coach with multiple wins did it with the same team in consecutive years. (some had repeats with the same team with short gaps, I think)

This might suggest that coaches' success is limited by the cattle they have to work with. It would be interesting to see Bellamy or Robinson take over at Wests or Titans and see whether they can make a difference.