Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Andy Wilson's latest offering

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Wakefield Trinity's ability to punch above their financial weight on the field had helped to rescue them last time around but they appear to be running out of steam.

http://www.guardian....ty-super-league
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#2 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

I lost all hope of an informed and impartial piece after his opening line, a sly dig at league's encampment around the M62...

"Widnes supporters might as well start checking out the route maps to Hull now (not that it's a very complicated journey get on the M62 at one end and drive all the way to the other)"

....is this guy for real? It irks me to think that someone with such a thinly veiled loathing of our game is in the privileged position of writing about it for a living.

#3 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Obviously this is a load of hot air from the guardian, I generally find that the RL community is much more well informed than the national press.

Anyway Burt go enjoy your holiday and get buying pasties.

#4 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

The sad fact is that Wakefield would tonk Widnes every day of the week but because of their seeming stubborness to share a stadium they are perhaps going to miss out on top flight stadium to a far inferior club.
Posted Image

#5 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Aug 5 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sad fact is that Wakefield would tonk Widnes every day of the week but because of their seeming stubborness to share a stadium they are perhaps going to miss out on top flight stadium to a far inferior club.

Trolling, obviously.

We've got a 300k cap and they have a super league one. Duh. No one could ever make the step up if this was actually something worth considering.

#6 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

which ever team miss out on sl (cas wakey or salford) my guess is that most of there players will sign for the team taking there place (widnes halifax or who ever)
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#7 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 5 2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trolling, obviously.

We've got a 300k cap and they have a super league one. Duh. No one could ever make the step up if this was actually something worth considering.

No, not really.

Exactly what calibre of players do you expect Widnes to attract?

You're currently 8th in a league of 12, which isnt exactly groundbreaking, nor attractive.

I'd expect you'd be getting whoever loses their licences' cast-offs and a smattering of out of contract players.

Having a fairly new stadium and surviving off Wigan and Saints' academy players ad infinitum doesnt really seem too stable a plan.

It would seem to me that the main reason Widnes would get a licence is that the RFL feel duty-bound after picking Salford over them last time.

Bit of a sad state of affairs really.

The best team should go up. Otherwise it makes a mockery of a team bothering to actually win games.

Posted Image

#8 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Aug 5 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're currently 8th in a league of 12, which isnt exactly groundbreaking, nor attractive.

There are only 10 in our League. Shows how much you know.

The best team should go up. Otherwise it makes a mockery of a team bothering to actually win games.

But Licencing is about the strongest Clubs, NOT the strongest Teams.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#9 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

No, not really.

I'd expect you'd be getting whoever loses their licences' cast-offs and a smattering of out of contract players.

Having a fairly new stadium and surviving off Wigan and Saints' academy players ad infinitum doesnt really seem too stable a plan.

It would seem to me that the main reason Widnes would get a licence is that the RFL feel duty-bound after picking Salford over them last time.

Don't be pathetic.

First off, you said we wouldn't beat Wakefield on the pitch. DURRRRRRR. Don't add caveats.

Our academy is full to the brim of Widnesians, we have the odd player from outside the town but the overwhelming majority are home town players. You've done no research in this, you've been trolling for a few days, you've done no research. TROLL.

Now behave.

#10 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

No, not really.

A few points here. Widnes would be able to attract the same players that Wakefield currently have and have had in the their super league tenure. To say Wakey would beat Widnes every day of the week is valid but its no surprise. Stating a fairly obvious point, just like saying a semi pro team would beat an amateur club all the time, its pretty obvious.

Your last point sums it up for me, I couldn't agree more. The whole franchise set up, puts sporting achievements fairly low on the pecking order of "boxes to tick" in relation to other things.

#11 The Clan

The Clan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Andy Wilsons column is so full of inaccuracies and summations based on rumour that it has zero credibility and neither does he.

After months of messages, press releases, statements and so on all stating the facts re: Outline Planning Permission and Full Planning Permission he still makes the basic error of confusing the two

He chooses to ignore the fact that Wakefield has he full funding if/when they get the Planning approval for the stadium.

He states that Wakefield has ruled out a ground share but they have not, they have ruled out moving to Glasshoughton. On the same subject he chooses to ignore that Castleford have done the same in reverse.

What a ridiculously flawed and lazy article this and Andy Wilson both are

#12 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

Here's an idea. Why don't we say that the team which finishes bottom of Superleague goes down and the team which wins the Championship goes up? I don't know whether other sports have tried such a revolutionary approach but it might be worth a thought.
Unfortunately, that would mean we'd have to concern ourselves with actual results on the field of play rather than the more important matters of crowd size and stadium size.
Probably a silly idea. That's why you can see that no other sport has ever thought of it. We could call it something like .. er .. promotion and relegation. No. It would never work. Too unfair. Let's kick out Wakefield and promote Widnes .... who are where in the League this season? Ah ... yes.

#13 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Andy Wilson writing a negative piece? I would love to say I am shocked by this, but y'know..........

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,785 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 5 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are only 10 in our League. Shows how much you know.
unsure.gif Am I missing something?

#15 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 5 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unsure.gif Am I missing something?

Everyone makes mistakes! wink.gif

Since were all friends lets split the difference and agree on 11! biggrin.gif

#16 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (R J Wagsmith @ Aug 5 2010, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's an idea. Why don't we say that the team which finishes bottom of Superleague goes down and the team which wins the Championship goes up? I don't know whether other sports have tried such a revolutionary approach but it might be worth a thought.
Unfortunately, that would mean we'd have to concern ourselves with actual results on the field of play rather than the more important matters of crowd size and stadium size.
Probably a silly idea. That's why you can see that no other sport has ever thought of it. We could call it something like .. er .. promotion and relegation. No. It would never work. Too unfair. Let's kick out Wakefield and promote Widnes .... who are where in the League this season? Ah ... yes.

Only really relevant if you want RL to continue as a sport where at the elite level it is confined to a few small towns in the north west and some areas of yorkshire and humberside.

#17 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

I am surprised at the constant trashing of Andy Wilson on here, He has written a well-balanced article from a well sourced journalist. That is sourced as opposed to sauced which seems to be the state of some posters on this forum...

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#18 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

I'm sure the RFL are taring up the franchise rulebook as we speak after that constructive Wildean argument.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#19 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Im sorry, such rational arguments aren't allowed on this forum. tongue.gif
Posted Image

#20 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Aug 6 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im sorry, such rational arguments aren't allowed on this forum. tongue.gif

Why don't we just revert back to the time when RL was just one division.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users