TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The business end of the season.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Its all very well hammering Salford and getting all excited about beating a top 3 side, but for all the Wigan and Warrington fans getting all bigheaded, wetting their knickers and reckon their sides are becoming superstars overnight remember this:

You've won f-all until, October.

The Mickey Mouse Cup is nothing but a novelty distraction.

The Hubcap is something only Saints used to get excited by.

Until you've got to Old Trafford and beaten the best, you're nothing.

PS - Even then, you've 3 in a row to beat.
Posted Image

#2 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 30 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its all very well hammering Salford and getting all excited about beating a top 3 side, but for all the Wigan and Warrington fans getting all bigheaded, wetting their knickers and reckon their sides are becoming superstars overnight remember this:

Did Leeds get beaten at home this evening by a team previously labelled as big game bottlers by any chance? and will all those injuries to blame it on as well wink.gif

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#3 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 30 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did Leeds get beaten at home this evening by a team previously labelled as big game bottlers by any chance? and will all those injuries to blame it on as well wink.gif

Tonight matttered not one jot and certainly wasnt a 'big' game.

The tombola prize is already Wigan's - has been for weeks.

Lets see what happens when the push comes to the shove.

Edited by Northern Exposure, 30 July 2010 - 10:47 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

You really are trying too hard. laugh.gif

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

What was interesting for me was that Leeds put so much into the game, picked their strongest side, talked up its significance, had a numerical advantage for reasons unclear to the rugby watching world....

... and still lost. That's 9 defeats and a draw already.

I thought that Leeds would walk away with everything this year, and had been discounting all their defeats because it was likely to be alright on the night, but they are just not all that. Not sure why a team should go off the boil so much and so quickly - maybe they just kept the same players together too long, but Saints could well blow them off the park next week, finishing 5th is a distinct possibility, and all of the other 3 best teams this year will relish playing them in the play offs.
Leeds' "stability", which has been such a strength, means that the group of players in decline will be together for another year. With so many of their core players with so many miles on the clock, those Leeds-Bradford games could be closer than I thought.
Last night was the business end of the season according to Leeds themselves. It wasn't even close enough to be tense in the end.

#6 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 31 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was interesting for me was that Leeds put so much into the game, picked their strongest side, talked up its significance, had a numerical advantage for reasons unclear to the rugby watching world....

I thought that Leeds would walk away with everything this year, and had been discounting all their defeats because it was likely to be alright on the night, but they are just not all that. Not sure why a team should go off the boil so much and so quickly - maybe they just kept the same players together too long, but Saints could well blow them off the park next week, finishing 5th is a distinct possibility, and all of the other 3 best teams this year will relish playing them in the play offs.
Leeds' "stability", which has been such a strength, means that the group of players in decline will be together for another year. With so many of their core players with so many miles on the clock, those Leeds-Bradford games could be closer than I thought.
Last night was the business end of the season according to Leeds themselves. It wasn't even close enough to be tense in the end.

Well wrote and well put.

I didn't think about it such a way, but your right, Leeds / Bradford may actually be fighting for the 8th Spot next year wink.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

#7 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 31 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So long as we finish in the top 4-5 after the awful season we've had, i'll be happy.

If anyone can win it from there, its us.

You can't win every game...

Posted Image

#8 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

As usual, you are talking out of the business end of your ######.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Jul 31 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As usual, you are talking out of the business end of your ######.

As opposed to the pleasure end...? blink.gif

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

After that abject performance last night I reckon our season is OVER, no pace, no aggression taking the ball up, forever running across the field, big changes need to be made, some of the players that have just had contract extensions certainly didn't deserve them after last nights performance.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#11 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 31 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So long as we finish in the top 4-5 after the awful season we've had, i'll be happy.

If anyone can win it from there, its us.

You can't win every game...

...and Leeds showed they can't either.
Going to an interesting last few weeks, and anyone in the top 4 could still do the double.
Depending which 2 you then count.
Still anyone's.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jul 31 2010, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and Leeds showed they can't either.
Going to an interesting last few weeks, and anyone in the top 4 could still do the double.
Depending which 2 you then count.
Still anyone's.

Which 2 are you counting with Hull then?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users