Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So what has SL Achieved ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 5 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My original question, what has the professional game got to show for an injection of 200,000,000 ? has yet to see some encouraging responses.

Basically I have been told that an ailing game has been shored up and that had there been no Murdoch money then then game might not be still be here. It has also been suggested that in another 10 years the game will have taken great strides forward - I certainly hope so because at the moment I do not see that we have anything to get excited about as a result of the 200,000,000 we have been given.

I take it you are looking for some "positives" from the 200M SKY money? Maybe the saving of the game at top level, and the advent of full professionalism isn't positive enough for you Jimmy?

All I can offer is the possibility that the saving of the game and it's professionalisation may lead to the same quality of players coming through in London, Wales and France as come through on the M62 and will see clubs become more equally competetive across the league. Maybe it will see competetive internationals between England, France and Wales. Maybe it will see more people inspired to play and invest in RL rather than RU in more areas and in greater numbers.

And possibly/maybe SKY will have spent 500M on us by then......

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

one major negative has been that the majority of clubs outside super league have sacrificed their youth development structures, and gone for the quick fix of filling their first teams with foreigners in order to attempt to attain super league status. this is still true even after the introduction of the license system..............

sorry forgot to mention that a sizeable chunk of the 200,000,000 has been used to bolster the pension funds of ageing antipodeans, att the expense of young british talent.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 05 July 2010 - 09:08 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 5 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please believe me I don't have a problem !
I have supported this game for over 50 Years.
I have been very fortunate to have seen my chosen club win every trophy they have ever won. That includes three Challenge Cups, a First Division Championship, the Yorkshire Cup, two wins against Australian touring sides.
On the other side of the coin I have seen them relegated three times - and bounce straight back and win promotion three times.
But don't the bad times make the good times so much better ?

If my team never wins another thing no-one can take away the experiences I have enjoyed which are much more numerous than supporters of many other clubs could ever wish for. Memories that will last forever !

Sky money - so we were told , was to benefit the game overall ( I have still got the newspaper cuttings that told us so) yet for the life of me I cannot see where the promised benefits have materialised.
My original question, what has the professional game got to show for an injection of 200,000,000 ? has yet to see some encouraging responses.
Basically I have been told that an ailing game has been shored up and that had there been no Murdoch money then then game might not be still be here- two statements which although a sad reflection on the game are probably true. It has also been suggested that in another 10 years the game will have taken great strides forward - I certainly hope so because at the moment I do not see that we have anything to get excited about as a result of the 200,000,000 we have been given.

I think those are fair comments Jimmy
but I feel you underplay the fact that we actualy have a pro game after SKY recued it from the mess it was. Personally I find that very encouraging in the circmstances.

I think the game overall has taken giant strides forward, and the SKY deal has had a fall out effect that has been extremely important.
Clubs run themselves much better as business enterprises these days. Clubs are far more connected to their communities, clubs have taken far mor seriously the need to give spectators civilised surroundings to watch their sport in, and be more family friendly. Having to develop a national profile has been extremely important in attracting funding: the latest being the 30 million from sport England to develop grass roots rugby league. I have doubts whether any of this woiuld hav happened, certainly not at te speed it has happend without the SKY money. If it wasn't becaue of that why did clubs suddnely siut up and think tat they'd better get their acts together?
We support the same club and by what you say have done for similar period of time. Rightly or wrongly it has been excluded from the new way of structuring the elite competition. But look at the club now compared to what it was? It's a suatainable, progressive sports organisation, with proper relationships with its communities. If you lookat its history that has far from been the case in the not too distant past. I want our club to be at the top level. But I want it to be competitive and add to the competition if it gets there, not be making up thenumbers, or struggling to survive: I've seen too much of the latte in the past.
WE've been lucky in our generation to see our club at its best, but we've also seen it at its worst.

but as well as the money, loo at the broadcast media profile Rugby League woild have without it. The Challenge Cup, the odd international. There woildn't even be the Super League Show. The idea of all other credible sports being available on SKY and Rugby League not, just doesn't get past first base with me.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 05 July 2010 - 10:15 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,740 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 5 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pub teams aren't the equivalent RLC clubs in any shape or form.

He did say social club not RLC club. But some RLC clubs are the equivalent of pub teams, some are very well run amateur clubs, some are somewhere between.

At Coventry we run:

1sts
2nds
Under 16s
Under 14s
Under 12s
Women's
Girls Under 12

Plus have a schools competition and this is about average for the big clubs in the midlands.

However, in the deep South West (i.e. not Gloucestershire and Bristol) every club is just one team of RU players. Also in the midlands we had one club Burntwood who were just a team of RU players wanting a summer keep fit and a few fights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users