Match thread: Championship Round 10. Featherstone Rovers v Swinton. Sunday 2nd June 2024.

As Caleb Aekins said in his post match interview up in Barrow, the best thing about rugby league is you get a chance to put things right the following week.

Rovers will be keen to bounce back from last Sunday's disappointment no doubt.

What changes will we see?

Two major things to look out for:

1. Will we go with Bowes in the halves and Addy at LF? Or Addy in the halves and Bowes off the bench?

2. Which two of our four wingers will get picked? Gale, Eden, Wynne and Wacokecoke.

It looks still too early for comebacks from Springer and Lacans.

Not sure if Massey's hamstring will be ok.

Needless to say, the two points on Sunday are vital.

• Like 1

I'll be very surprised if our wings aren't Gale and Eden, fitness permitting (and not just because the social media announced a week ago that the Swinton game would be Eden's home debut). The pairings on Sunday looked a big clue - Gaz Gale partnered Hardcastle on the right, a partnership that has worked well in the past, with Minikin and Wynne on the left. I think Eden will play in his customary left wing position alongside his former C*s team mate.

Arguably rough on Wynne (who was taken off at half time on Sunday, whether planned or not it's hard to say) but he still has the opportunity to be next in line for all four threequarter positions so he should still get a fair bit of game time.

I thought the right edge, which has been a huge problem all year, looked a bit more solid defensively with Hardy and Gale teaming up so I think that's the direction Ford will go.

As to whether we go with Bowes or Addy at half back, it's swings and roundabouts for me. My preference is probably for Addy mainly because he's regularly playing 80 minutes in the middle making 50 tackles per game and that has to be having an impact on his overall contribution. But I can see both sides, part of the problem is that Jones is playing so well that you don't really want to restrict his minutes too much and I certainly don't think Ford wants to use two of his interchanges on hooker swaps.

I don't see any short-term solution to our half back problem, nobody any good is going to want to come to us when they know they'll be surplus to requirements when Lacans is back and I don't think there is anyone available who would be a massive upgrade anyway. Unfortunately we aren't getting much creativity at all down that right hand side which is leaving us increasingly dependent on a moment of magic from Turner, who was badly off with his kicking game on Sunday but along with Jones (when he gets space) looks our only game-breaker at the moment.

It would be good to see a reaction this week. Swinton are no mugs despite their late implosion on Sunday and they were leading Wakefield at Belle Vue after nearly an hour, we will need to be much better than we were against Barrow for sure.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

we will need to be much better than we were against Barrow for sure.

Don't think we can get any worse:kolobok_grin:

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'll be very surprised if our wings aren't Gale and Eden, fitness permitting (and not just because the social media announced a week ago that the Swinton game would be Eden's home debut). The pairings on Sunday looked a big clue - Gaz Gale partnered Hardcastle on the right, a partnership that has worked well in the past, with Minikin and Wynne on the left. I think Eden will play in his customary left wing position alongside his former C*s team mate.

Arguably rough on Wynne (who was taken off at half time on Sunday, whether planned or not it's hard to say) but he still has the opportunity to be next in line for all four threequarter positions so he should still get a fair bit of game time.

I thought the right edge, which has been a huge problem all year, looked a bit more solid defensively with Hardy and Gale teaming up so I think that's the direction Ford will go.

As to whether we go with Bowes or Addy at half back, it's swings and roundabouts for me. My preference is probably for Addy mainly because he's regularly playing 80 minutes in the middle making 50 tackles per game and that has to be having an impact on his overall contribution. But I can see both sides, part of the problem is that Jones is playing so well that you don't really want to restrict his minutes too much and I certainly don't think Ford wants to use two of his interchanges on hooker swaps.

I don't see any short-term solution to our half back problem, nobody any good is going to want to come to us when they know they'll be surplus to requirements when Lacans is back and I don't think there is anyone available who would be a massive upgrade anyway. Unfortunately we aren't getting much creativity at all down that right hand side which is leaving us increasingly dependent on a moment of magic from Turner, who was badly off with his kicking game on Sunday but along with Jones (when he gets space) looks our only game-breaker at the moment.

It would be good to see a reaction this week. Swinton are no mugs despite their late implosion on Sunday and they were leading Wakefield at Belle Vue after nearly an hour, we will need to be much better than we were against Barrow for sure.

Yeah, it'll be Eden & Gale on the wings. Tough on Wynne, but there you go.

The halves are much more complicated. Our best organiser and distributor at the moment is Addy. He has to play in the halves. It's pointless him being in the middle doing 50 tackles. He was shattered on Sunday. Turner is a good runner, does the off the cuff stuff, but is no organiser or distributor.

The kicking game needs a look at. Hoofing up and unders downfield with little chase doesn't work. To be fair at times our field position on the last tackle was so bad there were very few other options.

I admire Jones' 80 minute contribution, but he will be more effective rotating with Bowes. We only used 7 subs out of 8 on Sunday, so that's not a problem. Bowes first 30, Jones the rest of the match. We also took off England for one too many error/penalty. Otherwise he could have done 80 minutes. Bussey can do more minutes now. Albert needs to improve and do more minutes. Having Massey back would help too.

We mention Lacans every week, and we can't wait to see him back,  but he's not Liam Finn, Deryck Fox and Andy kain all rolled into one. If Turner is one halfback, then he's second receiver left and right side. Lacans would need to play both sides, call most plays and take most of the last tackle options. It's a lot to ask of the youngster.

• Like 1

If he is fit i would play Eden at full back,Aekins at stand off and leave Addy at back row .I think we need his distribution in the middle.I know i have said Aekins in not a 6 but he is a better option than Bowes who is not quite up to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If he is fit i would play Eden at full back,Aekins at stand off and leave Addy at back row .I think we need his distribution in the middle.I know i have said Aekins in not a 6 but he is a better option than Bowes who is not quite up to it.

I think this is spot on as fordy said about edens ball distribution in his interview when he signed 

Yeah Eden is an option at FB, but when he played for cas there he was often slated for poor defence, but we are in a difficult situation at HB so why not try Caleb there again.

17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah, it'll be Eden & Gale on the wings. Tough on Wynne, but there you go.

The halves are much more complicated. Our best organiser and distributor at the moment is Addy. He has to play in the halves. It's pointless him being in the middle doing 50 tackles. He was shattered on Sunday. Turner is a good runner, does the off the cuff stuff, but is no organiser or distributor.

The kicking game needs a look at. Hoofing up and unders downfield with little chase doesn't work. To be fair at times our field position on the last tackle was so bad there were very few other options.

I admire Jones' 80 minute contribution, but he will be more effective rotating with Bowes. We only used 7 subs out of 8 on Sunday, so that's not a problem. Bowes first 30, Jones the rest of the match. We also took off England for one too many error/penalty. Otherwise he could have done 80 minutes. Bussey can do more minutes now. Albert needs to improve and do more minutes. Having Massey back would help too.

We mention Lacans every week, and we can't wait to see him back,  but he's not Liam Finn, Deryck Fox and Andy kain all rolled into one. If Turner is one halfback, then he's second receiver left and right side. Lacans would need to play both sides, call most plays and take most of the last tackle options. It's a lot to ask of the youngster.

Completely agree here. This is why I was so mystified to see Bowes back in at 6 and Addy in the middle. We've played better with Addy at 6, then for some reason we just changed it back. On Lacans, it'll be great to have him back, but he's as much of a runner and looking for gaps in the line type of player as Turner is. We had Reynolds in to be the general but that ship sailed.

13 hours ago, Cas rover said:

Yeah Eden is an option at FB, but when he played for cas there he was often slated for poor defence, but we are in a difficult situation at HB so why not try Caleb there again.

Aekins is poor on defence he is always missing when we concede out wide.A good defensive full back should stand 20 behind the defensive line and follow the ball accross the field.Just vunerable to the inside kick then.

22 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Given that I hardly ever watch SL, and Cas never, I didn't know that Eden had played a bit at FB. Might be worth a try.
We've seen Aekins at stand-off, and it doesn't work. But neither does Bowes.

Aekins is a very good full-back at this level though, and Bowes a useful AHB

5 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Aekins is poor on defence he is always missing when we concede out wide.A good defensive full back should stand 20 behind the defensive line and follow the ball accross the field.Just vunerable to the inside kick then.

I can't agree with that. I think he reads the game well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Given that I hardly ever watch SL, and Cas never, I didn't know that Eden had played a bit at FB. Might be worth a try.
We've seen Aekins at stand-off, and it doesn't work. But neither does Bowes.

Aekins is a very good full-back at this level though, and Bowes a useful AHB

Brisbane Broncos signed him as cover for the full back position.

52 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Right. Did he ever play for the Broncos?

According to his UK stats Eden has also filled in at 6 during his career, so who knows? I assumed he was an out-and-out winger 

Played 6 times and scored 1 try.Also played in reserve grade Queensland Cup 33 times and 16 tries.Can't find out if he played full back or winger but he was bought as a full back.

34 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Played 6 times and scored 1 try.Also played in reserve grade Queensland Cup 33 times and 16 tries.Can't find out if he played full back or winger but he was bought as a full back.

Here you go S from Rugby League Project

Club Career

NRL/NSWRL

Wing                               6

NSW/QLD Cup

Fullback                         4

Wing                               23

Centre                             3

English Career

Fullback                          89

Wing                               106

Five-eighth                     6

Bench                              1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, POR said:

Here you go S from Rugby League Project

Club Career

NRL/NSWRL

Wing                               6

NSW/QLD Cup

Fullback                         4

Wing                               23

Centre                             3

English Career

Fullback                          89

Wing                               106

Five-eighth                     6

Bench                              1

This is a much more reliable website than RLP:

https://stats.rugbyleaguerecords.com/playersummary.php?tselect=57

• Like 1

As much as aekins didn’t work last year at 6 he was still one of our best players and is a better option at 6 then bowes, Eden is a better option at fullback than anything we’ve got so it makes sense to me really, jones is a good player and can play 80 but is restricted by that if bowes can play 10 before and 10 after half time giving jones a 20 minute spell I think it works better for the team, bowes could easily cover 13 aswell from the bench 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

As much as aekins didn’t work last year at 6 he was still one of our best players and is a better option at 6 then bowes, Eden is a better option at fullback than anything we’ve got so it makes sense to me really, jones is a good player and can play 80 but is restricted by that if bowes can play 10 before and 10 after half time giving jones a 20 minute spell I think it works better for the team, bowes could easily cover 13 aswell from the bench 

Over to you Fordy.