Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shenton signs for Saints

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Aug 3 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mmmm anyone think thats suspicious wink.gif

People have sued for less! I am confident the mods/webby can confirm there is only one of me on here, although I suspect there are some who can't say the same!!!

#22 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 3 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People have sued for less! I am confident the mods/webby can confirm there is only one of me on here, although I suspect there are some who can't say the same!!!

and thank ###### there is only one BOAB

#23 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 3 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's padges trolling account

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#24 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Aug 3 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's padges trolling account

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Dave will shoot you, or ask for your source wink.gif tongue.gif

#25 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

Michael Shenton owes Cas nothing.
Yes he came through their junior system and he has repaid them three fold.
He has stayed loyal to them for the past two years on modest wages.This is despite ###### aussie signings filling their pockets on oversized contracts.
Shenton is as honest a pro as you could ever wish to meet.He very rarely misses a tackle although i agree that his attack options could be improved.
In conclusion this young player deserves a chance at a top four club and i hope he goes well.

#26 SonikGav

SonikGav
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Its not about anyone owing anything. Shenton is a Cas lad born and bred. Hes one of those that wanted to play for the club as a kid, the type that would say 'the money doesnt matter, i just wanna play for Cas'. Now hes an adult he has to consider his future so he's had to make a big decision. The 'wrench' he mentions is that heart vs head choice. Not that he feels obliged to Cas.

I agree though that hes done well but you gotta understand the desire to better himself. There are some players that get international call up just cos they play for a big club and its easier to get noticed. Shenny is one of those few players that Cas have brought up that stand out for their talent not their club.

The only downside is Cas dont get anything for losing one of the talents they have developed. He's out of contract at the end of the year so just moving on for free.

Edited by SonikGav, 03 August 2010 - 10:06 PM.

#27 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (SonikGav @ Aug 3 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its not about anyone owing anything. Shenton is a Cas lad born and bred. Hes one of those that wanted to play for the club as a kid, the type that would say 'the money doesnt matter, i just wanna play for Cas'. Now hes an adult he has to consider his future so he's had to make a big decision. The 'wrench' he mentions is that heart vs head choice. Not that he feels obliged to Cas.

I agree though that hes done well but you gotta understand the desire to better himself. There are some players that get international call up just cos they play for a big club and its easier to get noticed. Shenny is one of those few players that Cas have brought up that stand out for their talent not their club.

The only downside is Cas dont get anything for losing one of the talents they have developed. He's out of contract at the end of the year so just moving on for free.
Good post.
In a nutshell Michael has come to the end of the road with Cas.

#28 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 3 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there was another one, you'd love him just as much as you love me - and you wouldn't be alone.

#29 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

I'm pretty happy with this signing. He's not the finished article yet and I dont think Saints will see the best of him next season as there's always a bit of a settling in period when a young player leaves him hometown club where's he's spent his whole career and moves to a new one (Long, Sculthorpe & Newlove were all pretty average in their first seasons but turned out to be fantastic players).
Is he currently as good as Gidley or Lyon were - no - Lyon was a freakish talent and Gidley was an established international who has seen & done pretty much everything in the game, but I do think Shenton has the potential to become a really top class centre and his style of play will fit in well at Saints.

#30 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 3 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree back then we had a ###### ground, small fanbase and were a feeder club.

Now look at us go! rolleyes.gif

Now we've got a small ground, a ###### fanbase and we're a feed-off-other-clubs club.

And we've got the ex-Melbourne Storm accountants working for us. tongue.gif

#31 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

These sorts of player moves are against the spirit of an even competition. Saints are notable offenders having done something similar with Mick Potter, which turned one of our expansion teams, Les Cats into a poor team

Something needs to be done to stop the better players signing for the better clubs, so that we have a more even comp

Shenton was already picked for England so why move. Since Cas get sky money surely they could have afforded to keep him?

We definitely need a draft for overseas players and perhaps all players bar youth players developed at that club

#32 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

Not a scary signing, but could work out well I suppose. With KC* and Gidley leaving, Graham eyeing the NRL and Eastmond the dark side, I expected Saints to produce a Matai class master signing.

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Aug 4 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a scary signing, but could work out well I suppose. With KC* and Gidley leaving, Graham eyeing the NRL and Eastmond the dark side, I expected Saints to produce a Matai class master signing.

Saints are probably feeling the pinch, after all they are moving to new stadium.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#34 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Maybe, with spending next year in Widnes they may just be treading water for now.

#35 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 4 2010, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty happy with this signing. He's not the finished article yet and I dont think Saints will see the best of him next season as there's always a bit of a settling in period when a young player leaves him hometown club where's he's spent his whole career and moves to a new one (Long, Sculthorpe & Newlove were all pretty average in their first seasons but turned out to be fantastic players).
Is he currently as good as Gidley or Lyon were - no - Lyon was a freakish talent and Gidley was an established international who has seen & done pretty much everything in the game, but I do think Shenton has the potential to become a really top class centre and his style of play will fit in well at Saints.

You are right about him not being the finished article. This season, Shenton is statistically behind the following English centres; Senior, Atkins, Bridge, Gleeson, Yeaman, with only his superior defence separating him from the likes of Welham, Sykes and Clubb who have offered more in attack but are awful in defence.

Shenton has a long way to go to be a top class centre - if he has that potential at all. Saints will undoubtedly improve him as a player - but I think his upper ceiling is more a Gleeson (i.e, defensively solid and above average in attack), rather than gamebreakers like Lyon, Gidley or Newlove.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#36 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 4 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These sorts of player moves are against the spirit of an even competition. Saints are notable offenders having done something similar with Mick Potter, which turned one of our expansion teams, Les Cats into a poor team

Something needs to be done to stop the better players signing for the better clubs, so that we have a more even comp

Shenton was already picked for England so why move. Since Cas get sky money surely they could have afforded to keep him?

We definitely need a draft for overseas players and perhaps all players bar youth players developed at that club

I think Cas would have tried to re-sign him but the player himself wanted a move. Some players have ambition to win trophies & no disrespect to Cas but he has a bigger chance of that with Saints
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#37 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there was another one, you'd love him just as much as you love me - and you wouldn't be alone.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

your a bobby munt, but great fun wink.gif

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 4 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err, nah.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.