Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Wire do the Cup and League Double?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 19 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wires problem is (and I hope they continue) want to play a more high risk brand of RL which becomes an even bigger gamble in the wet weather. The Roosters under Brian adopt the same philosophy but the weather is far more conducive to the style of play.

I do think the coach made a mistake re Myler. Once for the Cup Final you can understand but repeated tinkering and in addition tinkering at 9 creates instability. A couple of players are over rated and do not earn their salary. Carvell is the obvious example. However, Wire do have a better youth development programme now and one or two very good youngsters are emerging. Wire need these youngsters coming through because time is limited in terms of the experience core of players and their impact could be lost before the youngsters are blooded and brought through.

Time will tell but I hope Wire continue to follow the Smith philosophy.

Can't disagree with much of that.

I have also been a touch disappointed with some of Smith's tinkering at the back end, but then shouldn't coaches always be learning as well as the players? Maybe he will learn from this, or maybe he will still be happy that the right choice was made.

Personally our big issue in attack for me was Monas. His passing was back to it's worst and he broke up our momentum on numerous occasions, and this kept us under pressure in defence in that first half. The bloke is not a scrum half, was dire there in his first year, and needs to get back to 9.

#62 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 20 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't disagree with much of that.

I have also been a touch disappointed with some of Smith's tinkering at the back end, but then shouldn't coaches always be learning as well as the players? Maybe he will learn from this, or maybe he will still be happy that the right choice was made.

Personally our big issue in attack for me was Monas. His passing was back to it's worst and he broke up our momentum on numerous occasions, and this kept us under pressure in defence in that first half. The bloke is not a scrum half, was dire there in his first year, and needs to get back to 9.

the cup win, fantastic and professional as it was, caused problems in subsequent games. we went from a fluent "we'll score more points than you" team to a "lets try not to lose" team. monaghan has to be at 9, which means higham or clarke have decisions to make, for me clarke should move to 2nd row.

as for the rest morley, westwood, wood, hicks, king and briers were stand outs. carvell needs to step up a bit next season, it's a surprise to see him in the england squad, i'd have picked wood before him.

still, 2 trophies in 2 years isn't that bad!
foxes or poor people?

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (sam @ Sep 21 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the cup win, fantastic and professional as it was, caused problems in subsequent games. we went from a fluent "we'll score more points than you" team to a "lets try not to lose" team. monaghan has to be at 9, which means higham or clarke have decisions to make, for me clarke should move to 2nd row.

as for the rest morley, westwood, wood, hicks, king and briers were stand outs. carvell needs to step up a bit next season, it's a surprise to see him in the england squad, i'd have picked wood before him.

Yep to all of this.

Carvell has been outstanding in odd games for us, but odd games are not good enough at the top level. Wood has been outstanding, I agree with you.

I think one of our biggest issues is still that we either blow teams away or we lose tight games. I don't think we have mastered winning the tight games. We lost three of them to Saints, one to Wigan, one to Leeds and with more composure could have completed the comeback against Huddersfield.

Either way, we are a far better team than anything I have seen play in P&B, so I can't grumble too much.

#64 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

A key question is who is going to come in from the obviously talented juniors? It would only take 2 or 3 to make a breakthrough to supplement an already formidable squad.
I wonder about the balance in the pack - I think there are too many identikit big rough lads and not enough ball playing/agility there. Hence when a team gets its nippy steppers among the forwards they are really exposed. Obviously, they are struggling to work out a role for Myler, but to take the obvious Moran analogy further, when he was running off a Jimmy Dymock he was deadly, when he was asked to run the show he was a disaster. It won't happen, but if Wire had Cooke at 13 (and he could be persuaded to play to a plan), with Hodgson at 1 they could be unbeatable next year.
How they replace the older core of the team will be an interesting challenge, though Smith must realise Briers and Morley aren't going to be better next year than they were this year.
Plenty for Smith to cogitate on over the winter.

#65 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 21 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep to all of this.

Carvell has been outstanding in odd games for us, but odd games are not good enough at the top level. Wood has been outstanding, I agree with you.

I think one of our biggest issues is still that we either blow teams away or we lose tight games. I don't think we have mastered winning the tight games. We lost three of them to Saints, one to Wigan, one to Leeds and with more composure could have completed the comeback against Huddersfield.

Either way, we are a far better team than anything I have seen play in P&B, so I can't grumble too much.

In fairness, in the tight games lost the deciding factor has been goal kicks on a couple of occasions. Hodgson will address that, hopefully.

#66 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Sep 21 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you look at it like that, you'll still end up this year with more than all but one team.
People called Romans they go the house

#67 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Sep 21 2010, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fairness, in the tight games lost the deciding factor has been goal kicks on a couple of occasions. Hodgson will address that, hopefully.

ah yes, hodgson! still not convinced. riley has said several times that he prefers fb so there maybe a bit of job sharing there as smith has said he doesn't expect hodgson to play every week.

which brings me to mathers, i don't think he's been hard done by as that's the nature of sport, but he won us a cup final and hopefully the fans will remember that.

oh, and solomona. ridiculously gifted which more than makes up for his, how shall we say, relaxed approach to defence!
foxes or poor people?

#68 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Sep 21 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, that's a fair point, but I also think that in all of the games mentioned, with a little more composure we could have put the games to bed without worrying about goalkicking becoming an issue. That said, I am probably being harsh on them, as the three teams I mentioned are all champion teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users