Rugby League World
League Express
Garry Schofield Testimonial Brochure (Signed)

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
818 replies to this topic

#801 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Last Thursday, with 10 days to go before my marathon and after 5 months of training, i got some unpleasant calf pain that isn't going away properly even with rest, massage and medication.

I'm going for a short run later to test it. I will be absolutely gutted if I can't start, or worse, finish the race. Wish me luck....

:( :(

Good luck. A sports physio I used to know recommended regular ice packs for that sort of thing. You can also get a cold wrap thing that you soak in alcohol and as it evaporates it really cools your muscles down and seems to penetrate quite deep and worked well for me.

#802 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

I did it! 4 hours 8 minutes 39 seconds with no stopping or walking.

It took several days to recover and even this morning's parkrun was hard.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Running targets in 2015 - PB at all distances, complete first Marathon, run more than 1000 total miles. 

#803 JonM

JonM
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

Well done, Tim.

#804 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

Many congratulations. Great effort Tim.

#805 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

Fantastic and well done. You must be very proud and happy??

I finally started my comeback a fortnight ago, not ran for 6 months and manged 4,2&3 mile efforts.
Not sure wether to do another half marathon, however I'll build up distance and then decide.

Made up this page has contiuned to run, haha........ Lovely to see so many posters running and supporting each other, I wasn't interested or motivated in running after my injury, however I'm back and will post updates as and when

Good luck all and thanks for keeping this topic alive, let's hope more people get involved with fitness and improve their own wellbeing and encourage others...... You can do it IF you want to

#806 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Ive just signed for a 110 mile bike ride in a couple of weeks....

#807 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

22.28 at park run , matched my pb which was set around 18months ago . Well pleased .

#808 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

I did Doncaster parkrun yesterday (nice course) and North Lincs Half today. Weather was horrible and 2 weeks after a marathon so I was happy with 1.52.

That's my 10th Half Marathon and I'm aiming for 4 more this year. Over the summer I'm going to work on improving 5K - 10K times.

Calf still not right so I might get some physio on it.

Running targets in 2015 - PB at all distances, complete first Marathon, run more than 1000 total miles. 

#809 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

seen the pictures from half today ,nasty weather , sooner you than me running in that weather , well done .

#810 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

22.15 new pb at last weeks parkrun . Feeling pleased .

#811 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Good stuff.
If I'm back by Saturday, I think I will do my first PR for a few weeks.

#812 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

Good one.

Calf still not right but I'm flying at the moment. Did my best parkrun since September and then ran my fastest 10K (start to finish) at Askern last week. Sadly it wasn't a proper PB because it was hand-timed so added a few seconds to the watch time.

Off to run the Humber Bridge 10K on Sunday. Weather looking a bit grim so might not be fun on top of the bridge!

#813 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

New PB at parkrun today of 27:42. Pleased with that and makes up a little for missing Magic.

There are now 2 park runs in Bradford so have to do the new one soon.

#814 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

It was a bit windy on the bridge yesterday so no PB but it's an interesting and challenging run. Thankfully it wasn't raining too much.

#815 JonM

JonM
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

I did the crossbay challenge yesterday - a half marathon across the sands of Morecambe Bay, at low tide obviously. Not a PB course as you're wading through knee-high water at various points and there's a stiff breeze off the sea, but an absolutely stunning location to run in. Definitely one of the most memorable races I've ever done.

#816 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:30 PM

No cycling for a few weeks for me. After my accident on Thursday I'm booked in for corrective surgery on Friday

#817 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

Suddenly developed a turn of speed and broke my 10K PB at Owston ferry last week and then got a parkrun PB on Saturday.

That sounds interesting Jon!

#818 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

No cycling for a few weeks for me. After my accident on Thursday I'm booked in for corrective surgery on Friday

Good luck with that and the reset of your recovery.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#819 JonM

JonM
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Suddenly developed a turn of speed and broke my 10K PB at Owston ferry last week and then got a parkrun PB on Saturday.

That sounds interesting Jon!

Two PBs in quick succession sounds good.

Can't recommend the Cross Bay Challenge too highly. It's not the cheapest race, although that's OK as all the proceeds are going to CancerCare who put it on, but it's very well organised and an absolutely unique  place to run. The course is marked out with a flag in the sand every mile. Couple of interesting moments where I strayed too far from the racing line and felt my foot sink into the sand and there can't be many other races where you have to keep an eye out for jellyfish and crabs? 

There were a bunch of people cycling the course, on bikes with very fat tyres (maybe 15cm wide), which looked like quite hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users