Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Every Super League club has suffered questionable calls by the officials

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Jul 8 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some teams seem to get more than their fair share of the 50:50 calls go their way. Over the last few years Leeds have certainly had this in the big games (Millenium magic Tansey off-side try, 2009 GF Lee Smith Off-side try, last weekend against Saints McGuire knock on before the try).

Over time they do tend to even themselves out. Lest just hope a dodgey 50:50 call goes against Leeds in the CC SF next month that sees them knocked out by Saints wink.gif (no chance of this happening if Leeds lovers Bentham, Smith or Silverwood take charge)

huh.gif My irony meter just blew up!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Jul 8 2010, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to say I can't remember any players looking " fed up to the back teeth before they even kick off", in fact one thing which always sticks in my mind is that the team generally seem to give plenty of effort (though, yes, I'll concede the odd individual on occasion) and, to me, they try their best and put in the grunt, though clearly I have to concede the skill on show often isn't good enough. The effort suggests they do respect the coach though, for my money anyway.

Out of interest you're not THE Errol Stock, are you!!

Well I concede that I am referring to last season - as the performance against Warrington (home) did it for me.. I remember also the warm up before we lost to Crusaders (home) - boy were there some long faces on the field then - soon passed to us on the terraces that day.

This could be a long and complex debate - which matches the situation up there! Rather than swipe Micks thread - I will start another when we know who the coach is.

And a special BIG thanks - the first person to question my ID smile.gif No I am not the Errol Stock - but his name and his play have been burned in my head since 1965 - when I saw him play along with Garth Budge - two Aussies with brown, sun tanned legs, emphasised by playing on a snow covered pitch - just fantastic.. The joy of rugby league - memories that won't die and I still feel the same now as I did then....

#23 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Does Garth Budge still live around here? I could have sworn I sat next to him in the opticians a couple of years ago, though why would you choose Bradford over Queensland?

I suppose he could have a doppelganger.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#24 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Stan Doffarf @ Jul 8 2010, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Garth Budge still live around here? I could have sworn I sat next to him in the opticians a couple of years ago

laugh.gif

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 8 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one is saying they are biased against the Bulls, what we are saying is that how they interpret the rules is highly inconsistent and seems to be unregulated by Cummings.

Human beings inconsistent - never?

Again your mind stretches the point beyond belief.

You have NO evidence for "highly inconsistent" and no evidence that Mr. Cummins does not do everrything he can to try to acieve that consistency".

Your mind is creating nonsenses Mick, why not drop this silly obsession??

#26 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Does Garth Budge still live around here? I could have sworn I sat next to him in the opticians a couple of years ago, though why would you choose Bradford over Queensland?

Queensland....Queensbury, virtually the same isn't it??

He used to live just off Halifax Road, near Horsfall playing fields, though that was a good few years back. Long after his rugby career would have ended though. He could have married over here and stayed, of course I don't think he would have been the first to do that.

Edited by Bulliac, 09 July 2010 - 09:26 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Jul 9 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Human beings inconsistent - never?

Again your mind stretches the point beyond belief.

You have NO evidence for "highly inconsistent" and no evidence that Mr. Cummins does not do everrything he can to try to acieve that consistency".

Your mind is creating nonsenses Mick, why not drop this silly obsession??

He has dropped the obsession, remember he said a couple of weeks ago he won't be talking about the refs anymore. sleep.gif

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 9 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has dropped the obsession, remember he said a couple of weeks ago he won't be talking about the refs anymore. sleep.gif

Mick - you need therapy and the best therapy is a refereeing course, and a few games under your belt facing people who think like you mate wink.gif no offence intended ever biggrin.gif

#29 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Jul 9 2010, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mick - you need therapy and the best therapy is a refereeing course, and a few games under your belt facing people who think like you mate wink.gif no offence intended ever biggrin.gif

We tried that mate but for some strange reason he always had an excuse why he couldn't attend. You just can't help some people. Especially those that don't want to be helped.

#30 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (sallywt @ Jul 9 2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We tried that mate but for some strange reason he always had an excuse why he couldn't attend. You just can't help some people. Especially those that don't want to be helped.

Maybe he just doesn't want to.

Should paley and everyone else who criticises Union on the Cross Code forum have a season of kick and clap?

I for one would love to see an end to endless tedious ref posts by Gledhill, but the stock 'put up or shut up' arguments are just as boring.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#31 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 9 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe he just doesn't want to.

Should paley and everyone else who criticises Union on the Cross Code forum have a season of kick and clap?

I for one would love to see an end to endless tedious ref posts by Gledhill, but the stock 'put up or shut up' arguments are just as boring.

agree they are as bead as each other.

IGNORE button should be used not playground "he said, she said"

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 9 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agree they are as bead as each other.

IGNORE button should be used not playground "he said, she said"

Did someone say something? unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 9 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did someone say something? unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif laugh.gif

#34 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

Garth worked at Bradford Council in the Architects department until he retired.. I regularly saw him in the main stand at the Bulls home games - the last time was circa 2005. Can only guess he is still around.

Can't remember when Errol Stock returned to Australia but found this team named as a classic Wests side;

The great 1972 Wests squad
1. Kev Denman / Errol Stock / Greg Heading
2. Rodger Kuhn
3. Rob Thompson
4. Eric Robinson
5. Wayne Stewart
6. John White© / Kev Rafferty
7. Greg Oliphant / Des Lea
8. Nev McDonald
9. Ian Robson
10. Kev Treschman / Jeff McKenzie / Richie Twist
11. Stew McAllister / Bob Green
12. Arty Connell
13. Ray McCarron
Coach: Norm Pope (played 1 game as a 41yo and kicked 5 goals)

#35 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

Back in the Eighties we played Salford in a Lancs Cup tie at the Willows and I was standing next to the by then retired ref, Peter Massey who was a Salford man. When Salford's first try went over he turned to me and said 'you won't win this, this one's (meaning the ref) a homer'. Just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick, 10 July 2010 - 09:33 AM.

#36 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Jul 10 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in the Eighties we played Salford in a Lancs Cup tie at the Willows and I was standing next to the by then retired ref, Peter Massey who was a Salford man. When Salford's first try went over he turned to me and said 'you won't win this, this one's (meaning the ref) a homer'. Just thought I'd mention it.

I wonder if in twenty years time I'll be sat in Saints new ground next to Steve Ganson and he'll say "you know Mick, you were right. All those early years in Super League I did screw the Bulls"

laugh.gif biggrin.gif

#37 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

If all teams "suffer questionable calls", that must ipso facto mean all their relevant opponents benefit from them.
Ie, swings/roundabouts.....
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#38 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jul 10 2010, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If all teams "suffer questionable calls", that must ipso facto mean all their relevant opponents benefit from them.
Ie, swings/roundabouts.....

You remember about, ooh thirty odd years back, referees always used to give one very early offside decision each way, and then not penalise the offence for the rest of the game? Our opponents ALWAYS got theirs under the sticks and we ALWAYS got ours in our own half!! Bloody refs...............

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users