The NRL Round 13 Thread

As Origin begins to impact on the league of the unexpected

Paramatta Eels v Cronulla Sharks

Both Clint Gutherson and Mitchell Moses return for Paramatta in a line up which looks more like the starting XII Parra fans would have expected at the year. As  I have posted before on here "Gutho" is the heart of the Eels in much the same way that Liam Farrell is at Wigan, and Mitchell Moses contributes not just as a olaymaker but also as an organiser and with his defensive work. Up against a Sharks side that was exposed by the Penny Panthers big time last week much to my embarrasment.😳 Yes, I could envisage them losing at Shark Park, but not being nilled and not by such a large margin. This causes a degree of "mental branding" on a team.

In short to beat the Sharkies you,

• Gain forward dominance and despite Rudolf and Hamlin-Uele being on the bench Parra have the forwards to do this.
  • Pressure the playmakers, in this case Atkinson and Trindall,
  • and finally bomb the wingers in particular Sione Katoa. -

No Nicho Hynes or Cameron McInnes for Sharkies so  - Eels slither past Sharks. 

Newcastle Knights v Canterbury Bulldogs

A coin flip game, but your attention is drawn to the Novocastrians home record. Newcastle is nopt an easy place to gaet a result and the Knights are off a bye week although I expect this to be close - Canterbury are in the Doghouse with me tip them amnd they lose, tip the opposition and they win 🥺

No bone for the Doggies.

Penrith Panthers v St George Illawarra - SKY

When I saw the Panther Cubs in the NSW cup at Belmore earlier this season I was impressed. One of the reasons why the mountain men have shed big names in recent seasons yet remained perennial challengers is the quality of the juniors coming through. By contrast SGI also produce good juniors... who then go to other NRL Clubs. This and the absence of Hunt, Lomax and Su'a with Jack Bird injured. Puts SGI on the back foot. Sadly a favourite of mine in Mikaele Ravalawa this years SGI Bobblehead is a shadow of his former self having lost a step. He joins last years bobblehead the departing Zac Lomax  as the curse of the bobbleheads rears its head at Kogarah.

Cubs claw Dragons

Dolphins v Canberra Raiders - SKY

The fins let me down last week losing to a Wahs side minus NINE first grade players. They are up against Ricky's Reeling Raiders looking to bounce back after being trouted by the Roosters in the Capital. The swing facor for me it's not at  cavernous and half-empty Suncorp but packed Kayo at Redcliffe. So I will stick with the Fins but who knows with them 😱

Sour Milk at Kayo.

Sydney Roosters v North Queensland Cowboys - SKY

Now its the season for upsets in the NR,L and there would be no bigger upset than the depleted cows coming down fromn tropical Townsville to put one over on a Roosters side that still looks pretty good on paper and has the Aussie test captain ready to prove a point over his Origin omission. Even the bookies struggle with this.

Teddy Triumohs.

As always good luck with your tips.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the above ‘tips’. 
Of the five, that first one was the one I pondered on most and was thinking Sharks might bounce back from ladt week’s embarrassment. But looking at the line ups… the Eels forwards and especially Gutho and Moses… I came down on the side of an Eels win.

Posted (edited)

Thursday Game:

xts3Zs9.jpeg

It is hard to tip Parramatta Eels with any real confidence but State of Origin always plays its part in throwing up some strange results and this could be one of them. The Eels have Clint Gutherson and Mitch Moses back while Cronulla Sharks are without a couple of key players.

Our forum tipsters are split on this one.

Sharks to win: 10

Eels to win: 5

Edited by Graham

Posted (edited)

Eels

Late mail: Mitch Moses andClint Guthersonwill make their long-awaited first grade returns. Gutherson’s inclusion will push Blaize Talagi back to the bench. Interim coach Trent Barrett provided an update on Moses and Gutherson while detailing how Talagi will be used. “They’ve (Moses and Gutherson) done everything they can,” Barrett said. “They’ve had a full week of contact and a full week of training and pulled up well, so I’m confident they’ll both play.“There’s no doubt that Blaize is a terrific attacking player, but he’s still very green in some parts of his game, and that’s a development for Blaize. I think we’re able to fit them both in the side, and Blaize will come off the bench and he can play anywhere. It’s good for him because he’s a bit tired after a big month.” Morgan Harper, Joey Lussick and Ryan Matterson, who has not recovered from the illness which has sidelined him for the Eels’ last two matches, were cut from Trent Barrett’s side in the 24-hour update on Wednesday.

Sharks

Late mail: Tuku Hau Tapuha, Niwhai Puru and Jayden Berrell have dropped out of Craig Fitzgibbon’s side at the 24-hour teamlist update. With captain Cam McInnes in Blues camp, Teig Wilton has been given the honouring of captaining the Sharks against the Eels. Braydon Trindall will line up in the halves despite his recent NRL breach notice, replacing Origin star Nicho Hynes.

Source Fox Sports NRL

Edited by Graham

Sivo just steamrollered Kennedy!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm having trouble getting onto this site. I'm using a VPN to get here but the free version is limited to 90 minutes/day so I've only been on here to check if John Drake has come up with a solution yet.

I'm surprised at how good the Eels look at times. They may even win this. I wonder how the NRL decided what the length of Trindall's drunk driving stand down should be. I see Taylan May looks like missing the rest of the season - because of the time it takes to schedule these criminal cases - and he hasn't been convicted yet.